Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Clutch Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Problems

Hello,

In about 45 minutes today, my clutch went from no sign of problems to dead. It started with the car having troubles going into gear. In about 45 minutes it went from a little troubles getting into gear to impossible to get into and out of gear, as if the clutch wasn't disengaging all the way. Also, the engaging point of the clutch moved from about halfway to 2/3rds of the way up to engaging less than 1/4" off the floor. Also, early on, when the car was in gear and I had the clutch in, it would bog the engine idle a bit. Now, if I force it into gear with the clutch in, it starts moving like the clutch is partially engaged.

I bled the hydaurlic system twice and was losing no fluid at all, no leaks anywhere. Then I took off the slave cylinder to inspect it and it seems fine. However, with no slave cylinder I realized that the fork doesn't return and when I move the fork all the way to the left by hand, which should disenage the clutch, I still have the same problem where it will not go into gear because the clutch isn't disengaged all the way. So to me that says that it isn't in the hydraulic system.

But, there were no signs of the clutch going out, no slipping, no mushy feel, no weird stuff at all. Plus, like I said, it went from a barely noticeably nuissance to not even being able to drive the car in less than 45 minutes. So what do you think, bad clutch, bad pressure plate, bad bearing? Or, should I go back to playing with the hydraulic system?

Thank you.

Modified by Hemix at 12:38 PM 6/27/2008
Old 06-26-2008, 10:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch Problems (Hemix)

Bump
Old 06-26-2008, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

First, adjust the clutch freeplay. Second, try a different slave cylinder.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch Problems (GSaura)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">First, adjust the clutch freeplay. Second, try a different slave cylinder. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't understand how this is going to help when the fork does not return and the clutch does not disengage when I move the fork to the far left manually. I have the same problem completely bypassing the slave cylinder.

Modified by Hemix at 12:39 PM 6/27/2008
Old 06-27-2008, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump for the morning crew.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:23 AM

Get a new slave cylinder and bleed it of course, then adjust the freeplay...I have had this problem quite a few times...For some reason slave cylinders on Honda's don't last too long......Becareful when making adjustments, if you are not set properly then you will have pretty much the same problem or the next time you could be replacing a clutch instead of a slave cylinder.........
Old 06-27-2008, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you the fork doesn't return back to position then 1) it may be bent, 2) it may need some lube, 3) your throwout bearing may have partially come off the fork, 4) the splines of the pressure plate are damaged, or any combination thereof.

If you're sure the hydraulic system is fine, which I thought mine was before, then take a look at your pedal. Not just adjusting it, but the plate that mounts to the firewall may not be anchored properly. Mine, no matter how much it was tightened, still flexed off the firewall so pushing the pedal didn't actuate the master cylinder very much. Just an idea...
Old 06-27-2008, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch Problems (Blk00EJ8)

I don't mind buying a new slave cylinder, I just don't see how that is going to fix the problem. All the hydraulic system does is push on the fork. So if I can move the fork all the way to the left, thus doing exactly what a working hydraulic system does, and I have the same problem, how does that mean the hydraulic system is messed up? Its not like a new slave cylinder is going to push the fork anymore to the left, unless it pushes the fork through the metal bell housing.

Modified by Hemix at 12:38 PM 6/27/2008
Old 06-27-2008, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It doesn't, move on with something else. Everyone just jumps on the usual "bleed your hydraulic system" solution. Pickle fork, lol. A pickle fork, fyi, is either something used to separate ball joints or an actual fork for stabbing pickles.

If the fork isn't returning back to position, then you have to look at what would be causing that mechanically. It's spring loaded due to the pressure plate. I'm not sure how you're moving it by hand either... that's kind of tough and require a good deal of force to actually move it a noticeable amount. If it's easy to move then that may be a tell-tale sign that something is screwed up in that vicinity.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Clutch Problems (Blk00EJ8)

Okay, thank you Blk00EJ8. Sorry, everyone I know calls it a pickle fork so I just assumed that was it's name. And yes, I can move it around easily with my hand.

So, now I'm pulling the tranny out because I am 99% sure that the problem is inside the bell housing.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cracked fork...glad that I didn't buy a new slave cylinder.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

And we have a winner... good find