Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Daily D16Z6 Turbo- Have I done my research correctly?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Daily D16Z6 Turbo- Have I done my research correctly?

Fixed oil leak today, she's gonna drive tomorrow. I don't even wanna say what I did to fix the leak... I'll be crucified.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:56 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Fake news
Old 07-18-2017, 05:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FakeVtecSticker
Fixed oil leak today, she's gonna drive tomorrow. I don't even wanna say what I did to fix the leak... I'll be crucified.
"What is jb weld and duct tape for $300, Alex?"

So now that its actually running, maybe you can actually check your ignition timing now...

Who wants to bet $5 that the proper base timing wont be reached, due to being a tooth off or not setting proper idle and diagnostic mode or looking at the wrong hash marks?

Last edited by CandyRedRC46; 07-18-2017 at 09:20 AM.
Old 07-18-2017, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CandyRedRC46

So now that its actually running, maybe you can actually check your ignition timing now...

Who want to bet $5 that the proper base timing wont be reached, due to being a tooth off or not setting proper idle and diagnostic mode or looking at the wrong hash marks?
Actually not as bad as you think, I had to use random brass fittings that were sitting around and a lot of Teflon tape. The one fitting was a T that needed to be plugged on one side, and then a right angle fitting on the end. Kinda looks like a lowercase f.

Also, in that second bit there, what are all those big words? "Ignition" "diagnostic" "wrong"???

All kidding aside, I'll see if AutoZone rents testers.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

or just buy it, use it and return it.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Car was on the road yesterday! First time I took it out the ******* wheel was loose. I thought it was my clutch or a tool rattling around the engine bay. The oil is leaking from the return line now (before it was the feed at the sandwich) and also leaking a little from the turbo. Carefully driving it for the next couple days, my welding buddy is putting a bung on the pan for me within the next couple days. I'm also gonna completely redo the oil lines on the turbo... Again. I've certainly learned from this experience that it's best to do your own work and not expect your shadetree friends to know what they're doing with everything. So, teflon tape on everything and a nice bung, everything oil wise should be square then. Other than that, the fire ring should come in today so I can actually hit boost (not too much!), and oil leakage should be squared away by the end of the week.
Old 07-19-2017, 06:45 AM
Fish Twig

Who wants to bet $5 that the proper base timing wont be reached, due to being a tooth off or not setting proper idle and diagnostic mode or looking at the wrong hash marks?
BUT TDC!!!
Old 07-19-2017, 12:44 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

this has turned into a fantastic "how NOT to" thread. i foresee a fs thread within a month, either due to blown motor, or OP having to continually repair this hackjob.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by eghatch9295
this has turned into a fantastic "how NOT to" thread. i foresee a fs thread within a month, either due to blown motor, or OP having to continually repair this hackjob.
It's so easy to talk **** when someone other than yourself is putting in work, isn't it? Few will congratulate success, but most are quick to criticize mistakes.

About being a bad example... You're right, and that's part of what people need to see, and that was my intent in posting in the first place. If all people see is "oh, turboing a Civic is sooo easy all you need to do is bolt stuff on!!!" then far bigger morons than I will try and fail to build boosted Hondas. There's already 1001 successful 400+WHP single cam build threads up, how about something new for a change? While the car has some flaws right now, it's running fine. Oil drips will be fixed within the next two days, and I'm certainly not romping on it at all. After I fix the oil situation, all the car needs is a tune (scheduled for 7.31 at Absolute Proformance) and it'll be cherry. Maybe you've built a 1000+HP hatch and you think you know it all now, but I don't really care. Your attitude is what matters. This build has been a learning experience for me, and even if I do blow it up, it was all worth it. The car isn't really hacked, it just isn't the wire tucked powder coated fully built engine bay that some snobs on here are used to seeing. Cry me a river. I'm sticking with this car, I've come so far and learned so much even in the last couple weeks, and it was all worth it. Every penny I've thrown away, every hour I've wasted, and every bit of energy I've expended on this car - all worth it in my eyes.

So yes, while this may be an example of what not to do during a turbo build, it's realistic for what a poor college kid can do when he has $2500 burning a hole in his pocket and enough ambition to get things done. I knew nothing about building an engine up before this. Literally nothing. I never even installed a cold air intake. I have parents who told me how stupid I was for doing this every day. I had no garage, and had to work on the car through the heat and rain. I had no tools but some socket wrenches and a couple jack stands. I had no extra money in the bank and no rich parents to bail me out. And so, so many other problems I had to face (that no one wants to hear about) while I was building this car that have nothing to do with building a car. But here we are, and I'm not sure if that's a testament to how easy these cars are to build or how hard it is to materialize bad ideas into good results. To be frank, I don't really care what you - or anyone else on this forum - thinks of me or my car. I know where I came from and what I've done, and I'm proud of it. So if you wanna keep talking ****, go ahead. But you're wasting your breath.

And as far as this Tony dude goes with the trolling, keep it up dude. I took a quick peek at your post history not too long ago and it all makes sense. You're a Trump supporter of the rabid, ignorant variety, which explains your Dementia-esk insults, you drive an old Civic which appears to either be not running or has ruined suspension, and you spend an ungodly amount of time posting to this forum. You mentioned you're older, so I guess you're just pissed that you're in your late 30's or 40's and still can only afford beat up shitboxes for transportation. Whatever the case may be, at the end of the day, I'm 20 years old with a whole life ahead of me, and while a may be a bit naive when it comes to cars, I'm getting a great education, I've started a great career, and I've got an amazing group of friends that make it all worth it. No matter if my Honda Civic blows up or not, that'll all still be here. Go ahead, pull the "I have a 800HP hatch and you have no idea what you're talking about" card. In 10 years, I'll still be thriving while you're still scraping by at the bottom. So whatever angst this pathetic little trolling stunt is relieving for you, I'm sure it's worth spending your time and energy here. By all means, keep it up.

For those of you who have been constructive, I sincerely appreciate you all and the knowledge you've shared, but I'm about done with this forum. It has become more of a burden than a resource. People have ruined the thread by making it about personal attacks on myself, it's not even about cars anymore at this point... I'm not posting much more, except maybe some updates and a video/pics of the finished product.

Again, it's not what you have or what you know, it's your attitude about it all. I came here eager to learn and ready to accept criticism, and what I wound up with is a couple of clowns who can't even type right and have nothing to offer. If all you decide that this post isn't worth continuing, then so be it. Deuces

-Nick
Old 07-19-2017, 02:57 PM
Fish Twig

Tough to tell if this really was a build thread. Most build threads show off their work, here it was "hey here's my ride" and that's all she said.

improperly done methods
improper knowledge of TDC vs BTDC. (Savedvimageofpostsonopointinediting)

you failed to realize how important timing, ignition or mechanical, is. Specially with turbo engines.

Last edited by tony_2018; 08-01-2017 at 07:46 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Getting mad and attacking someones political alignment, in a tech thread. You just lost kiddo.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

and I've got an amazing group of friends that make it all worth it
Did you show them this?

it's best to do your own work and not expect your shadetree friends to know what they're doing with everything

As someone who is basically trying to do what you just did, this thread has been quite valuable.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by d0nkey
Did you show them this?

As someone who is basically trying to do what you just did, this thread has been quite valuable.

I don't know whether or not you're being facetious, but my intent was to help fellow newbies with their builds. I made a lot of mistakes, a whole lot, but I learned a lot from it, and I don't regret starting this thing. The finish line is so close, with dyno tuning next Monday. The eBay oil feed line is defective, so I ordered another and the leak should be squared away by Wednesday. I also have an exhaust leak which will be sorted out today. I'm cutting up the bumper today as well. Hopefully, I will have pics and vids posted next week.

Updates: Oil pan bung welded on, drain line properly assembled, new gaskets. Feed line is coming in the mail.

I've learned four main things in doing this
  1. Never expect anything to work
  2. Never do major work on your daily driver and expect it to be an easy breezy process
  3. If you work on your car in your parents' garage for weeks on end they will hate you
  4. Don't ever post on Honda-Tech
Old 07-24-2017, 11:36 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

1. Don't ignore advice given to you by people who have been working on cars for as long as you've been alive.
2. Don't carry a know it all attitude into a public forum, when you don't in fact know it all.
3. Don't try to cut every possible corner and pinch every possible penny when a car is your daily driver. We all understand budget builds, either take more time to find better deals, or be patient until you can afford better materials than JB weld and eBay crap.
4. Please feel free to post on Honda-Tech, but do so with the understanding that we do not cater to snowflakes, know it alls asking for help, or general douchebaggery.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

1. Don't ignore advice given to you by people who have been working on cars for as long as you've been alive.
2. Don't carry a know it all attitude into a public forum, when you don't in fact know it all.
3. Don't try to cut every possible corner and pinch every possible penny when a car is your daily driver. We all understand budget builds, either take more time to find better deals, or be patient until you can afford better materials than JB weld and eBay crap.
4. Please feel free to post on Honda-Tech, but do so with the understanding that we do not cater to snowflakes, know it alls asking for help, or general douchebaggery.
Well said.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's my car RUNNING and making REAL POWER.

NO leaks, NO drama.

**** you guys.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:07 AM
Stancetard Hate Monger

remember that time any of us wanted you to fail? the crux of the issue was always your attitude towards accepting advice, etc. it's good to see you have it up and going, hopefully it holds up awhile.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

remember that time any of us wanted you to fail? the crux of the issue was always your attitude towards accepting advice, etc. it's good to see you have it up and going, hopefully it holds up awhile.
Might be fair to say that my attitude was less than cheery, but understand where I was. Never did any major work on my car, about to have my car towed to a scrapyard (yes, really), afraid I had made the biggest mistake of my life... and you guys were taunting me like bullies at a playground tossing a dorky kid's packed lunch to each other. Wasn't advice so much as you saying "come on, little retard! you can do it, just stop being such a retard!" even after I reviewed going over things that were suggested, some continued to mock me.

a poster on this thread emailed me separately and I feel that he has been super helpful, encouraging, and interesting to hear stories from. Versus this crowd that might be just a bit too abrasive for my tastes.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Congrats man, but I can't say that I feel bad for you one bit, after all your political bs. Hopefully after you put a proper exhaust on it, you can get a reliable 200whp. Don't forget to follow through and mount oil pressure and afr etc.... gauges to keep a close eye on everything.....
Old 10-03-2017, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Congrats man, but I can't say that I feel bad for you one bit, after all your political bs. Hopefully after you put a proper exhaust on it, you can get a reliable 200whp. Don't forget to follow through and mount oil pressure and afr etc.... gauges to keep a close eye on everything.....

Last update, a bit late but still. Car dyno'd 200WHP 160ft/lbs torque and runs great. I need a new clutch pretty bad, but I'm not beating the **** out of the one that's in it so it should hold up for a little. 11PSI and a cat delete helped a lot. The car burns more oil than I'd like, but I'm planning phase two of the build this summer if I don't trade the car off for something else. Looks like a guy with an E46 wants my car. This thing has held up to a bunch of my mistakes, and I'm gonna be in for a long build over the summer. Can't do this one in my garage, haha. Anyway, here's some final pics.

https://imgur.com/0ZL1FzJ
https://imgur.com/KhE6Cap

Rolled over 250K miles

https://imgur.com/Go9JCfX

Made a custom subwoofer enclosure with MDF and fiberglass.

https://imgur.com/YQA4q6x
Old 10-03-2017, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You got any pics of the 200whp dyno sheet?
Old 10-03-2017, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

For sure! when I get out of class, I'll snap a pic quick.
Old 10-04-2017, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

https://imgur.com/a/S1Zxf

Here's the dyno sheet
Old 10-05-2017, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice. looks like fun.