Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Cooling Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 07:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling Problem

I am having a cooling problem but I think it is because my radiator fan is not working. I dont think it is turning on. What can I do to check this problem out. I have a B18b swap in but I am still using the civic radiator. Also if anyone has any pics how every thing should be hooked up will help out a lot. Thanks for any help.
Old 06-12-2004, 07:59 AM

Default Re: Cooling Problem (jdmeg18)

Bump to the top really need some help
Old 06-12-2004, 08:12 AM

check your coolant level as well im getting my car back from the shop today and my fan wasnt turning on and the coolant was i guess boiling out of the over flow valve. after i realized my car was over heating (temp gauge went straight up) i check the coolant resiviour and it was empty. dont know if that will help but thats what happened to me and it sounds similar. and i got a b18c1 in my civic.
Old 06-12-2004, 10:08 AM

Default Re: Cooling Problem (screech)

It might be your thermoswitch. I had the same problem when i swapped a b16 into my 95 civic ex. The thermoswitch is in the thermostat housing (well it was on the b16) It should be the only plug on ur thermostat housing. To test if it is ur thermoswitch, unplug the thermoswitch and "jump" it. To jump it take a small (about 2 inch) peice of old speaker wire, or any kind of wire, and plug it into the switch. Put one end of the wire into the one spot in the plug and the other end into the other spot in the plug. Its really easy to do. Then start ur car, if ur fan comes on, which is should do as soon as u start ur car, then its ur thermoswitch.
If its not ur thermoswitch then try hooking ur fan up directly to your battery with some wires. Same idea as before. Put some wires into the fan's plug and put one on the positive terminal and one on the negative terminal of your battery. Hope this helps, and good luck.
Old 06-13-2004, 04:04 AM

Default Re: Cooling Problem (zman)

Thnaks for the info I tried doing that fan switch but i dont know if i did it right or not. The fan is suppose to come on after you turn the motor on after a few seconds right. And what wires could you use to hook the fan motor to the battery
Old 06-13-2004, 06:44 AM

Maybe there is air bubbles in your coolant system... happened to my friend once... he changed coolant and when he was all done, the last thing to do was get the air out of the system which is very easy to do using the valve on the end of the upper water hose (which goes from the engine back to the radiator - left side near the dizzy when looking from the front of the car)... he forgot to do it and his car was constantly overheating... when he finally did it, everything was fine...

I don't know if your engine has it but D15Z6 does!!!
Old 06-13-2004, 06:59 AM

I had the same problem and just desided to stay with a manual fan (put a switch in so i control it)

it jump the fan, what you want to do is get 2 female spade connectors (so the wires will stay in the fan harness) cut 2 pieces of wire roughly 4 feet each attach the connectors. now look directly behind your coolant resivour (sp) there should be a harness there with 2 wires comming out of it. if you follow the harness down, you`ll see it goes directly to your fan motor. disconnect that harness. now the harness you just un plugged will expose to male spade connectors. (2 slots sticking up on the plug from the fan). how what you want to do is hook up both wires you made earlier to this plug. to test, simply ground one wire to chassis/battery and the other wire to the positive terminal. as soon as you touch the two (pending you have a good ground) the fan should come on instantly.
if not, it looks like you`ll need a new fan motor.

Heres a little picture of the stock location in an EM1 (i dont believe it ever changed)

hope this helps a little!
Old 06-13-2004, 07:34 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdmeg18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thnaks for the info I tried doing that fan switch but i dont know if i did it right or not. The fan is suppose to come on after you turn the motor on after a few seconds right. And what wires could you use to hook the fan motor to the battery</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, the fan shouldn't come on until the car has been running for 5-10 minutes. The stock thermostat switches around 190 degrees I believe. If the fan doesnt go on at all, you either need to replace your thermostat, or you coolant thermo switch, which as somebody already mentioned is located on your thermostat housing.
Old 06-13-2004, 10:37 AM

Default Re: Cooling Problem (x743x)

if u jump the thermoswitch the fan should come on when the key is turned to the on position, it overrides the temperature and sends power to it directly, i had this exact same prob last week of my fan not turnin on, i jumped it and the fan came on, it turned out to be the thermostat itself
Old 06-13-2004, 11:38 AM

Default Re: Cooling Problem (wsiracerz)

thanks for all the help. Ill try to see if i can fix this.
Old 06-13-2004, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Cooling Problem (x743x)

honestly i didnt read all the replies, but all i gotta say is that a dual core radiator would benefit you greatly, del sol one for example

but if ur set on ur one already on there, check the thermo, its usually the problem for this kind of stuff
Old 06-13-2004, 12:32 PM

Default Re: Cooling Problem (itr_eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by itr_eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">honestly i didnt read all the replies, but all i gotta say is that a dual core radiator would benefit you greatly, del sol one for example

but if ur set on ur one already on there, check the thermo, its usually the problem for this kind of stuff</TD></TR></TABLE>

eh, my stock eg one with a cooler thermostat has held up fine for 20,000 miles or so of hard driving with a b-series.

I'm going to upgrade to a higher capacity one for track use eventually, but I don't need it now.