Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Checking Intake Manifold sensors???

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Checking Intake Manifold sensors???

I posted my scenario a while back. Had a bad valve seal, so I change headgasket, cleaned carbon off of valves, and put brand new valve seals on. Car is a 99EX, had compression of 200-150-180-200. Thats how I bought the car, the guy say he had hit a big puddle of water so I bought it for FAR less than KBB. Anywho, I had the head pressure tested to see if there was a crack, which was negative, ordered all OEM top end gasket kit, and ARP headbolts, put everything back together and the car will not start at all and haven't started since it was taken apart. Everything has been torqued to spec, labeled and put back in the exact same way it came out.

It has fuel, spark, and I replaced the ignition because it was out of spec when I put the multimeter to it. The timing is aligned and I did it THREE times, still no start on the car. I jumped the ECU to see if I can get a code, no code. I checked every last fuse, no blown fuses. Did a valve lash/clearance/adjustment.

And lastly a compression test. It now gets 100psi across.

I am COMPLETELY stumped for now my car is stuck in the yard, and I can't afford it to be towed to a shop. I've tried everything possible!!! except leakdown test.

The car hasn't been started since before the headgasket change. Is it now the 100psi compression that's causing it to not start???

The ONLY possible last thing I can think of are the IM sensors, I sprayed brake cleaner and wiped as much carbon out of the runners and blew everything out with compressed air. On my behalf, I "did not" remove any sensors for I wasn't thinking at the time. Could any of those cause the car not to start? The ECU isn't throwing any codes, but then again the car hasn't been started at all yet!?!?!!?!
Old 08-22-2008, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Checking Intake Manifold sensors??? (Xscort)

I'm not sure if sensors would cause 100 psi though.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah i know not that. I'm talkin bout when i sprayed brake kleaner to clean out my IM, i only sprayed probably about 3-5oz worth of cleaner. Could that have possibly damaged my sensor and one of my IM sensors is causing my car not to start??
Old 08-22-2008, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Xscort)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Xscort &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah i know not that. I'm talkin bout when i sprayed brake kleaner to clean out my IM, i only sprayed probably about 3-5oz worth of cleaner. Could that have possibly damaged my sensor and one of my IM sensors is causing my car not to start??</TD></TR></TABLE>

I once went through like 2 cans of carb cleaner with the intake manifold on the car and didn't have a single problem. But who knows. At this point it could be so many things since more than one thing was done. And having low PSI like that could indicate bad cam timing.