Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

clutch pedal noise.. help..

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch pedal noise.. help..

there is a winding noise ( like something its dragging ) when the clutch pedal is pressed.. as soon as i tap the pedal the noise starts.. what could it be? any ideas?

95 delsol si..
Old 07-07-2007, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: clutch pedal noise.. help.. (JCracer723)

Well the only devices the clutch master cylinder controls is the release bearing, its probably starting to seize, and/or digging a raceway into the fingers of the pressure plate.

I've seen 3 civics with the ACT 2600 pressure plate do this, over the course of its life it can eat away as much as .035" off the fingers.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: clutch pedal noise.. help.. (slowcivic2k)

so release bearing.. NOT throw out bearing right?
Old 07-07-2007, 05:11 PM

Honda calls the Throw Out Bearing a Release Bearing.
They are the same.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: clutch pedal noise.. help.. (Tzer)

ah i see... so then im still confused.. some people hear the noise when the pedal is NOT pressed and some when its pressed..
Old 07-07-2007, 05:51 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JCracer723 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ah i see... so then im still confused.. some people hear the noise when the pedal is NOT pressed and some when its pressed.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I think it's all related in one way or another.
Years ago I had a pickup that would make the sound while pressed in. Then last year on our 97 Civic Ex you could hear it untill you just slightly put pressure on the pedal then it got quieter.

I think your safe to drive it as long as you can deal with the noise but it will need attention sooner or later, so start saving/planning on it. and while your in there you may as well replace the clutch/PP/and flywheel or resurface it.

In our situation the previous owner had just put in a new clutch and PP etc.... But one day (A week later) we lost pressure on the pedal. I couldn't get pressure back no matter how many time I bleed the system so I decided to change the slave cylinder and while doing that, the shift fork slid out of the housing. Ut Oh. After pulling it all apart the culprit was a broken shift fork Pivot Ball. There was also a broken "Ear" on the TOB. I don't know if the noise I was hearing was due to the missing "Ear" but most likely it was.

Either way you'll have to drop the tranny to get to it all, so while in there R&R everything you can while it's in the open.

I got away with changing the Pivot ball of course, a TOB, a Shift fork (I could have used the old one but it had some bad wear where the TOB Ear would ride. The clutch and pp were fine and new as the previous stated so I left them. It's all good to this day. Beings I had to order the pivot ball and fork from Honda, I just ordered the TOB from them too. I think it came to $140ish in parts.

Good Luck.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: clutch pedal noise.. help.. (Tzer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tzer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Honda calls the Throw Out Bearing a Release Bearing.
They are the same.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Honda calls it a clutch release bearing.

The release bearing noise 9/10 times is not the cause of what people call a release bearing failure, and the only way this bearing would make noise is when the clutch is pressed in, when the bearing is loaded on the fingers of the pressure plate.

Noise that is audible when the clutch is pressed in and then released is internal to the transmission, as the mainshaft is turning at engine speed, most of the time it is the input shaft bearing going bad. Only 30-40 dollars in parts for new seals and an ISB. If you ride the shifter, don't, the transmission has shift detent ***** for a reason, so it can hold itself in gear, this will only wear out the shift forks.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slowcivic2k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Noise that is audible when the clutch is pressed in and then released is internal to the transmission, as the mainshaft is turning at engine speed, most of the time it is the input shaft bearing going bad. Only 30-40 dollars in parts for new seals and an ISB. If you ride the shifter, don't, the transmission has shift detent ***** for a reason, so it can hold itself in gear, this will only wear out the shift forks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ding ding ding.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: clutch pedal noise.. help.. (fourthgenhatchB17)

it looks like it might be the release bearing.. then
Old 07-12-2007, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well now i think i started to hear a lil noise when the pedal its not pressed...

anything i can do to so it wont take a dump on me soon?? as far as special fluid into the tranny?
Old 07-12-2007, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That is the bearings in the transmission, odds are they are worn, or failing, very common problem, and only takes about 30-$40 in parts to fix it, mainly a new ISB and ISB seal.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slowcivic2k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That is the bearings in the transmission, odds are they are worn, or failing, very common problem, and only takes about 30-$40 in parts to fix it, mainly a new ISB and ISB seal.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah plus labor.. which its not cheap..
Old 07-12-2007, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JCracer723 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yeah plus labor.. which its not cheap.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep... next time factor in the cost of the labor... It's mean to get someone hyped up telling them it's only 30-40 dollars in parts lol. It's that PLUS a few hundred for the fix... That's why many will just tell you to just replace the tranny since it's MUCH cheaper, unless you're willing to take apart your tranny. That's ONLY if your problem is the input shaft bearing. Let's all hope it's just the throwout bearing.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No, there are step by step guides to replacing the ISB's on here, and all over the net, and it really isn't as hard to do as some people think it is.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slowcivic2k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No, there are step by step guides to replacing the ISB's on here, and all over the net, and it really isn't as hard to do as some people think it is.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Same as I was thinking. I read that how-to guide and it doesn't seem hard at all. Main thing is to make sure you put everything back in and don't forget any parts.. or you have to tear it all back apart lol. I almost can't wait for my ISB to go out just to tackle the job. I love taking stuff apart.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: clutch pedal noise.. help.. (sageuvagony)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sageuvagony &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Same as I was thinking. I read that how-to guide and it doesn't seem hard at all. Main thing is to make sure you put everything back in and don't forget any parts.. or you have to tear it all back apart lol. I almost can't wait for my ISB to go out just to tackle the job. I love taking stuff apart.</TD></TR></TABLE>

which guide are you guys talking about.. i found one but old and no pics..
Old 07-12-2007, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I saw that one too, there was like 3 of em on here at one time, looks like I will be pulling the camera out and doing a writeup on it soon...

For now, here is one on another forum, its a D-series, but it constructed basically the same as a B-series.
Old 07-12-2007, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slowcivic2k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I saw that one too, there was like 3 of em on here at one time, looks like I will be pulling the camera out and doing a writeup on it soon...

For now, here is one on another forum, its a D-series, but it constructed basically the same as a B-series.</TD></TR></TABLE>

where? d series here.. so it would be really helpfull..
Old 07-12-2007, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.d-series.org/forums...14079

sorry, forgot to post the link, was busy posting the same thing on another post and I thought I got both of them.

Yes, it will be very helpful.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok guys i know u have been saying that is the input shaft bearings..

BUT im hoping its not.. could it just be the clutch?

this past 2 times that i have start up the car in the morning.. the noise is louder.. but its mostly when i press in the clutch.. sounds like something its grinding metal with metal.. i didnt know what to do so i just started to press in and release the pedal after like 10 times on doing this the grinding noise went away.. drove it for a while came back home and i let it cooled down.. after a few hours i started up the car again, did the same thing and noise went away again..
Old 07-27-2007, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Clutch disc is probably sticking to the shaft, and rubbing on the flywheel, clutch could be worn out and the cushion spring built into the disc is not doing its job. Most don't know what I'm even talking about, but if you look between the two friction surfaces, there is a wave spring in there, called a Marcel spring that helps remove the disc from the flywheel when it is pressed, if this spring does not operate correctly, centrifical force will suck the disc back on the flywheel, and cause your drag. If that is worn out, or the hub is stuck to the shaft, or both, it will cause a whining noise similar to that.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:26 PM
D Tranny Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

whining nosie when you tap the pedal = throwout/release bearing.

Also.......

ISB's are only $40 in parts, I only charge $50 to replace it IF you bring the tranny to me, I'm not pulling it out of the car for you
Old 07-30-2007, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mista Bone)

thanks.. ill update this when i drop in a new clutch kit this coming up weekend..