Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

civic dx motor build on a budget need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default civic dx motor build on a budget need help

i wrecked my car and am getting a shell monday the only part of the engine i have is d16y7 head what is my best route.

budget:
lets say 2000 max preferably less
which counts someone putting it in
i dont want to do it myself cause all
ive ever changed is the head which
is rebuilt

goals:
engine run good and strong
clean or rebuilt
Old 02-02-2013, 07:38 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: civic dx motor build on a budget need help

Two grand isn't enough to get the motor installed and do anything noticeable. If you installed the engine yourself, you could piece together your own T28/T3/19T turbo build.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im not worried about speed atm just want the engine to be in good condition
i plan to add on to it later now i just need it to run
Old 02-02-2013, 07:51 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Then you don't want a motor build, you want a motor overhaul. Get the block honed, replace the rings, replace the bearings, and replace all of the seals and gaskets.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your best best is to get the shell, find a d16y7/d1678 on craiglist(Full swap + tranny and everything) and have the motor overhauled. Like JB said Block honed, replace the rings, replace the bearings, seals and gaskets. To add on to that, anything with wear on it change ex: Water pump, thermostat, spark plugs(Just get NGK V-powers + NGk wires), run some nice synthetic oil(No need to go all out), flush all your fluids and replace them, de-grease and clean the engine bay(Prevent anything getting in ANY part of the engine). In other words Tune-up + Overhaul.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^Wow i couldn't of said it better. Listen to perfection. Two thousand isn't a bad budget if your going to do all the labor work yourself. But in your shoes just getting a whole engine rebuild from oil drain plug to oil cap is going to run some labor money excluding putting it into the car.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JDMB1692EG
^Wow i couldn't of said it better. Listen to perfection. Two thousand isn't a bad budget if your going to do all the labor work yourself. But in your shoes just getting a whole engine rebuild from oil drain plug to oil cap is going to run some labor money excluding putting it into the car.
Thanks, Really just suck it up and do research. Find a buddy that loves cars and get his *** to come over. You can EASILY swap a engine in a day(From like 8am-8pm) including reading up at the same time. Don't half *** the swap when you can do it yourself. No reason you need to pay to have something done that you can do yourself. That money can go towards gas,New part, New suspension, brand new tires and alignment. I know it seem like i'm being an *** about it but there is just some things you can't have others do for you. It's your car, learn it.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PerfectionIsKey
Thanks, Really just suck it up and do research. Find a buddy that loves cars and get his *** to come over. You can EASILY swap a engine in a day(From like 8am-8pm) including reading up at the same time. Don't half *** the swap when you can do it yourself. No reason you need to pay to have something done that you can do yourself. That money can go towards gas,New part, New suspension, brand new tires and alignment. I know it seem like i'm being an *** about it but there is just some things you can't have others do for you. It's your car, learn it.
Damm dude were totally on the same page. Hey its actually a good learning process too.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Damm dude were totally on the same page. Hey its actually a good learning process too.
Hands down the best experience i've had with cars so far. Also got to race a Mazda3, 2012 Si, 2012 Camaro SS, and a STi in a AP2(06 s2000). Can't believe they kept up! lol we were all within 1/4 car length from each other. I thought that was amazing but building and swapping engines is a different story. Just having that pride that YOU BUILT the car and not someone else.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by PerfectionIsKey
Hands down the best experience i've had with cars so far. Also got to race a Mazda3, 2012 Si, 2012 Camaro SS, and a STi in a AP2(06 s2000). Can't believe they kept up! lol we were all within 1/4 car length from each other. I thought that was amazing but building and swapping engines is a different story. Just having that pride that YOU BUILT the car and not someone else.
Thread JACKED lol. Damm that sounds fun though. I try to keep my stuff on the tracks, had my first speeding ticket and now im paranoid.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:33 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Thread JACKED lol. Damm that sounds fun though. I try to keep my stuff on the tracks, had my first speeding ticket and now im paranoid.
Good. Paranoid driving is the first step towards defensive driving. Defensive driving is correct driving.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^You know what now that i look and think about it your dead on correct
Old 02-02-2013, 11:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Back on thread topic..

For 2k you could luck into a mild build rdy to drive, alot of people are selling stuff cheap cause of winter bills or their wife is making them sale.. I would just scour CL and look, you could also check out Mautofied.com I seen a few minor built Del Sols for 1500.. Some Hatch swapped Civics for 2k

Of course its up to you to haggle
Old 02-03-2013, 01:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont mind doing it myself but i dont have a cherry picker or engine stand or anything like that and im no good at getting the timing correct.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a D series you and a friend can just lift it out by hand. It's light. I've even carried a d16 long block myself.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

0o thats good news i didnt know how heavy it was lol im pretty strong i dont know anyone in my area maybe ill post a add on craigslist asking someone for help and do it myself will i need an engine holder thing or would it be ok just on a table if i need the holder how much are those

and should i buy the engine at a junk yard and rebuild it cause there isnt any at all on craigslist in my area
Old 02-03-2013, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i found a d16z6 what do i have to do to put that in my car tranny and all or is it easier to put all d16z6 and use my d16y7 head?
Old 02-03-2013, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 4dr_Noob
i found a d16z6 what do i have to do to put that in my car tranny and all or is it easier to put all d16z6 and use my d16y7 head?
You're from frankfort Ky??? I'm from Versailles. Worked in frankfort for the last 2 years. Anyways, what year is your car? If it originally had a Y7 its OBDII, so to put an OBDI engnine in it would require some electrical work. Or you could just put the Y7 head & intake on it and not have to deal with all that though. Have you checked for any JDM motors? Most are quaranteed under 40k miles. A buddy of mine just got a B18 from a place that sells them up near Cincinnati. They were reasonable on prices. Engine in my car is an OBDII jdm D15b Vtec. It's the same casting # as a Y8, and they could be had for around a grand.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EGxBoostFiend
You're from frankfort Ky??? I'm from Versailles. Worked in frankfort for the last 2 years. Anyways, what year is your car? If it originally had a Y7 its OBDII, so to put an OBDI engnine in it would require some electrical work. Or you could just put the Y7 head & intake on it and not have to deal with all that though. Have you checked for any JDM motors? Most are quaranteed under 40k miles. A buddy of mine just got a B18 from a place that sells them up near Cincinnati. They were reasonable on prices. Engine in my car is an OBDII jdm D15b Vtec. It's the same casting # as a Y8, and they could be had for around a grand.
nice i have only been looking a few days the car its going into is gonna be a 97 civic dx how hard would it be to use the z6 tranny and bottom and use the y7 head and y8 intake
Old 02-03-2013, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 4dr_Noob
nice i have only been looking a few days the car its going into is gonna be a 97 civic dx how hard would it be to use the z6 tranny and bottom and use the y7 head and y8 intake
Wouldn't be hard at all. Only thing i would wonder about is if the throttle cable and wiring harness from a y7 would work on a y8, those intake manifolds are shaped alot differently. Theres a guy up in louisville selling a complete running Y7 for $650
Old 02-03-2013, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EGxBoostFiend
Wouldn't be hard at all. Only thing i would wonder about is if the throttle cable and wiring harness from a y7 would work on a y8, those intake manifolds are shaped alot differently. Theres a guy up in louisville selling a complete running Y7 for $650
is that counting the tranny? i herd the y8 tranny was alot better
Old 02-03-2013, 09:11 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It is. Get a full Y8 swap. Try and sell that Y7 head.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

http://louisville.craigslist.org/pts/3543085253.html I was going to buy a head off this guy. i also found 2 running D16Y8s on louisville craigslist
Old 02-03-2013, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, here is the issue I see, is a 2k budget..

Rule 1 in ANY build

NEVER think what you have is enough, cause it will come back to bite you in the ***, and any person who has ever done a build will say the same

Cause you have to try and expect the unexpected.. like you pull the motor and snap brake lines, gas lines, and you may fine small issues in the motor.. Than comes tools, question is do you have all the normal tools and special tools or will you need to buy them..

Builds take time and access to money which you may not need.. But 2k may turn into 2500 3, or 4 after it is all said and done.. Just make sure this is what you want, before you start throwing cash......

----------------------

But if you are 100% rdy for it, go to ebay and pic up a JDM 1.6 for around 600 to 800 miles between 50k to 120000
Old 02-03-2013, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It was on private property on paved backyard road. This was like in the BOONIES out in the country. No car's in sight and only around 1/4 mile worth of road. Car's couldn't get on the road if they wanted to. This wasn't on a public street lol