Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

SYMPTOMS OF THE SOL MUHAHA (head gasket and overheating problems)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SYMPTOMS OF THE SOL MUHAHA (head gasket and overheating problems)

del sol d16z6 symptoms, tell me if one problem is causing these, been having HG and overheat problems since i bought the car.

When i bought the car - overheated, coolant lines werent connected, no coolant.

What ive fixed - head gasket, doesnt overheat, fluctuating idle, oil leak, new thermostat

symptoms im currently facing - (get ready for this list)
1.Coolant leak- slowly causing low coolant
2.Very Thin White smoke (ONLY when at high RPM in 1st gear, and ONLY when coolant is full)
3.Backfiring (just small popping noises from exhaust)
4.After driving long distance or SOMETIMES shortly in town, temp. rises to a about 3 bars away from hot (never fully overheats), stays there a bit, drops back to normal. this is ONLY when i have low coolant, (this cycle continues over and over til car is cool)

OK here is the detail that ties most symptoms together. 2 days ago The fluctuating temp. started again. i was low on coolant but i know it slowly leaks, i had no white smoke. i refilled radiator, no more fluctuating temp, but i had the white smoke (1st gear high rpm) oil levels were dropping due to a leak, but 2 days ago i fixed that oil leak so no more disappearing oil (for now) oil level is same. dont know if its the oil or coolant to light of smoke to tell. i have no muffler.

SO i think that when coolant is full it is getting burned causing the smoke. but when coolant is low not enough to be burned, leading to no smoke. but the shortage on coolant may be the cause of the fluctuating temp.

Please any advice will be appreciated, sorry if this is confusing. im only 16 teaching myself about cars so bear with me ive done alot of mechanical work for my age but not a pro.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:34 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: SYMPTOMS OF THE SOL MUHAHA

Headgasket. With the overheating you probably warped the head. Did you get it check out?
Old 01-22-2012, 12:59 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

You bought a car without the collant lines hooked up!?

Where is the car leaking from? What is it leaking? Have you done a leak down test?

You bought a peice of ****. Someone really got you.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The cooling system needs to be pressure tested to find the leak. The fluctuating is most likely due to air in the system around the sensor.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:27 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by H2296sol
The cooling system needs to be pressure tested to find the leak. The fluctuating is most likely due to air in the system around the sensor.
That doesn't explain the smoke.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your right, However i would tackle one thing at a time hoping that a simple over heat didn't warp a good head and a pressure test would confirm a leak. As far as the smoking mine did the same at higher RPMs. The amount of oil leaking past the rings for a light smoke only at high revs would be negligible on the dip stick taking days to possibly visually ID on the stick.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1) drive back with a friend trailing behind you
2) demand money back
3) slap them in the face with the money
4) get in the your friend's car and drive off

but, seriously. people are so shady.
i had something similar that happened to me. i went through 3 years of hell.
NEVER AGAIN D; i love my new 97 del sol.
except my coolant lines were attached.
but, it's NEVER just one thing when someone sells you a POS.
it's always one after the next. i had all that hg problem, then oil leak, then fluctuating idle, then fluctuating temp... then this year, it went back to it all again thinking i fixed it all... found out distributor was dying on me... and ecu was idling low. there was a reason why they sold you that car.
however, the same thing like what you described happened to me too, ended up having to get a new radiator.

when you did your hg, did you do your waterpump too?
Old 01-22-2012, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SYMPTOMS OF THE SOL MUHAHA (head gasket and overheating problems)

ok let me tell the story. when i went to see the car it had been perfectly fine no problems at all i drove it n everything all coolant lines connected. told the guy i will give you the money right now just meet me at the bank to get it noterized and what not. 45 minutes later i meet him at the bank. bought the car. took it home fine. next day i take the car out for a spin and its fine. day after on my way to school i noticed the coolant smell and i was way overheated, pulled over look in the hood and the 2 coolant hoses behind the head were disconnected. the clamps were gone idk if the guy just had shitty clamps on there but now its too late. i reconnected the lines re did the HG and was fine for about 4 months before these symptoms started. it never overheated in those 4 months. i got a new aluminum radiator already.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

he swapped the motor to a z6 and it used to be turbocharged. only thing ghetto rigged was the vtec wiring. the oil pressure sensor switch is broken so i dont have vtec working.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so heres what im gonna do now. ill get a pressure test find the coolant leak and fix it. then ill flush the cooling system to get all the air out. then redo a pressure test to make sure no more coolant is being lost. then ill check my oil levels daily if the smoke doesnt go away. if they drop slowly then ill replace the piston rings. that should put an end to my problems. and ill also fix the vtec because i know it creates lag on the motor when its not engaging. i appreciate the help and ill keep this updated. before i spend hours searching for a good piston ring replacement thread anyone have a link to one? and yeah i got on the guy about it. hes my girlfriends neighbor and sold the sol to pay off another car he gave me the money for the first HG job after i happily annoyed him about it :-D so mish thats taken care haha
Old 01-22-2012, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL at least he's not being a dick about it
As for DIY's....check the FAQ section
There's bound to be something on it in there somewhere

Good luck!