Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

clutch pedal problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch pedal problem

I just bought this car. It's a stock 97 GSR but I don't want to put this in the Integra section.

It has a problem where the clutch pedal doesn't come all the way back up. It comes up a little bit and then I can use my toe to pull it up further. I got under there and noticed that even if I try to force it, it doesn't come up enough to contact the clutch switch which enables the cruise control.

It's kind of weird. There is a lot of play from the point where it comes up on it's own to where I can pull it up. Doesn't seem right at all. That's what makes me think it's not as simple as adjusting the pedal.

So how do I diagnose this? How do I check the master cylinder, slave cylinder, clutch, or just the fluid? I don't want to throw parts at it. I don't even want to flush the fluid just to find out it's something else.

Thanks for any help.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:51 PM

Default Re: clutch pedal problem

You should try flushing the fluid out first cuz it sounds like you have air in the line. Slave cylinder is in the front of your tranny and easy to check. Also check your fluid to see if your low.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Low fluid will do it but it sounds like the slave.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:42 AM
kp
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try bleeding the slave first. Have someone else sit in the car at the pedals while you wrench with the slave. Make sure your reservoir is topped up first, you don't want any air getting sucked in or else you'll have to start all over. Crack the bleed valve open with a 10mm wrench, get your partner to push the pedal, then tighten the bleed valve and have them let the pedal back up. Do this many times until air comes out, or until you realize that there is no air in the line. I believe this process usually takes about 10-15 pumps of the pedal to be sure the line has been 100% flushed. This method is by far the simplest, and it's free (except for a bit of fluid). It should take a maximum of 10 minutes. If that doesn't correct it, check the master rod inside the car at the pedal and see if you have a major leak, also pull back the rubber boot at the slave and see if there is fluid making it past the seal. Best of luck, that must be hella annoying.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thank you for the responses!

Fluid level is good. I was planning on bleeding it out. I have a hand pump.

How would I know whether the master cylinder or the slave cylinder is bad?

It would be annoying if it was my daily driver. But I barely just bought the car and I'm hanging onto my DA until I get this one cleaned, get the maintenance caught up, and get some security installed.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It was the clutch master cylinder. I got lucky.