Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

del sol k20.

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default del sol k20.

so.. i've searched around, and haven't found any specific delsol/k20 info posts. most of the chatter is about eg's and dc's.

so to make a long story short... im looking to swap a k20 into my del sol. i'll break down my questions, so it's easier to reply.

1: i looked on hasports site, and they dont have the del sol specific mounts. i assume that the EGK1 mounts will work, but it only says 92-95 civic and 94-01 integra.

2: shift assembly. i've heard a few things about this, but nothing rock-solid. what shifter assembly do i need to purchase? i've heard things about the accord parts, but im not sure. furthermore, will the shifter assembly fit under the stock console of the del sol? again, i've heard both sides, saying it interferes with the radio door and such.

3: misc swap parts. i know i will need fuel lines, axles, header, wiring harness and ecu. is there anything i am missing? can someone go into detail about these parts and whatever im missing?

4: im at a toss up on what motor to use. what is the best motor for the money. i mean sure, i could always dump $6000 on a rsx type r motor.. but who wants to do that.

Modified by jbell at 2:35 AM 12/2/2005
Old 12-01-2005, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: del sol k20. (jbell)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jbell &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so.. i've searched around, and haven't found any specific delsol/k20 info posts. most of the chatter is about eg's and dc's.

so to make a long story short... im looking to swap a k20 into my del sol. i'll break down my questions, so it's easier to reply.

1: i looked on hasports site, and they dont have the del sol specific mounts. i assume that the EGK1 mounts will work, but it only says 92-95 civic and 94-01 integra.

2: shift assembly. i've heard a few things about this, but nothing rock-solid. what shifter assembly do i need to purchase? i've heard things about the accord parts, but im not sure. furthermore, will the shifter assembly fit under the stock console of the del sol? again, i've heard both sides, saying it interferes with the radio door and such.

3: misc swap parts. i know i will need fuel lines, axles, header, wiring harness and ecu. is there anything i am missing? can someone go into detail about these parts and whatever im missing?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

1. K mounts for EG's are the same for del sol
Old 12-01-2005, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: del sol k20. (ADVAN EG2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ADVAN EG2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1. K mounts for EG's are the same for del sol</TD></TR></TABLE>

great. thanks.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:28 PM

Good Luck! Very Curious to see how this comes out, are you gonna do a EP3 shift?
Old 12-01-2005, 10:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: del sol k20. (Gordon_B16)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Gordon_B16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Good Luck! Very Curious to see how this comes out, are you gonna do a EP3 shift?</TD></TR></TABLE>

ep3 shift?
Old 12-01-2005, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

have you checked out k20a.org?
Old 12-01-2005, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: del sol k20. (ADVAN EG2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ADVAN EG2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">have you checked out k20a.org?</TD></TR></TABLE>

im browsing now. too much info to take in at one time. i'll be on there for the next few hours. dont stop posting here though! haha.

Old 12-01-2005, 10:41 PM
footwork mastery

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jbell &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

ep3 shift? </TD></TR></TABLE>

i think he means the shifter up on the dash. that is the ep3 that has this right?
Old 12-01-2005, 10:53 PM

Default Re: del sol k20. (PurpleEKHatch)

Sorry should have said 02-05 SI(EP3) shifter the one that comes out of the center of the dash
Old 12-01-2005, 11:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Gordon_B16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sorry should have said 02-05 SI(EP3) shifter the one that comes out of the center of the dash</TD></TR></TABLE>

uh. no, that wouldn't work in the sol.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:24 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jbell &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

uh. no, that wouldn't work in the sol. </TD></TR></TABLE>It could. You have alot more flexiblity with a cable tranny compared to having to use shift linkage. The pain would be to cut up the dash to mount your bulky shifter box and then make that flush looking with the dash. DO IT!!
Old 12-02-2005, 03:42 AM
Mr. Fuch-yu

Default Re: del sol k20. (litterbox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by litterbox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It could. You have alot more flexiblity with a cable tranny compared to having to use shift linkage. The pain would be to cut up the dash to mount your bulky shifter box and then make that flush looking with the dash. DO IT!! </TD></TR></TABLE> Seriously. Dude, you gotta do this. I have only seen one sole with a k20, and that was on eGay. But, I will be willing to bet that you will be the first with an ep3 shifter in a sol. It can fit, but like Andy(litterbox) said, their may be issues getting it to be flush mounted on the dash. Talk w/him more about it as he is the resident dash man . Keep us posted with any progress.

-Red
Old 12-02-2005, 05:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Gordon_B16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sorry should have said 02-05 SI(EP3) shifter the one that comes out of the center of the dash</TD></TR></TABLE>

this could easily be done if you want to relocate the radio. the rest of the swap except the shifter part is exactly like a 92-95 civic swap.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1155463

Try searching harder nitwit.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EG-B20vtec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, I finally got around to posting info on a swap my crew and I completed over the New Year's lag time. BTW, I work at Auto Obsessions in Panama City FL.

I know, no big deal! Been done by countless others...blah...blah

Big THANKS to TONY and WILSON over at http://www.JHPUSA.com for the K20 parts!
HaSport spent some serious time with me as well as trouble-shooting the mystery short axle! Thanks JOE!

The engineering behind this engine speaks volumes about the future of the K-series. KATMAN said it first "It's all about the K".

The swap was pretty straight-forward thanks to HaSport's various products. The customer basically gave us a couple of blank checks while he was out to sea (NAVY) and said do the best you can.

Here's the set-up:

• K20A2 USDM Type S Full Swap from Hmotorsonline
• Quaiffe LSD
• ACT Clutch Kit
• JDM Type R Final Drive
• Hondata Intake Manifold Gasket
• Type R Red Valve Cover
• EP3 Coil Pack Cover (Black, it shows off the Honda Insignia nicely)
• EP3 Idler Pulley Setup
• EP3 Throttle Cable and Bracket
• HaSport Conversion Harness
• HaSport Proto-type Header
• HaSport Temp Sending unit Thingy
• HaSport Axles
• AEROMOTIVE FPR (using stock fuel rail)
• Oh Yeah, TODA Engine Kit (CAMS, Valve-springs, Reflashed ECU)

I'll post more about this whole process and results later.
BTW the RSX Shifter fit under the DEL SOL Center Console nicely! Ideal for road racing.

I usually try to keep things looking as untouched/stock as possible.

AEM GSR Intake we had laying around the shop worked nicely

Toda Engine Kit!

Toda Engine Kit Installed

Let me just emphasize how well thought out this engine is.
Upon initial inspection the motor reminded me alot of Nissan's SR20...GASP! But, then things got interesting. I noticed so many similarities between the K and the S2000 F-Series that I am just going to go ahead and say they are the same family of engines. See for yourself. Now, who's going to be the first to put a K20/K24 into an S2000?

This a picture of the F(S2000) mated to an RSX-S Trans so just flip it so that the K20/K24 is mated to an S2000 rwd Trans.

People are going to ask why and what for. All I can say is for the i-VTEC and parts availabilty of course. It comes down to money and tunability.

Modified by EG-B20vtec at 2:40 PM 3/22/2005</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just incase you are to lazy to click a link, obviously you are to lazy to search. Took me a whole 5 seconds. There is a samba green del sol as well with a k20 and a desert metallic sol with one as well.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Also ignore all that f20c with a rsx tranny that is a bunch of garbage, its possible but its not worth it.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ZacCarter)

that doesn't really answer any of my questions. its interesting, but its really just a list of what someone is doing to their car...
Old 12-02-2005, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok you need a shifter box out of a 90-93 accord, there position seems to work the best, use the hasport mounts for an eg, the frame it self of the car is exactly the same as an eg. surf around on k20a.org. They will be more than happy to help you out.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

looks good
Old 12-02-2005, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (krishant)

Just purchase all the swap parts for an eg, also im in Nj so if i can help you out with tools or just extra hands let me know, id like to do a k20 swap hands on anyway, because it will soon be the motor to replace my b18c.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:30 PM

Search

look at the midori green hatch. right now i know of 5 del sols with k20s here in AZ. some dude on HT had posted a thread a while back.. dropping a k20 into a 96 hatch. It was a ver nice clean swap.

PM:: me for a k20a/2 swap with teg half shafts / 6spd tranny

BTW: you need to modify shift linkage/headers/and look at hasport motor mounts.
Fabrication for this drop is ne where form 1000-4000$ depending on how clean you want it.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:35 PM

Default Re: (ZacCarter)

I'm riding a 93 sol right now.. ill be putting a k20 in the sol after i do this jdm front end conversion with 2 HID kits at 18k per set.

what those headers cost??? any fab required to match up with my cat/test pipe??

does the header have factory type flanges?

How heavy is this setup?? will I have to beef up the front suspension??

Old 12-03-2005, 07:12 AM
Mr. Fuch-yu

Default Re: (Elwuudz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Elwuudz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">will I have to beef up the front suspension??</TD></TR></TABLE>I would bet that it is probably in your best interest to put some time in with the suspension. Not just the front. With the extra power you are going to notice your foot gets a little bit heavier and you are going to want your suspension to be able to handle the hell you will put it through.

-Red