Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

coolant flush question

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant flush question

in my autos class at school we have this machine you fill w/ new coolant. hook one hose up to the block and 1 hose up to the to top of the ratiador. One hose goes to a bucket and the other one hooks up to the machine. You turn on your car and start the machine. i guess it affectivly circulates the new coolant into the engine while letting hte old stuff drain into a bucket.

my question is this..

does this actually get all the dirt and crap out? or does it just replace the fluid? Want to know because there is some dirt and crap at the bottom of my coolant resivuar and the coolant itself is kinda a dark green.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:37 AM

Default Re: coolant flush question (Cypher0117)

A refill / flush will not clean the reservoir. Pull it out and clean it with a bottle brush ? I would drain the system , fill with water and drain again before filling rather than just replacing coolant with coolant .
What does your shop teacher have to say ?
Old 09-27-2005, 11:48 AM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: coolant flush question (alotawatts)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alotawatts &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A refill / flush will not clean the reservoir. Pull it out and clean it with a bottle brush ? I would drain the system , fill with water and drain again before filling rather than just replacing coolant with coolant .
What does your shop teacher have to say ?</TD></TR></TABLE> yeah you should just be able to pull up on the resavoir and it should come right out. A flush is the best thing to do, one its cheaper because you can do it yourself. Two, it doesnt matter how long you let the water run so you can really clean out the system.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:55 AM

Default Re: coolant flush question (turner7205)

so basically unbolt the drain plug on the bottom of the ratiator after taking the cap off, then let the whole system drain, clean out the resivuar, fill with water. (this part im unsure of) run car w/ the water in the cooling system for about 5 or so minutes? then empty and fill up w/ coolant?
Old 09-27-2005, 12:14 PM

Default Re: coolant flush question (Cypher0117)

this is what i do and it really made a difference in how smooth my engine ran. well at least i think it did.

you'll need a jug of coolant and two gallons of distilled water. mix them up into two seperate gallon jugs, you'll only use about 1 here. you'll have the other one for later.

let the car cool off good. turn your heater controls all the way up. remove the white plastic overflow tank and rinse it out. remove the radiator cap, and remove the drain plug at the bottom of the radiator. when it's done draining. remove the lower radiator hose to get any left over stuff out. put that hose and the drain plug back on.

remove the thermostat housing. it's kind of a pain in the *** to get to, it helps a lot to remove the intake, it's right on the passenger side of the head. to do it, remove the upper radiator hose from it, pull the harness plug off, and there's two 10mm bolt's holding it on. one you can get to with like a 3" extension, one without an extension. there's a 10mm bolt holding the ground wire on, make sure you don't waste time removing this. pull the housing off, and remove the theromostat. put the housing back on w/o the thermostat (you can leave it unplugged, but put the hose back).

now pull the upper radiator hose off the radiator, stick a garden hose in the rad and flush it out for a good few minutes until it runs completely clean out of the disconnected hose.

now drain the radiator again just like before, put the hose back on, and reinstall the thermostat with that little jiggle pin facing up. fill the radiator up to the neck with the 50 / 50, and fill the overflow tank up to the min mark. let the car run for about 15 minutes or so with the cap off, let it cool down again, and top off the rad as needed. squeeze the upper hose to get rid of any air bubbles, put the cap back on, let it run till it warms up and check for leaks.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:27 PM

Default Re: coolant flush question (The Internet Tough Guy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The Internet Tough Guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this is what i do and it really made a difference in how smooth my engine ran. well at least i think it did.

you'll need a jug of coolant and two gallons of distilled water. mix them up into two seperate gallon jugs, you'll only use about 1 here. you'll have the other one for later.

let the car cool off good. turn your heater controls all the way up. remove the white plastic overflow tank and rinse it out. remove the radiator cap, and remove the drain plug at the bottom of the radiator. when it's done draining. remove the lower radiator hose to get any left over stuff out. put that hose and the drain plug back on.

remove the thermostat housing. it's kind of a pain in the *** to get to, it helps a lot to remove the intake, it's right on the passenger side of the head. to do it, remove the upper radiator hose from it, pull the harness plug off, and there's two 10mm bolt's holding it on. one you can get to with like a 3" extension, one without an extension. there's a 10mm bolt holding the ground wire on, make sure you don't waste time removing this. pull the housing off, and remove the theromostat. put the housing back on w/o the thermostat (you can leave it unplugged, but put the hose back).

now pull the upper radiator hose off the radiator, stick a garden hose in the rad and flush it out for a good few minutes until it runs completely clean out of the disconnected hose.

now drain the radiator again just like before, put the hose back on, and reinstall the thermostat with that little jiggle pin facing up. fill the radiator up to the neck with the 50 / 50, and fill the overflow tank up to the min mark. let the car run for about 15 minutes or so with the cap off, let it cool down again, and top off the rad as needed. squeeze the upper hose to get rid of any air bubbles, put the cap back on, let it run till it warms up and check for leaks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

it sounds kinda easy the only questionable thing is the thermostate part...im pretty sure i know where your talking about but i've just never done anything w/ a cooling system b4 on any vehicle and i don't know what the thermostate looks like. is it completely consealed int he houseing your tlaking about? pics would be niec if anyone has em

Modified by Cypher0117 at 1:40 PM 9/27/2005

Modified by Cypher0117 at 1:43 PM 9/27/2005
Old 09-29-2005, 09:23 AM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Follow the upper radiator hose to the block. That little housing is where the thermostat sits. Like he said remove the bolts and there it is. Before you take it out notice how it sits in there. His way will work but I like to flush out the block to.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:56 AM

Default Re: (turner7205)

i just did 1 like 2 days ago...........i flush itthe anti freez out ,fll it with water,,,,run the car up the block.....let the water boil and then drain......and just stick the hose into the radiator.......stick the hose onto the radiator hole that goes into motor and just drain it then i take the hose and blow into it .....(no homo) and it pushes out everything outa the motor ...do that like 2-3 times and then your ready for some fresh antifreez coolant
Old 09-29-2005, 10:15 AM

Default Re: (streetsweaper)

Sounds like I'll be doing this in a week or two. I've had a new thermostat for over a year, but I haven't had any problems so I haven't replaced it.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:24 AM

Default Re: (nota-eg)

By the way, the machines they use to do the coolant flush really forces the coolant thru at a high pressure. I had just replaced my heater hoses and tightened the clamps real good, but when they started flushing, fluid started leaking from where the new hoses met the heater pipes. Thankfully, the leaks stopped and didn't happen again during normal driving. I guess the point is that you might want to just go ahead and use a garden hose since it's a lot lower pressure but still does a good job of flushing (I did it this way afterwards)
Old 09-29-2005, 11:35 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turner7205 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Follow the upper radiator hose to the block. That little housing is where the thermostat sits. Like he said remove the bolts and there it is. Before you take it out notice how it sits in there. His way will work but I like to flush out the block to.</TD></TR></TABLE>

it does flush out the block ....
Old 09-29-2005, 01:59 PM

Default Re: (The Internet Tough Guy)

ok so i just got back from the honda dealer and got 2 gallons of their "new" 50/50 coolant mix. I don't think its new new but its the type 2 stuff. Will this be enought coolant to do a full flush? i've been reading other posts and i've come up w/ 4qts of coolant necessary??? that seems too little. Will i be ok with the two gallons? Also will i need to bleed the system w/ the process i described in me 1st post on this thread?
Old 09-29-2005, 02:35 PM

Default Re: (Cypher0117)

You'll be fine with that amount. If you do come up a little short you can add more water.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:04 PM

Default Re: (nota-eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nota-eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You'll be fine with that amount. If you do come up a little short you can add more water.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks

but does anyone know if i will have to bleed the system?
Old 09-29-2005, 05:20 PM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

Usually anytime you flush the system you will need to bleed the system.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:48 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turner7205 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Usually anytime you flush the system you will need to bleed the system.</TD></TR></TABLE>

does anyone have a pic of the bleader valve or do i just run the engine w/ the radiator cap off for about 5-10minutes and squeeze the line going to the top of the radiator?
Old 09-29-2005, 06:01 PM

the bleeder valve depends on the year of your motor, OBD1 and back have that, sux that OBD2 motors don't. the bleeder is right by where the upper hose connects to the motor. you can leave the cap and run the car and you'll see it bubble...jus when it looks low, ad a lil more, squeeze the hose and you should be good to go.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:12 PM

Default Re: (JohnX6)

yeah...my motor is a 94 dx sohc motor.....so after flushing the system then i just open that up till it stops bubbling out? and add coolant to the resivuar?

the bleeder valve is what i have circled right?
Old 09-29-2005, 07:46 PM
.Ry
Honda-Tech Member

This guy knows what hes doing

http://www.jdmlyfestyle.com/ho...t.htm