Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

axle install done. a couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default axle install done. a couple questions

i just finished my axle install and i want to know hoe much of a gap there should be inbetween the inner joint and the tranny case? this is for drivers side BTW. also, i got the axle as far as i could get it to go in the knuckle and torqued the axle nut to 140 lb/ft.. if the axle was not all the way in or sticking out a little on either inner or outer joints, would tightening the nut bring evrything together? like would the inner and outer joints be fully in place? i just dont want the darn thing falling out.

edit-i just read you should know cause it pops in and mine didnt pop. it went in easy until the splines on the axle were not visible and i used a hammer to beat on my caliper to get the inner joint in. at one point, i used a piece of wood and hit the axle end to try to get the rest of it into the tranny. also read you shouldnt hammer. will it be ok? it was hard as hell getting both ends in.

Modified by deviant1 at 9:58 PM 10/23/2003
Old 10-23-2003, 07:02 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: axle install done. a couple questions (deviant1)

you should feel the inner joint "bottom out"
stop when you are tapping it back into place. proper torque on the axle nut will have nothing to do with this. it needs to be seated all the way in till it stops to have the snap ring clip into place.maybe 1/8" i dont know never measured. trust me you will know if it is all the way in or not.
Old 10-23-2003, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: axle install done. a couple questions (boostedcivicsir)

put the front of the car on jackstands....
put into gear 5, rev the car up to 70-80mph. shut the car off, looked underneath if its pops out or any tranny fluid is spilling out or if there were any weird noises. if none of the above and it LOOKS right..then it should be okay
Old 10-23-2003, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: axle install done. a couple questions (pennies_hatchie)

also remember the spindle nut needs to be torqued to 134 ft lbs

if you need the helms manual look in my sig...

Old 10-23-2003, 09:04 PM

Default Re: axle install done. a couple questions (boostedcivicsir)

i just saw it go all the way in until it contacted the tranny case

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostedcivicsir &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you should feel the inner joint "bottom out"
stop when you are tapping it back into place. proper torque on the axle nut will have nothing to do with this. it needs to be seated all the way in till it stops to have the snap ring clip into place.maybe 1/8" i dont know never measured. trust me you will know if it is all the way in or not.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 10-23-2003, 09:10 PM

Default Re: axle install done. a couple questions (deviant1)

I usually don't feel or here mine "click". if it is flush against the transmission it's probably okay. Good idea to run the car in the air like mentioned above. Try to remember if the axle had a c-clip on the inner splined shaft. It needs that to click in. Also, tug on the inner CV joint housing, and if it dosen't pull out of the transmission, you're probably good to go.

peace,
zelif