Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

coolant/engine leak help..

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant/engine leak help..

yeah I just looked into my engine bay today and found out that it's starting or is leaking coolent in the back of the engine...is there a way to fix this problem? Is it bad or not that bad? need help in fixing it if it's a easy DIY otherwise how much will this cost me to have it fix/look at and etc. at dealer which i hate. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where exactly is it coming from?

a few pics could help a lot

replacing the radiator itself is pretty easy... just time consuming.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well, depends on where its leaking from, which side, see a hose leaking or anything, got a pic??? something besides just back of engine.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well it'll be a little hard for a picture but basically it's coming from the back of the engine almost by where the bottom radiator hose hooks up to the engine...I check/felt it with my figure and it didn't seem like it's coming/leaking from the hose there so thought might be between the two block the egine/trany? and if I didn't mention it yet it's a 95 coupe , d16z6...hopefully that helps....
Old 05-22-2006, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDMegCoupe)

Jack it up and let it idle and get hot. Where is it leaking from?

Start with the cheap parts first.

Be really careful when you remove the hose though as you could break the radiator plastic really easy.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (scuzz)

if I did that the coolant will splash all over and freaken burn the heck out of me this I know...cuz that's another thing as well because of the coolant leak and being that it's an re-built radiator I think the rebuilt is what sucks which makes engine run a bit hotter than normal, not just your normal hot but when you pop up the hood it's like bamn all that hot air comes to your face and you can tell it's a bit hotter than it should be so yeah..

but trying to see if I can fix the coolant leak from the back of the engine first...BUT I did plan a while ago to buy another radiator from autozone or something...cuz my last 93 coupe I bought one which was made for the del sol si and put it in man that thing cools it quick...so I plan to ditch the re-built if engine gets hotter still after the leak is fix or what not so yeah....but any ideas on how to fix it up? Like I said it's coming from the back of the engine from the bottom hose of the raditor and I felt the hose and around it and no didn't seem like hose is leaking so must be from somewhere else I would say.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like you are leaking from the therostat housing. just pinpoint where the leak is and then drain out all your coolant and then replace the little o ring between the housing and the therostat housing
Old 05-23-2006, 02:50 PM

ok sorry havent really had time to really read all the posts.. all i got was that coolant is coming from the back (intake manifold side) of your block. if this is true, check the hoses. If the hoses are all on snuggly and have the proper clamps on and are still leaking just replace the hose. If it is not coming from the hose or the nipple (no laughing) where the hose goes on to it might be a manifold gasket leak.
If it seems like the leaking is clearly coming from the passenger side of the block on the back (intake manifold side) then it is most likely due to the manifold not being on properly or the gasket causing problems. Try tightening all the nuts on the manifold (where it connects to the cylinder head). If it still seems like its leaking you might need to remove the (IM) and replace the gasket. However you should make sure to buy a replacement IM gasket before removing the IM as the stock ones are NOT reusuable. If you do take it off and need to replace the gasket. make sure you get ALL of the gasket (paperish cardboard) off the manifold and the head ports. Leaving the paper on there will cause future leaks and more $$ could also cause vaccum leaks .. also ..

p.s.
ur exhaust spitting a lot of white smoke ?? if so means ur burning coolant which could also be a symptom of a bad intake manifold gasket..

good luck
Old 05-24-2006, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (w0ng_sta)

"p.s. ur exhaust spitting a lot of white smoke ?? if so means ur burning coolant which could also be a symptom of a bad intake manifold gasket.."

I've read what you wrote still noob wouldn't really know where to start but can try on bolt/minor and anything major will have it check/fix by someone who knows what they're doing...but the last thing you said about the smoke...I'm actually-I guess you can say "spitiing white smoke" not alot I guess...but like if it's maybe 58 to low 60 degree outside I believe when it's not that cold the other day I notice the white smoke...so I think you're right on this one ...so basically it's what you said then right? SO, then does that mean checking the hose in back of block for leakage and intake (oh ****) manifold eh? Not headers...How hard does it make it to fix it now that I said I'm spitting the smoke? well holla back so I can know which first and etc. But em yeah think you're right on it yo...thanks....well holla back so I know where to start if indeed bad manifold....

p.s. still basically stock, clean as hell, saving for future swap want to keep engine as long a possible not looking for early swap gotta save her!!!
Old 05-24-2006, 05:33 PM

good god, hard to understand what u wrote lol.. when u answer this one use more punctuation.. i talk like you do in real life but here its a lot harder .. ight well first.. yes your intake manifold.. follow the intake tube up to the throttlebody (where the cable spins the throttleplate butterflythingy), this is attached directly to the intake manifold plenum. the runners run down to the cylinder head where it connects to the engine. if you look at the runner all the way on the passenger side there should be 1 or 2 main hoses that look like they go right into the engine next to the runner. now carefullly dry off that area and clean it as much as possible.. this will allow you to easily identify where the coolant leak is. once ur all cleaned up and dried off, turn on ur car and see if you can see where it's leaking from. if it looks like its from the hoses.. no biggy just check the condition of the hoses.. no good? then replace.. if they are good just make sure they're on tight.

if its not the hoses, the leak will most likely be coming from what looks like in between the intake manifold and the cylinder head.. (you may not beable to see it) if you cant see it but it looks like thats where its coming from that means ur mostlikely havin a gasket problem.. its not particularly hard to do, but if you have never done it and you dont have a decent amount of time and effort you can spend on the car then have someone else do it.

if you decide to do it, a few words of advice
1) LABEL your hoses.. even if you dont know the name of the spots they came from.. make it up.. but make sure u dont confuse them.. itll be a pain to try and figure it out on ur own..
2) NEW GASKET!!! if you have a non hondata gasket.. you will most likely need to get a new gasket. The hondata gasket is reusable .. unless u really expletive it up.. (its plastic... and fairly thick.. you should know if you have one or not)
3)please dont do this if you just drove the car... the hot coolant isnt fun
4)magnetic pickup.. you will mostlikely be dropping nuts like crazy .. no homo..
5)make sure you follow mechanic rules 101.. tighten from the inside out.. in a crisscrossing pattern. you never want to tighten frmo the outermost nut first!!!

i cant think of anything else..
later
Old 05-26-2006, 03:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (w0ng_sta)

Well, hello there again w0ng_sta. Well I read what you've written and it sound pretty good, like you know what you're doing, which is a good thing. I will have to see what I can and can't do, as far as fixing it by myself. Also, not that I don't have the time and effort but more of a I don't want to mess(expletive) anything up, just that I rather have a tech look into fixing it instead. Otherwise I would greatly do the fixing myself, but because it's my only car I rather not. Well the informations you shared is greatly apperciated and I thank you for it. Thank you and have a nice day w0ng_sta.

Nawh just kiddin'... yeah thanks for the info. I'll see what I can do..sorry about the way I talk, what can I say it's where I grew up you know..nawh j/k just me aiightz thanks man.....Have a nice day. Take care now and good luck with your car.