Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

{slow} 92 Carb to FI Conversion and rebuild project.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default {slow} 92DX Hatch. Dutch Dame. (had a setback, check page 2!)

So, my name is Marciano. I'm 22 years old and live in holland.
I bought this civic eg from 92 about 2 months ago for a super low price. 750 euro's to be exact!!!

Now i wanted a civic since i was a little kid. My grandfather used to own a 88 Accord. I LOVED this car. And when i found out what brand it was and stuff my mom used to tell me about how she owned a civic. So i started to do some research (at the age of 7 or 8) and i started to fall in love with these cars.
At the age of 12 i started to fantasize about my own civic. And now.. 10 years later.. I have my own.

So, why all this information? Well, simple said. Just because i love this car. And with this information, maybe you guys can understand a little bit why i am in love with these cars. And will do anything to make it perfect.

Now then. To get OT. This was the little "bitch" when i just got her:

I started doing little things. Fucked up the dash with this green (love the color) that just looked like **** in the dash haha and tinted the back windows:

Then repainted it silver:

after that i gave the engine some color and fixed a plank in the back with speakers:

After this i started to think about what i want to do with it some more. So i started with some other small things.

Spray painted the hood matte black and the H red:

Took out the back of the interior:

And now.. Today, i started the rear interior tuck, and cleaned the cables of my amp:

Tomorrow i'm going to get my other amp fixed (appearantly it's broken).
Go a little further with my tuck.
Buy a new Fuse for the amps (since that blew out today when i accidentaly hit the chassis with the power cable xD).
Find out about some lowering sets a little more.

Future plans:
Full repaint (got a nice and cheap adress who will do the engine bay, outside and inside for only 700 euros! :D wich is quite cheap here in holland).
Lowering.
New wheels.
X-Bar (in the back)
B-C pilar bars
Front triangle swaybar
Detachable steering wheel
some "bucket" seats
window tint (better) at the back, and front a little
Mugen frontlip
New exhaust (right now it has a remus exhaust wich i just do not like)
Battery to back
Engine bay tuck

Future future plans:
Full engine swap, probably a B16C or a B18C.
Convert to fuel injected (wich ofcourse comes with the engine swap)

Now as the title says, this is a slow rebuild. I'm just a poor student and will do things when i have the time and when i have the money.

If you'd still like to join my quest for making this ride a pro again. Stay tuned!

Last edited by AddiXz; 12-15-2012 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Updates! Check page 2!!
Old 10-15-2012, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: {slow} 92 Carb to FI Conversion and rebuild project.

ok, so yesterday my startmotor(?) stopped working. Had this problem before, but then fixed itself. So today i got the engine working again (started it by letting it roll down a "hill" and make it start in 2nd). So i went to the scrapyard and bought me a different one.

(one on the left is the one from the scrapyard).

So, at first it worked like a charm! No problems at all. But then all of a sudden. It did'nt work anymore. Instead of starting, the engine make's this ticking sound (post a vid of it a little later) and won't start.

So, i have no freaking idea how to fix this. Wondering exactly what it is.

So here's the vid:

Last edited by AddiXz; 10-15-2012 at 08:30 AM.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Make sure battery is good and all connections are completely tight. Also run some extra grounds straight off the battery to the frame and block, preferably the thermostat houseing.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks seems to have worked. Appearantly there was a bracket loose wich was connected to ground. Not sure why this was actualy helping. But it works haha.

(it's that bracket on the middle right)
Old 10-15-2012, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stop the PAINTING!!!
Old 10-15-2012, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JuggerNaut-CTR
Stop the PAINTING!!!
lol! yeah i allready stopped. Not realy planning on painting anything in the near future anyway haha. No next time it get's anything painted it get's the full in/outside job (pro).
Old 11-06-2012, 03:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So here's another update. Since the house is sold and i have temporarily moved back in with my mom ( -_-' ) i had some spare cash. So i ordered some new stuff for this sweety.

-Spoon style manual mirrors (spoon because the one's on there are spoon and i got used to them).
-Spoon style spoiler (just cause i like the look).
-Mugen style front lip.
-OEM headlight units (L+R).
-Amber corners.
-JDM yellow foglights.
-Window Visors.
-Head gasket set.
-Timing belt.
-QSP Steering wheel (dd 90mm).
-OEM look snap-off.
-QSP wheel hub extender (30mm).
-AP GF50-002 Coilovers.
-Red/Crystal rear light units.

So now i'm waiting till they come in and i'll have some more to do on her
Old 11-06-2012, 04:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you're swapping to fuel injection, why not just swap the whole motor? Can a B18 be found for cheap over there? It would be a nice power upgrade.

Of course, that would mean your brand new timing belt and head gasket would be useless. lol
Old 11-06-2012, 04:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Prices here for a B18c vary from 2000 euro's to over 3300 euro's.

e.g.:

JDM B18C TYPE R 200HP MOTORSWAP (1.8 VTEC)
Art.nr.: B18CR €3.349,00

also:
EDM K20A2 EP3 MOTORSWAP 200 HP
Art.nr.: K20-EP3 €2.795,00

and:
JDM F20C 250HP S2000 MOTOR (2.0 VTEC)
Art.nr.: F20C €3.395,00

So prices are quite high (i think). But depends on popularity.
Even if i would swap, i'd still replace the timing belt and gaskets. Current engine has some weird things. Wich makes me think that gaskets might not be in good condition anymore. So still have to change them till cause it's also my dd.
The timing belt definately needs replacement since it has the well known screech.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was actually thinking of a B18A1, because they are fairly common (and cheap) and ODB1 so you wouldn't have to mess with any ODB conversion harnesses
Old 11-06-2012, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well would be a good idea. Though the problem is that i can't find those anywhere around here. The thing ofcourse is the a1 is a USDM engine. Kinda hard to find here in EU. If you can find a good one over there, and that person is willing to send it to the EU, please let me know!
Old 11-06-2012, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

looks like its coming along. keep it simple and dont over do it.

lmk if you plan to go with a tuck, i can help you out harness wise.

check facebook link below.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by crx_si-r
looks like its coming along. keep it simple and dont over do it.

lmk if you plan to go with a tuck, i can help you out harness wise.

check facebook link below.
Definatly going for a tuck later on. So looking in to that soon. Pics on ur FB look good. Just wondering though. How exactly do tucks work. I know the small things, but the rest.. I have no idea xD What's the process in making them anyway? You re-use the old cables or just make a completely new one? And what's the price range?
Old 11-07-2012, 05:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AddiXz
well would be a good idea. Though the problem is that i can't find those anywhere around here. The thing ofcourse is the a1 is a USDM engine. Kinda hard to find here in EU. If you can find a good one over there, and that person is willing to send it to the EU, please let me know!
Ah, my mistake. Was the B1 sold over there? That would be my next choice, since they were OBD1 for the first few years.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Cant seem to find those either. Guess my range of choice is limited Any others that could be of interest? i'd like to hear other peoples opinions on some good swap engine's as well.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Are there any auto salvage yards near you? Those are the best bet for finding an engine for cheap. The yard near me sells complete motors for $185 USD (~145 Euros). I saw a B18A1 there the other day, but unfortunately I already built a turbo kit for my D16

Edit: browse through this list and see if anything catches your eye: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_B_engine
Old 11-09-2012, 03:39 AM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

I have always wondered about a full diesel conversion out of a 5-door series European Civic... like from the 2.0 ITD: http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda...hp?mod_01=7812

This is a swap that I am 99% positive hasn't been done, and you would definitely have an enviable Civic on your hands. I suspect quite challenging, but definitely cool.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well have been thinking about it. But i think i'll keep it with a gas engine. It's a good idea though. And @BiX VT: i have been looking around and asking, and a friend of mine is gonna ask around as well. Thinks he might be able to get something in a price range of about 1200-2000 max. Would be very nice ofcourse ^^
Old 11-17-2012, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So here's a new update. I still don't have the products in wich i ordered. Taking quite some time, but i'm still quite patient.

Also i've been working on plans for a word travel (or however you say this in english).

Do i have some quick info?
I'm going to travel around the world probably begin 2014. (yes it's still a long time from now, but that's gonna cost a lot of money and preperations.)
I want to take all the time nescesary (traveling) and work in these countries and stuff as well.

So where do i want to go?
My main goals as for now are:

1. New York, NY, United States / Montreal, QC, Canada / Detroit, MI, United states / Chicago, IL, United states / Mineapolis, MN, United states / Salt Lake City, UT, United states / Las Vegas, NV, United states / Grand Canyon, United states / Miami, FL, United states
  2. Havana, Cuba / Mexico City, Mexico / San Jose, Costa Rica
  3. Oranjestad, Aruba / Valencia, Carabobo, Venezuela / Lima, Peru / Rio de Janeiro, Brazil / Buenos Aires, Argentina
  4. San Fransisco, CA, United states
  5. Hawaii, HI, United states
  6. Brisbane, Queensland, Australia / Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia / Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
  7. Auckland, New Zealand / Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand

Ofcourse i'm not done planning yet and this might change from time to time since i still have about a year before i leave.

What am i expecting?
I am expecting to get alot of expierience in life, work, and social contact. Also i want to meet as many people as i can, build up personal and buisiness relations, and learn alot about different cultures.

But what about the car?!
So this is a point i'm stuck on! I love my civic. I really don't want to loose her and would love to make this trip with her. BUT... i don't think she'll survive all this. And even if she would, she would need ALOT of mods and when i get back i'd probably have to give her a (or another) swap as well.

What about storing her untill i get back?
NO! This is not a posibility. She would just sit there and wait till i get back. Give or take about 3 to 4 years! This is way too long. I think she needs to roll as long as she can. And sitting there in a storage is not an option if you ask me.

Anything else?
Well ofcourse it's still a long time from now. But when i get to the other countries i would love to meet with people close to where i stay. Ofcourse when i say close, i mean within traveling distance less than a day. Also if anybody would be able to get me a job for a month or two (in the area i'm staying in at that time), that would be awesome.

So stated this, i would have to say. These products i'm waiting on. Might be the last one's i do for a while on my civic. Only when i get a money boost or something i'd be able to do more update's. Since i want to save for this travel as much as i can.

Anyone have any ideas what i could do with my ride when i'm on my trip btw?
Old 11-21-2012, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So i got some stuff in.
first i forgot to make a picture of them still in the box lol. or while putting them in but...:

the previous owner put the RLU's in with sealer around the edges o.O wich gave me alot of work to just replace those things. -_-'

also got this in:

Wohoo!! Can't wait to kick those under there!

Also got my new sub, condensator and cables, so i finaly have some good quality music again xD.
Later this week i'll pick up the other stuff so more update's soon!
Old 11-25-2012, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So i dropped her yesterday. Did it all alone >.< Nobody else had time. Anyway. I just put it under there in a wild guess and as you can see the rear still has to be adjusted.

Rear:

In this picture it's very clear how messed up the paint really is and the little rust in my left rear panel.

Front:

First guess, perfect fit! Also the guy on the background is someone from that shop. Very handy this DIY garage. ^^
Old 11-26-2012, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So.. After i put the springs on saturday i went to a party (Qlimax 2012) and on my way there, the bolt on the shocks of the rear springs shot off (yes, literaly SHOT off). So i had to drive halfway there and back with a loose rear damper. I figured i'd go to the shop i bought the springs at since it's probably a manufacturer fault.

They looked at it and indeed it was. So they got a different one and just in case checked the other one's as well.

That's them taking out the coilovers. lol they had more trouble getting them off then me xD

Since they took them off and stuff i figured i'd take a picture of one of the front shocks.

Now i still have to put her on the right height. So i still have to adjust the springs.

After i went to the shop i washed her and made some pics @the wash.

Also i made some pics this afternoon so you guys could see just about how low she got for now (not the height she's gonna be yet).

(the Focus on the left is also lowered about 1,5 - 2 inch's)

This is just about the ground clearance i have at this point. Ever heard of speed bumps? Well we have way too many around here. So i can't realy lower her alot more.

That's my update for now. I'm waiting for the email from A4H for all of my other parts. So just a little longer for the next update's ^^.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Can i change the title of the topic?
Old 12-03-2012, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So here's another update.
Finally got all the other stuff in as well!

Here are some of the boxes:

Also allready put the mugen lip, and the spoon style spoiler on there. Will make a pic later tonight!
Old 12-03-2012, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Spoon style mirrors...hope you like looking at the ground on the passenger side bacause they wont adjust all the way up unless you do the fix. well at least my pair sucked so i just re-painted my stock mirrors and threw them back on.

awesome build by the way,

Quick Reply: {slow} 92 Carb to FI Conversion and rebuild project.