Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

D series shift linkage problem? Help.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 07:37 PM
Imperious: Mod of Valor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D series shift linkage problem? Help.

I purchased a D series shift linkage from a guy here on HT by the name of TurboEG6, I got the linkage and I was stoked because I'm planning to do an at/mt swap on my EJ1, I almost have all the parts.

The linkage came in 3 parts, the shifter itself, the top piece that connects to the chassi, and then the bottom peice that connects to bottom peice of the shifter and the tranny itself. When I tried to assemble it for kicks, the bottom peice WOULDN'T fit on the bottom of the shifter..

And then I compared it to the tranny bracket on my transmisson itself (the end of the linkage that connects too the tranny and allows it to shift gears and it doesn't look like it would bolt up directly..

My tranny is a JDM s20. I don't really know manual tranny parts too well, so I don't know what kind of linkage this is. The guy told me it was a D series linkage? Someone help!
Old 04-13-2005, 07:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: D series shift linkage problem? Help. (JDM-EJ1)

on the first pic it looks like its the wrong shifter mine is alot skinnier could just be me though. im pretty sure is the wrong shifter get a short shifter and see if it works. and in the second pic you need to remove the bitch pin to get that peice off the tranny looks like it was just cut to save time and the new one you got replaces that and reinstall the bitch pin. good luck
Old 04-13-2005, 07:53 PM

Default Re: D series shift linkage problem? Help. (e jay one)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by e jay one &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">on the first pic it looks like its the wrong shifter mine is alot skinnier could just be me though. im pretty sure is the wrong shifter get a short shifter and see if it works. and in the second pic you need to remove the bitch pin to get that peice off the tranny looks like it was just cut to save time and the new one you got replaces that and reinstall the bitch pin. good luck</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh yeah, the I got the tranny from a local importer.. The axels are still in the tranny, they were just welded off. Like this...

That's all the stuff I've got so far.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1st off your shifter is a dc or ek shifter NOT a civic one.. hence why it doesnt fit the shift linkage.. look how the shifter has a double bend in it... that means its not a civic..
Old 04-13-2005, 07:59 PM

Default Re: D series shift linkage problem? Help. (cxSHOE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cxSHOE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1st off your shifter is a dc or ek shifter NOT a civic one.. hence why it doesnt fit the shift linkage.. look how the shifter has a double bend in it... that means its not a civic.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Really? That's good to know. Like I said before, I'm not familiar with manual parts, I'm still learning. Thanks for letting me know!
Old 04-13-2005, 08:00 PM

Default Re: D series shift linkage problem? Help. (cxSHOE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cxSHOE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1st off your shifter is a dc or ek shifter NOT a civic one.. hence why it doesnt fit the shift linkage.. look how the shifter has a double bend in it... that means its not a civic.. </TD></TR></TABLE>
problem solved i thought it looked different. take everything off that is cut and replace get a short shifter or a civic one and your good to go how much did you pay for all that?
Old 04-13-2005, 08:06 PM

Hmm.. Let's see..

Tranny - JDM s20 w/ 1 year warranty $250
Manual Pedal Assembly - $30
Clutch Resovir - $15
Hydraulic lines - $10 (still need to replace a part one one, look at the pic below)
New OEM clutch/flywheel (lifetime warranty) - $170
Shift Linkage - $30
Slave Cylindar - $15
Clutch Master - $10

I bought a starter, but when I got the package it wasn't in there, so I'm still waiting to get that issue resolved..

With these peice of the hydraulic line, the host portion was cut off, is there anyway I can replace the peice from the metal line over? Or do I have to replace the ENTIRE peice?

Old 04-13-2005, 08:08 PM

you can buy just that rubber hose.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:10 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by e jay one &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you can buy just that rubber hose. </TD></TR></TABLE>

It looks like it would be hard to jam in that metal clamp (kinda looks like the one that's around the power steering hose).

Old 04-13-2005, 08:16 PM

on top of the black mount peice there is that silver looking thing its a clip that just slides out use some pliers on the lip thats bent up but first unbolt the flare nut on the hard line.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:18 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by e jay one &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">on top of the black mount peice there is that silver looking thing its a clip that just slides out use some pliers on the lip thats bent up but first unbolt the flare nut on the hard line.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Great. Thanks for all the help guys!!
Old 04-13-2005, 08:20 PM

no problem is that you in your avatar? jk you should buy a helms book youll love it its worth every penny.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:22 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by e jay one &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no problem is that you in your avatar? jk you should buy a helms book youll love it its worth every penny. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Na, just a random kid. I'm white , yeah. I have a Chiltons.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:28 PM

on the second picture you have to take off the bitch pin so that other piece can come off and the linkage you got goes on there.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:30 PM

Default Re: D series shift linkage problem? Help. (hatchi)

I see. Is anyone selling a short shifter for a Civic that I could get from them? I obviously need one.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

itdso mouch easy for you to just buy a complete tranny swap, dynotuned has d series swaps if thats what you have cable and hydro hydro tranny swap for 350 includs everything you need you dont have to put this big *** puuzzle to gehther
Old 04-13-2005, 08:42 PM
Mr. Indecisive

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-EJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I see. Is anyone selling a short shifter for a Civic that I could get from them? I obviously need one.</TD></TR></TABLE>

OEM...Try http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/home.htm u can get alot of oem stuff from there, i got a stock shifter from there... im not sure weather to use my stock or short shifter with my swap, sometimes i think the short shifter causes probs. i may just sell my oem shifter depending on that. Jus make sure u do the bushings n **** if u get n aftermarket shifter or it will feel like ****
Old 04-13-2005, 08:47 PM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

good luck on the sex change, if u need a cheap stater for your d series i got one. its also JDM YO!!!
Pm me
Old 04-14-2005, 04:10 AM

Default Re: D series shift linkage problem? Help. (Honda_project98)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Honda_project98 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">itdso mouch easy for you to just buy a complete tranny swap, dynotuned has d series swaps if thats what you have cable and hydro hydro tranny swap for 350 includs everything you need you dont have to put this big *** puuzzle to gehther
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I went on to that website. I don't mind buying all the parts individually, it's not that bad. I highly doubt you can get EVERYTHING for 350, it's probably crap if it's that cheap.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:10 AM
Mr. Indecisive

Honestly i think u should have gotten a better trans, if u plan on driving hard... the d series trans r weak so treat it good, dont power shift or burnout n **** like that... the main shaft bearing went in mine, thats y im gettin the swap
Old 04-14-2005, 06:16 AM

Default Re: D series shift linkage problem? Help. (CoupeVtec2k)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CoupeVtec2k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Honestly i think u should have gotten a better trans, if u plan on driving hard... the d series trans r weak so treat it good, dont power shift or burnout n **** like that... the main shaft bearing went in mine, thats y im gettin the swap </TD></TR></TABLE>

I've never driven any of my cars hard just for that reason. I don't want to mess 'em up!
Old 04-14-2005, 06:21 AM
I hate everything

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by e jay one &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no problem is that you in your avatar? jk you should buy a helms book youll love it its worth every penny. </TD></TR></TABLE>

******* halirious
Old 04-14-2005, 10:40 AM

The Shifter & the Shift Linkage are fine because I put a short-shifter on there which made the "Tabs" PUSH inward. The short shifter's BASE was smaller in WIDTH so when I bolted it down the tabs went INWARD. All you would need to do is pull the tabs outward and that shifter will fit PERFECTLY! It's the right part you didn't get screwed!
Old 04-14-2005, 11:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D series shift linkage problem? Help. (TurboEG6)

It's probably just an integra shifter, the bottom is a little wider on the integra's shifter... no prob though, just bend the fork things... or get a short shifter...
Old 04-14-2005, 11:23 AM

Default Re: D series shift linkage problem? Help. (EJ1 wilcox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1 wilcox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's probably just an integra shifter, the bottom is a little wider on the integra's shifter... no prob though, just bend the fork things... or get a short shifter...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I'm gonna buy a shifter tonight.