Notices

Rod options for LSVtec running boost

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rod options for LSVtec running boost

I'm still in the research stages with my first LSVtec-T build, and one of my main concerns with the build are rods.

I know LS rods are junk because of the low ratio (1.54:1), and so are the B1C rods (1.59:1). So my question is what are my options to run in a B18a1 with a P72 (GSR) head if I'm aiming towards boost.

I would like to run a pretty aggressive turbo set-up and at this point the rods are all I'm worried about. I was curious if shotpeen LS rods are truely a good solution, or if it is possible to run B16a or even better B16B rods, and what all other internal components would be necessary in order to use either one of those rods. I plan on running 8.5:1 or 9:1 compression pistons but haven't decided on a brand yet.

With the head I have plans for running my stock GSR cams (everybody raves about them), S2 dual titanium valve springs & retainers, Pro or tuner series S2 cam gears, and a port and polish.

I am also considering aftermarket rods if any are available for this application. If so what type and ratios. Again, let me know what all specific block internals must be ran with what specific rods.

Mostly looking for rod advice, but any other advice with my build would be greatly appreciated also.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:12 PM

Default Re: Rod options for LSVtec running boost (BoneEIGHT)

BUMP, please somebody help. I need some information on this.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you run B16A rods, you'll need some very specific specs for custom pistons because Otherwise you might end up with something like 3:1 static compression as the rods simply aren't long enough. B16B rods put you in a similar predicament but they're too long and will likely be the cause of a territorial dispute between your piston and your head. In theory if you are getting custom pistons, you could get some with a greatly reduced deck height, but then you might have to run a smaller wrist pin which could cause other issues.

Bottom line is: if you're planning on using an LS block, then by all means use stock length rods.

If I were you I'd worry more about the relative strength of the sleeves and about engine management.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:53 PM
HELLO,GOOD MORNIN'

Default Re: Rod options for LSVtec running boost (BoneEIGHT)

simple answer.

Don't waste your time with stock rods on after market pistons. to make things simple for you, do aftermarket rods and pistons

LS rods-crower, eagle, manley, carrillo, the list is long.

Don't make the set up more difficult than it is. Theres no need for shotpeen'd rods.

Stock GSR cams work but if your looking for optimum power there are better cams

ITR/CTR
Skunk2 pro1's

here are some LSvtec set up's read through it
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1509557