Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

claimed semi built b18a1

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default claimed semi built b18a1

ok,so since my last thread was closed for non tech question i'll post this up here purely technical..i have a b18a1 block,completely stock looking..yet a friend of the guy whom i bought it from says its modded internally..well i asked the guy i bought it from he says this when i asked about how it was built n what for
"Somewhat built..pistons rods and mild cams head studs..it will work for either but I'd throw some boost at it"
he didnt build it but got it in a shell he bought n tore it apart to check it all out..so he's seen the inside of the motor,i havent. Now ik the pistons/rods would be a pain to check but can i remove my valve cover n see if they are indeed not stock LS cams? n if so would there be any indicators of it? markings etc?

he also guestimated it had 140hp at the wheels..you B series guys..does this seem logical with the above mentioned mods..being that i dont know 100%.

also..if this is true,ive been running 87 in my car as i assumed it was bone stock LS..should i be running higher grade like 89/93?
Old 02-05-2014, 11:01 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: claimed semi built b18a1..other thread closed.

You can check the bottom end by pulling the oil pan (and possibly girdle) off and inspecting. The rods are easy to spot, but the pistons are a bit tougher...if they're aftermarket, they'll have a casting/product number on the underside which you should be able to see with a flashlight looking up into the engine.

The cams are a little trickier, but if you post a few detailed pictures, someone will be able to give you an answer.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

140hp at the wheels with a "built" motor... That's less than stock isn't it?!
Old 02-05-2014, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by lowN$low
yet a friend of the guy whom i bought it from says its modded internally..

lol that's almost a dead giveaway it's bullshit sorry but "a friend of a friend knows a guy" blah blah. You can do as Schister66 said that will give you a better idea.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:14 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just a picture of the top of the piston should make it dead obvious if they're aftermarket or not. If there is a part number cast into the bottom of them, that would help narrow down exactly what they are. Rods, like Schister said, are easy to spot. The motor shouldn't have a girdle, so if it does, there's another good indicator.

Set the motor to TDC, remove the distributor, valve cover, and the big plastic plug, and take multiple pictures of the cams. Top complete, top near both ends, and the tips of the cams where the distributor and plastic plug would be. We can work on that from there.

140 at the wheels is a little bit more than stock - the 90-91 A1 is rated 130 to the flywheel, and the 92-93 A1 is rated 140 at the flywheel. 140 at the flywheel is roughly (very roughly) 120 at the wheels for a healthy motor and drivetrain. 130 is (once again, very roughly) 110. Unfortunately, that all says nothing about the tune - It would be a safe bet that, on a freshly rebuilt, completely stock B18A1 you could safely get 140 to the wheels with absolutely zero modifications to the motor.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by cstone94
140hp at the wheels with a "built" motor... That's less than stock isn't it?!
140 is stock at the flywheel..less at the wheels because of loss in the trans.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by B_Swapped93
lol that's almost a dead giveaway it's bullshit sorry but "a friend of a friend knows a guy" blah blah. You can do as Schister66 said that will give you a better idea.
thats the thing, i asked the guy directly whom i bought it from n he told me this not the friend of friend..that guy only told me it might be modded n to ask the original owner and the 140 figure i said was his guess,he didnt say it as a "it is this ___ hp" kinda thing,just a guess to my question of what it might be pushing far as hp. so it could be more if it is built and around 120 if not..but when i can afford to have it down for a few hrs i'll check on it.and i'll post pics of the cams
Old 02-06-2014, 02:18 AM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

Just pull the pan and valve cover and post pics.