Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

could it be the starter or ignition switch?? help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default could it be the starter or ignition switch?? help!

ok so i got this 95 honda civic, when im about to turn the car on sometimes the car dosent turn on the first try, when i turn the key the car dosent do anything it dosent crank or anything, and i try it again and they it turns perfect without any problems and the car runs perfect...is the starter begining to fail? or maybe the ignition switch??

let me see if i explained my self correctly...i turn the switch and the car sometimes dosent crank or anything at all, i try a second later and it turns perfect????

question, i see that the check engine light is on for about 2 seconds when i put the car in accesories then it turns off...should i wait till that light turns off so i can turn the car on??

thanks for the help
Old 06-15-2009, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: could it be the starter or ignition switch?? help!

It could be the starter or ignition switch, but I suggest that you first check the starter switch located at the top of the clutch pedal. It's a common problem.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you turn the key to ON(II) do your cluster lights light up or are they off? If they're off it's probably the ignition switch, if they light up then it could be the clutch safety switch like Ron suggested, otherwise it could be the starter solenoid (starter and starter solenoid are sold as one for 92-00 civics) or the wiring/connections.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civic_driver
When you turn the key to ON(II) do your cluster lights light up or are they off? If they're off it's probably the ignition switch, if they light up then it could be the clutch safety switch like Ron suggested, otherwise it could be the starter solenoid (starter and starter solenoid are sold as one for 92-00 civics) or the wiring/connections.
yea they are on, and after about a second they turn off, and the check engine light is on too and about 2 seconds after it goes off...i kinda feel that i have to put the clutch all the way in so the car starts...so how can i check that safety clutch switch??
Old 06-15-2009, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by aquito
..so how can i check that safety clutch switch??
Put the transmission in neutral. Unplug the 2P connector at the top of the clutch pedal and use a jumper wire to connect the 2 wires in the free connector. If the engine now starts without a problem, then adjust or replace the switch.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it would be easiest to just test the signal wire at the starter first. seeing as how you can hook up a voltmeter or test light to that in 5 seconds. if the solenoid is the culprit, then good, you've diagnosed your problem. because getting to that neutral safety switch can be a pain in the back of the dick, atleast it is on my car.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by D16SiHatch
it would be easiest to just test the signal wire at the starter first. seeing as how you can hook up a voltmeter or test light to that in 5 seconds. if the solenoid is the culprit, then good, you've diagnosed your problem. because getting to that neutral safety switch can be a pain in the back of the dick, atleast it is on my car.
I agree. If the switch is fine, then you should measure battery voltage at the BLK/WHT wire attached to the starter solenoid when the key is held in ON(III) and the clutch pedal is pushed down. This test of course requires help from a buddy.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok so today leaving from work the car didnt start at all.....it took about 20 minutes of trying and trying until it started....when i got home i shut it off and tryid to start it and it did start...but the same at before...i try to start it and no crank and the second time i do it it does start.....its the same thing every single time i try it...i try to start it and nothing and second time i turn the key broom it starts without any problem.. i tried to see where that security switch on the clutch is and dont really know where it is...
Old 06-15-2009, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 06-15-2009, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok i found it....tried to take it off and failed lol...ill get a friends help tomorrow...for right now its starting ok...first time it dosend do anything but second time it starts perfect...
Old 06-17-2009, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok fixed it...i tested the clutch switch and was ok and test the starter and switch and was ok...so i found a old *** alarm in the car...it said 1997 lol...so yea the alarm didnt work but the cables conected to the main box....so took the box off and put everything back togueter and now it runs perfect....thanks to everybody that helped...
Old 06-17-2009, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by aquito
ok fixed it...i tested the clutch switch and was ok and test the starter and switch and was ok...so i found a old *** alarm in the car...it said 1997 lol...so yea the alarm didnt work but the cables conected to the main box....so took the box off and put everything back togueter and now it runs perfect....thanks to everybody that helped...
not a prob man. glad to see you got everythin working the way its supposed to
Old 06-17-2009, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

park on a hill.....