Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

click noise under accel. and decel (NOT while turning)

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default click noise under accel. and decel (NOT while turning)

I've been hearing a Clicking noise when ever i depress or let out the clutch. It's not every time, but frequent enough to be annoying.... I don't think it's the CV's since it happens on a straight stretch. Also it can obviously be heard in 1st and 2nd, could it be a bad motor mount?? No loss in performance, but's friggin annoying.

Any ideas??? It's only when you step on the gas or let off it after accelerating. Any ideas would help, i'm lost.

Thanks
Old 08-10-2006, 05:39 PM

Default Re: click noise under accel. and decel (redrelease)

Have someone watch the motor while you try to go with the brak on and see if your motor moves too much or if it hits any thing. Do it in both forward and reverse.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you hear a click and feel it in the pedal, it's normal. does it happen in neutral? go lub up the slave cyclinder (where the ball contacts the fork). & come back...
Old 08-11-2006, 01:07 AM

It doesn't happen in neutral. I know about the sqeeking sound when you press/depress the clutch in just neutral or in and out of gear. This is completely different, it ONLY happens when shifting in and out of gears, especially on 1st and 2nd when the motors under the most load. i'll try and lube the slave cylinder this weekend hopefully that'll work
Old 08-11-2006, 04:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

motor and tranny mounts like stock_honda_coupe was hinting, check for movement. Loose shift linkage, worn bushing on bar that runs from shift linkage to tranny (no clue what it's really called).

Does the shift lever move under heavy accel/decel?

block tires/ebrake/put car in first and reverse and check for movement...
Old 08-11-2006, 04:40 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

If the click is heard at the exact moment that the clutch grabs then it could be a bad engine mount or even a bad inner Cv joint on an axle.

The click is probably happeneing right as torque is being applied, so the change of direction on the axles and/or engine is probably what you're hearing.

Try having someone watch the engine mounts as you hold the gas at a constant and kind of "pop" the clutch - if they see any torn mounts start there.

If the mounts check fine lift the car and grab the axle shaft near the inner cv joint and shake it back and forth and check for any play - they should not move much at all, and if they do you may need to replace the bad axle.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:58 AM

Default Re: click noise under accel. and decel (B18C5-EH2)

thanks guys. The drive home today the clicking also happened even after the clutch was engaged. i.e. when i'm in 2nd and suddenly floor it i hear a click, and when i'm in 2nd and suddenly let off the gas at 3000 rpm, i hear it. not just in second either, but more often in 2nd and 1st.

i'm gonna give a look-see this weekend, but i'm leaning more towards a motor mount since it does it even while in gear...... any other ideas are welcomed, just in case

thanks for input though
Old 08-11-2006, 01:33 PM

also it could be the imputshaft bearring.....mine was doig it and now its in the shop i couldnt fix it.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:40 PM

Default Re: click noise under accel. and decel (v8killa91)

well here's the deal.... check the mounts by applying gas and break while letting clutch. also checked by trying to move the motor, no success....

also tried to to slide the axles back and forth, now they moved, um say, a little less than a quarter inch from side. I'm sure if that's ok or not??
but so far that's all i got.

guess i'll have to take her to the shop to see if it's a bearing or something of that nature.

but i'm almost temped to wait till the **** breaks since drivability is fine........
Old 08-15-2006, 01:54 PM

Well, after a weekend inspection, it seems that i have a good idea as to where this noise is coming from:

I believe that on ej8's there is a donut that goes on the header/cat connection. kind of a gasket i guess, the cat also has springs on the bolts. It looks like that gasket is moving ever so slightly and when under any type of load it would hit against the pipe.....

Does any of that make sense, i hope?????
Old 08-15-2006, 05:40 PM

I don't think that part of the exhaust would make a noise when you depress the clutch or shift gears. You should be able to tell where its coming from (between clutch and header/cat) simply due to positioning. I'm guessing its your throwout bearing/input shaft bearing as someone already stated. I JUST changed my TO bearing tonight and it still makes the noise. I should have changed the IS bearing in the process but something came up and i could no longer donate the extra hour it takes to get to the IS bearing. BTW it only takes about 2 to 2 1/2 hours to change the TO bearing. Having a lift helps a lot.