Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

choosing an engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default choosing an engine

i want to build a fast civic, turbocharged. just needs to be streetable enough for a little cruising and getting out to the track.i'm assuming if i did go b series i would want a b18b or b18a for lower compression right. i'm assuming i would get the b18a and then i wouldn't have to change obd. now what about h22 or b20 or f20 or k20. i understand that some of these swaps are a lot more challenging but time is not an issue. i live in edmonton so i get roughly 8 months a year of poor road conditions. looking for opinions with some factual back-up or some good general insight about all the engines.
thanks
Old 07-31-2008, 05:42 PM

Default Re: choosing an engine (notorioussabo)

Dont bother with f20 in my opinion.

H22 isnt the best choice for turbo.

K20 is ALOT of trouble.

I say B18b block and B18c1 head which is called LS/Vtec... build the **** out of it and boost the **** out of it... and tune the **** out of it... and that sounds like what youre looking for.

If you dont like that another option is the B20 block with a Vtec head on it.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

GSR would be awesome. I'd just go LS-t
Old 07-31-2008, 08:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (supersteven)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by supersteven &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">GSR would be awesome. I'd just go LS-t</TD></TR></TABLE>

LS/Vtec is pretty unreliable from what i keep reading. Was thinking about swapping my b16a bottom end for an LS one to try it but from what i read you can't really rev too high like 8k on a GSR or B16 or w/e because you will damage the motor.

and you have to have the car tuned *by someone who knows what they are doing* to get it right and reliable as a honda-motor should be. to the OP i'd say if you want to do a easy reliable turbo set up go with an LS motor. they like the boost and they can be had for cheap, so you can save up for your sick *** turbo set up match that motor with a shorter geared trans and you would have yourself a fun little car :-)
Old 07-31-2008, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

honestly i would consider a b16 for boost they seem to b safer on stock bottom ends maybe a good cometic headgasket n arp headstuds witha good tune
Old 07-31-2008, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

imo:
turbo - b18b or a depding if car is obd1 or 2
engines are cheap trannys got long gears, can reliable boost 8 pounds usually.

NA: h22 or k20 if you have money to burn do one of these swap and dont even bother boosting there is no point unless you have a small dick and have something to proove. the only problems are they cost money people wine about the h22 being heavy but it makes up for it its a bitch to build as well. stock with bolt ons its good. same with the k, both will be reliable as there not being boosted and quick as well.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also in IMO boost is crap.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:17 PM

Default Re: (denniscoles)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by denniscoles &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">also in IMO boost is crap.</TD></TR></TABLE>

NA is way more fun who likes waiting for boost ne ways
Old 08-01-2008, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LS vtec is reliable, you have to think about it, people who build motors build them to be fast, and they abuse the motors. Thats why most lsvtecs doesn't seem reliable. If built and maintained correctly, its just as reliable as any other motor.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:39 PM

Default Re: (Hanmin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hanmin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">LS vtec is reliable, you have to think about it, people who build motors build them to be fast, and they abuse the motors. Thats why most lsvtecs doesn't seem reliable. If built and maintained correctly, its just as reliable as any other motor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

with alot of money and probally a few snapped rods later.

http://www.phatwhippincrx.20m.com/custom4.html

read up son

"The LS/VTEC suffers from a bad R/S, due to the fact that it utilizes an LS block with a R/S of 1.54:1.
A bad R/S is bad for the engine, especially at high RPMs
Hondas make power through revving, and high power through revving higher, high compression, and aggressive camshafts

Because of its R/S ratio, it is not recommended that you rev an LS/VTEC past 6750 RPM on stock internals- the redline of a stock B18A-B. With a fairly built bottom end, it is still not recommended that you rev an LS/VTEC past 7800 RPM.

As we just discussed, in order to get any considerable power out of an engine, aggressive camshafts are a must. In order to get any benefit from aggressive camshafts, the ability to rev the engine high is a necessity. What good is VTEC if you can only use it for the top 1000 RPM of your powerband?"

just a tid bit from that site...
Old 08-01-2008, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dividedas1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dividedas1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

read up son

"The LS/VTEC suffers from a bad R/S, due to the fact that it utilizes an LS block with a R/S of 1.54:1.
Hondas make power through revving, and high power through revving higher, high compression, and aggressive camshafts

Because of its R/S ratio, it is not recommended that you rev an LS/VTEC past 6750 RPM on stock internals- the redline of a stock B18A-B. With a fairly built bottom end, it is still not recommended that you rev an LS/VTEC past 7800 RPM.

As we just discussed, in order to get any considerable power out of an engine, aggressive camshafts are a must. In order to get any benefit from aggressive camshafts, the ability to rev the engine high is a necessity. What good is VTEC if you can only use it for the top 1000 RPM of your powerband?"

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Rod, Stroke, all in the bottom end. It just means you shouldn't be revving your motor to 8k+. The LS bottom is still an LS bottom and it shouldn't be revved passed LS red line for safety.....

RS Deez nuts.... as I said, racing is mostly why lsvtec arent considered reliable.
failed
Old 08-01-2008, 02:18 PM

Default Re: (Hanmin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hanmin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">as I said, racing is mostly why lsvtec arent considered reliable.
failed</TD></TR></TABLE>

where did you say that? pwn'd and you aren't even a newb

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hanmin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">LS vtec is reliable, you have to think about it, people who build motors build them to be fast, and they abuse the motors. Thats why most lsvtecs doesn't seem reliable. If built and maintained correctly, its just as reliable as any other motor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

LSVTEC doesnt seem reliable lol they don't seem reliable because they arent. you are basically taking a head that is mean to be revved up high 8k+ and putting it with a low revving block... and don't you think if LS/VTEC was so sweet honda would of came up with the idea them selves? theres probally a reason why they didnt

according to this your saying they are unreliable because people abuse them... its a freakin honda.... thats what they are meant for. easy to drive and they dont mind the abuse.

having a dohc vtec honda that you can only rev to 6750 would be like having sex with a chick and her only letting you put the head in for a few seconds at a time.

i think any one with a b16 or a GSR or a ITR swap would agree with me on that.

ls/vtec &lt; b16/GSR/ITR/LS-T

Old 08-01-2008, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its reliable at stock ls redline if you put a stock vtec head with a stock ls bottom. but if its built correctly, it'll be reliable to support higher rpms. lsvtec with all stock parts is still faster than a stock ls with the limit so low. Your still going faster, im not sure if its the same at low end, but from the crossover up its definitely making more power.

If your abusing your motor, your at the least racing it.

agree with you with what? that honda's don't mind the abuse? all cars will wear down, its just that with an ls bottom, its more prone to break at higher rpm because honda didn't design it for higher rpms. Honda did build a a similar, more drastic lsvtec. Preludes ever come to mind? H22? has a bigger displacement than the ls, revs higher, and has vtec. Honda made the "LSVTEC" already. and its pretty reliable to me.

Again if built correctly it can be reliable even at higher rpms. a new crank, and rod for your "RS" to be perfect and to be able to handle higher rpm, then the right piston to give you the compression ratio your looking for.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:01 PM

Default Re: (dividedas1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dividedas1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

read up son

</TD></TR></TABLE>

holy crap, someone actually found some useful info from my old site.....

Anywho....

For turbo, a 1.8 would be better. More displacement than a 1.6, and the LS tranny is geared longer. Gonna get more for your rpms

n/a? GSR or poor mans ITR.

B20s and CRVTEC and LSVTEC are cool and all, but more of a novelty than anything, really. I'd rather just toss an engine in and go, not have to worry about it.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:47 PM

Default Re: choosing an engine (notorioussabo)

id go with a ls and a sweet as turbo. the ls is a good motor , [freak] ls vtec. i had a stock ls in my 95hatch with gsr trans and i was smashing my buds 97 h22 prelude that had intake, headers, and exhaust and i did my swap for 1k. i would go ls motor and maybe build it alittle and go with a gt30r turbo. the turbo has good low end and a better high end power. it would have enough power to have fun and get you in trouble but still be very relieable. also relatively CHEAP.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:57 AM

Default Re: choosing an engine (my 95hatch drinks v8s)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by my 95hatch drinks v8s &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">[freak] ls vtec. i had a stock ls in my 95hatch with gsr trans and i was smashing my buds 97 h22 prelude </TD></TR></TABLE>

those preludes are heavy pigs lol i would keep up with them with my relativly stock sohc

any who finally some people that agree with me... f' LS/Vtec, i researched the **** out of it because i was originally thinking of building one. i have a b16a in my hatch and i wanted to swap out my bottom end because of some hack job the guy did with the motor mounts.

and basically my conclusion was if i was to drive this car every day as i do i wouldnt want to have to worry about something breaking... thats why i decided not to pick up an ls bottom even if they are cheap i wouldnt want to mess up my head... GSR bottom end is the way im going!