Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Civic Shifting issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Civic Shifting issues

Ok, my girl's car has some periodic issues shifting into first. The clutch feels good and the MTF is pretty fresh, synchros should be fine (shifts smooth except for the mentioned issues). The car is a 97 Civic HX 114k miles

Trying to shift into first after reversing is nearly impossible unless the car is at a complete stop. It seems that every once and awhile (slightly more than usual), the car has trouble getting into first gear from a complete stop. Oddly enough, it shifts into reverse every time with no difficulty. It does feel a little difficult to pull the shifter out of reverse every once in awhile.

I've bled the clutch mc, which is not leaking, and it is much the same. I also replaced the driver side torque mount, which was partially torn. This made the largest difference and helped out a bit with overall shift feel. My only other idea would be to do the driver side mount under the air box area, but I can't tell if it is too bad (it looks intact). Should I be looking at another mount for this type of issue (the motor does seem to move a bit more than normal during the 1-2 shift at higher rpms)? Maybe the shifter or shift rod bushings?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-29-2010, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Civic Shifting issues

yup, you are definitely looking in the right direction. the most common cause of FWD shifting issues is the linkage(whether its engine mounts that allow the engine to move in a way thats not right.........or if its the linkage itself that is outta whack).

i would do a good inspection of all the mounts and the bushings on the shift rods. if it seems like the engine is moving more than is normal then id take a close look at the torque mount behind the engine(it controls most of the engine torque). i had the front D/S torque mount fall apart when i was changing belts one time.........i couldnt get the part for a couple days so i drove it with it busted and then with the new one in and i couldnt feel any difference........so i would be looking at that main rear torque mount.