Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

CV drive axle install problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV drive axle install problem

Hi I am installing new CV drive axles in my 96' Civic SOHC, and I have the passengers side finished and completely installed without problems, but I am trying to install the axle into the tranny on the drivers side and it will not slide completely in. Just like on the other side it was very difficult to get it to pop in there, but after it popped in there is still about a 1/4" gap between the tranny and the end of the axle piece. I've tried pulling it back out and popping it back in, but there is still a gap. Really not sure what I can do about this...
Old 05-08-2008, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CV drive axle install problem (gcrash)

push it in as hard as you can.. use a rubber mallet and give it a couple hits.. if you cant pull it out by hand its probably in all the way.. or put the outer side into the hub and use the hub for something to grab onto and push the cv joint in..
Old 05-08-2008, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CV drive axle install problem (geebs)

Man I still can't get the inner joint to butt up against the tranny all the way, and I don't really know what else to do. I took it out, compared it to the old one, they are both the exact same dimensions. I also made sure the pin isn't sticking out too far, tried lightly tapping on it with a hammer to get it in there aside from that I don't know what else to do. It seems like I could make the problem worse if I go beating on parts that fit into my transmission...I even tried taking the new one out and installing the old one but it has the same problem. I'm stumped
Old 10-04-2009, 12:56 PM
New User

Default Re: CV drive axle install problem

I too am having trouble reseating the drive axles into the transmission housing. I should explain that I have had the transmission apart and replaced a ball bearing that was bad on the mainshaft end. The cv boots were bad or going so I rebuilt them and payed close attenntion to putting the parts back together as they came apart. The dimensions just don't add up. Each axle inboard joint is a different dimension(long side-2 5/8", short side 3 1/16"). When I examined the dimension I had available it is 2 3/8" on both sides. Total dimension thru the tranny housing is 6 5/8". Somewhere I lost the available clearance to reseat these axles. Anybody have ideas as to where I screwed up?