Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Compressing springs...DIY??

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compressing springs...DIY??

I just received my new suspension (ground controls and kyb agx's) and I plan on doing the swap this weekend, but I am a little hesitant of taking apart the stock springs/struts. I have been reading all the archives on this and there are lots of bad things that can go wrong. I was thinking of renting a spring compressor, but heard they are a pain and can also be dangerous. I have called around and the cheapest place I found to do it for me was $15 per strut. That seems a little excessive to me. What should I do? Try the rented compressor or just ante up and have it done for me? And don't say just lay the assembly on the ground and let it shoot off because I'm not even attempting that. I need advice. TIA.
Old 04-19-2004, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Compressing springs...DIY?? (96hb)

i would just rent one
Old 04-19-2004, 11:44 AM

Default Re: Compressing springs...DIY?? (96hb)

Just get the spring compressor, be careful and take your time. I bought a set when I did my suspension, they were like 20-30 bux. They're real handy to have around.
Old 04-19-2004, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Compressing springs...DIY?? (benSC)

I've read that some dont work with Honda springs. And that you can still get hurt using one. I just don't want to get killed trying to upgrade my car, but I also don't want to pay that much to have them taken apart for me. Is there a certain compressor to get?
Old 04-19-2004, 11:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Compressing springs...DIY?? (benSC)

Yeah, you can rent them from most parts stores. Or you can buy one, and charge for installs of springs and make your money back Eithr way, be safe and do it correctly by using a spring compressor
Old 04-19-2004, 11:54 AM

Default Re: Compressing springs...DIY?? (Two_K Si)

If you are not being a moron you are not going to hurt yourself compressing them.
When I did the suspesion on my Bimmer I made my own spring compressors. Went to the hardware store and bought the screws and fabricated the part that grabs the spring with a welder and some steel I had laying around. Worked great.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Compressing springs...DIY?? (JDM-97CX)

Do you even need to get a spring compressor? Why dont you just take the shock off with the spring on. Thats what i did, only problem was that I broke the LCA bolt.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:44 PM

Default Re: Compressing springs...DIY?? (Cyberdx16)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cyberdx16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do you even need to get a spring compressor? Why dont you just take the shock off with the spring on. Thats what i did, only problem was that I broke the LCA bolt.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Because chances are that his new suspension isn't allready assembled.

And of course you take the shock out with the spring attached. You cannot take the spring off without first taking the shock off.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Compressing springs...DIY?? (Cyberdx16)

Ground Controls are adjustable arent they? Or did you get non adjustable ones?

Also i see ABSOLUTELY no reason you need to take off your stock springs from your struts if you got a spring/strut set up. I mean correct me if im wrong.

Either way just pull the whole shock/strut together and put the new ones in and call it a day.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:47 PM

Default Re: Compressing springs...DIY?? (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ground Controls are adjustable arent they? Or did you get non adjustable ones?

Also i see ABSOLUTELY no reason you need to take off your stock springs from your struts if you got a spring/strut set up. I mean correct me if im wrong.

Either way just pull the whole shock/strut together and put the new ones in and call it a day. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Unless he purchased new top hats or pillow ball mounts he will have to remove the old spring to use the top hat.

And you can't just put the shock and spring together, the spring must be compressed in order to get the top hat/pillow ball mount on.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Compressing springs...DIY?? (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ground Controls are adjustable arent they? Or did you get non adjustable ones?

Either way just pull the whole shock/strut together and put the new ones in and call it a day. </TD></TR></TABLE>

unless he needs the TOP HAT lol.

that would suck to have to d all that just to get the top hat.

just step on the spring and let it fire off into the night. thats hwt i did this past weekend lowering some guys accord lol wasnt as bad as you think.

its just when you loosin the top nut with the 14m and teh allen key and the closer you get to getting the nut off the anticipation is what scares you, oh yea that and the hole in the wall you will get if you dont let it shoot off into the yard lol
Old 04-19-2004, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Compressing springs...DIY?? (NextelBuddy)

I've done several cars without a spring compressor. If your stupid enough to unscrew the bolt on top and put your face right in front of it I don't know what to tell you. There are so many suspension changing write ups on the net anyone should be able to do it.
Old 04-19-2004, 01:04 PM

when i lowered my car i placed one end of the shock to the wall and other against a tire and they popped off, i dont think you would need a spring compressor
Old 04-19-2004, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (t0ekn3e)

I pointed mine into a plastic trash can. It worked fine.
Old 04-19-2004, 01:16 PM

Default Re: (Cyberdx16)

Wow, this turned into the "I want to break ****" bandwagon.
Old 04-19-2004, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just put mine in a box and let the spring shoot itself.. I messed with compressors, but just took too much time.
As far as installation goes, just get someone to stand on the hat while you start geting the bolt threaded. Just my .02, you never HAVE to do it the right way
Old 04-19-2004, 01:20 PM

honestly if your afraid then I wouldn't do it, at least not alone, maybe have someone there that has done it before to walk you through it... or just pay to get it done...

Old 04-19-2004, 01:22 PM

Default Re: (jolt-tsp)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jolt-tsp &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just put mine in a box and let the spring shoot itself.. I messed with compressors, but just took too much time.
As far as installation goes, just get someone to stand on the hat while you start geting the bolt threaded. Just my .02, you never HAVE to do it the right way </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes but doing it the right way can save you from getting hurt or possibly damaging your brand new suspension.
Old 04-19-2004, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i like the trash can idea.. nothing goes stray and it would be easy to do.
when i lowerd my car, to take the assembly apart, i just put a welcome mat over it, kinda wrapped up. the anticipation was high then it was over in a sec. everything was laying there in the mat.
but if you think you need a compressor to put it all together, just have a buddy press down on the top hat till you can get the nut on top. then just tighten her down. make sure everything is lined up and there you go :D
Old 04-19-2004, 01:30 PM

Default Re: (RabbittZ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RabbittZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just have a buddy press down on the top hat till you can get the nut on top. then just tighten her down. make sure everything is lined up and there you go :D</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just a warning, if you use this method there is a much higher chance of cross threading the nut.
Old 04-19-2004, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah that i true.never thought about it though when doing this.
but we've always just been careful while doing it. spin it one way till you know you ahve the threads linedup and then spin it the right way.
Old 04-19-2004, 01:41 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RabbittZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">never thought about it though when doing this. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's what I'm here for.
Old 04-19-2004, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha. and thanked for it. it i ever cross thread one, ill give myself a "i told you so" in thought of you 97cx .
Old 04-19-2004, 02:10 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RabbittZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">haha. and thanked for it. it i ever cross thread one, ill give myself a "i told you so" in thought of you 97cx . </TD></TR></TABLE>

Always a pleasure. LOL