Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Broken Engine Mount

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Engine Mount

Some of you might know of the trouble I had a while back with my car. I thought it was the clutch causing the problem. The car just got to the shop last night and he gave it a quick look over before closing and said it had a busted engine mount. Upper Driver side mount I believe.

Now I've been having problems with heavy chatter on take off and downshifting and then later on I had problems with the transmission disengaging when I give the car too much gas. (Which is all too easy with the shape it's in right now) Well I thought the whole time it was just my clutch. The clutch does move to slowly back into place after letting off.

Could the engine mount be causing the chatter (shaking and rattling of the car) and the trans disengaging? Maybe the clutch is causing the chatter and the broken mount causing the disengagement? Maybe Vice Versa? Or do y'all think it's all my clutch and I just happen to have a busted mount too? Any help would be appreciated thank you.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Broken Engine Mount (Techy)

All your problems could be caused by the upper mount. Do you have your AC torque mount on? When my friends upper mount broke the motor tried to jump out of the engine bay when hard shifted. Get the hasport upper mount. Best mount ever.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:13 AM

Default Re: Broken Engine Mount (Luserkid)

chatter is definitely mount issues. might njot go away entirely though. clutch gets damaged after a while of chattering all the time. your shift rod bushing under the center of the car might be gone as well. bad shift rod bushing will cause car to pop out of gear randomly.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Broken Engine Mount (Techy)

torque mounts worn possible, rear mount also...
More possible, there's a bushing at the shift linkage... the solid bar that holds the tranny in place relative to the linkage has a rubber bushing in it. When mine wore out the car started popping out of gear under heavy throttle... check it

edit... exactly what cranny is talking about...
Old 11-29-2006, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oh grand just what I wanted to hear. More problems. So possible clutch issue. Motor mount definately screwing the thing up. Possible shifter problems.

It doesn't pop out of gear with heavy throttle. The car just chatters then revs still in gear and if I let off then the transmission re engages.

Since money is an extreme issue for me, I'm pulling the motor mounts out of a another hatch sitting in a junkyard.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Techy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Techy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It doesn't pop out of gear with heavy throttle. The car just chatters then revs still in gear and if I let off then the transmission re engages.

.</TD></TR></TABLE>
This right here tells me on top of the bad motor mount your having a clutch problem. A slipping clutch or on that is oil soaked will chatter as it starts to slip add in the fact that you have a bad motor mount and you have alot of chatter going on. Replace the motor mount check all the other mounts on the car then go for a drive. If you still have chatter or slipping while accelerating it time for a clutch
Old 11-29-2006, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (instructor74)

damn

I think I'm go find the previous owner of this car and kick his ***.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Techy)

Well, my engine mount is busted for sure and no other damage has been found so far except................................. my clutch is destroyed, SO I didn't spend $318 on that Exedy for nothing.