Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

CKF Sensor Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CKF Sensor Issues

Hello all,

I wasn't too sure where to post this so I'll post it here.

My car, as of last week, has been plagued with a no-crank, no-start condition and I have been scouring different resources and testing different parts on the engine. After holding the key to On for 10 seconds, I get a CEL with code P1359. Everything looked fine so I didn't think it could be the CKF sensor. Now I want to test the connector but I cannot seem to unplug it.
2 questions I have for anyone who can answer them... how have you unplugged this sensor from under the fuel injectors? and would anyone be able to shine some light on what could cause a no-crank issue?

Thanks to anyone who can help!
It's a D16Y7 if that matters.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Re: CKF Sensor Issues

The ECU has nothing to do with whether or not the engine will crank. The starter circuit goes from the key switch to the clutch switch and relay (if manual) or the shift lever switch (if automatic) then to the starter.

There is also a wire from the starter circuit to the ECU to tell the ECU that someone is trying to start the car. This is why you get codes when holding the key and it doesn't crank. The ECU expects to see signals from the sensors that the engine is turning. If it doesn't it throws a sensor code.

Again, the ECU doesn't control the starter in any way.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

OP, you have to remove the plug from the metal mounting plate before you can unplug it.
Old 03-29-2019, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mk378
The ECU has nothing to do with whether or not the engine will crank. The starter circuit goes from the key switch to the clutch switch and relay (if manual) or the shift lever switch (if automatic) then to the starter.

There is also a wire from the starter circuit to the ECU to tell the ECU that someone is trying to start the car. This is why you get codes when holding the key and it doesn't crank. The ECU expects to see signals from the sensors that the engine is turning. If it doesn't it throws a sensor code.

Again, the ECU doesn't control the starter in any way.
That totally makes sense when I think about it. Tomorrow ill be checking the ignition switch and the clutch safety switch and hope I can get closer to a solution.
Old 03-30-2019, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For anyone who is interested now or in the future for this no-crank situation (all tests done as per what the service manual says):
Tested starter signal to ECM, signal present and good
Checked for continuity in Ignition Switch, one odd thing showed up but otherwise the Ignition Switch is good
Checked for continuity in Clutch Interlock Switch, switch looked good
Checked connections to starter and battery, all connections appeared clean and tight
Checked for continuity in both terminals in the Starter Solenoid, starter solenoid looks good
I reconnected the wires to my starter and plugged my spark plug cables back in, checking their connections to the distributor
Went to check the starter itself so I followed step 1 to check for engagement of the starter and the car started up without a problem..
The car now runs fine at the moment so I have no idea what could've been wrong

For anyone having similar issues, I suggest checking most connections (including the spark plug cables) for dirty or corroded pins!
Old 03-30-2019, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 328 Likes on 308 Posts

Methinks you'll be revisiting the same problem again soon.