Question: particles on old oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question: particles in old oil

Sooo...

Last oil change:
I was a sucker and used the Lucas Oil Stabilizer. After reading a couple things by Tegger, I decided not to use it again.

Oil came out smooth, little to none was burned, changed after 3k, and no particles

Come to to this change:
~2.5k later, about 1/2 quart burned off, and particles came out. Nothing huge, just little specs I can feel/see in the pan (used to collect the old oil) after moving the oil to a gallon jug.

Any comments on how best to clear this crap out?

Something other then just changing the oil in 2k or so (which is what I'm planning on doing now).

1997 HX, 5 speed, mostly highway miles
Used a fram oil filter and Valvoline synthetic oil (5w30).

Thanks,

Modified by mohater at 8:00 PM 8/21/2008
Old 08-21-2008, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

get a little better oil filter, fram isn't that great. Mobile 1 is better.

Modified by rSol93 at 8:08 PM 8/21/2008
Old 08-21-2008, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (rSol93)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rSol93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">get a little better fuel filter, fram isn't that great. Mobile 1 is better.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Fram uses cardboard and GLUES their anti-drain valves whereas other companies stamp them in there and use metal instead of cardboard. Fram =

I used to like Fram because of their grip at the end of the filter but now Purolator Pure One filters have the same grip but it's ALL over the filter. I love em!!!

By the way, what did the particles feel like? Did they feel like metal at all? Particles = no good....

Old 08-21-2008, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No - not metal, just rough grit.

I just installed a new OEM fuel filter. I use FRAM for oil only. Fuel filter is OEM.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mohater)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mohater &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No - not metal, just rough grit.

I just installed a new OEM fuel filter. I use FRAM for oil only. Fuel filter is OEM.</TD></TR></TABLE>

sorry i meant oil filter.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks - had to make sure I wasn't crazy.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mohater &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No - not metal, just rough grit.

I just installed a new OEM fuel filter. I use FRAM for oil only. Fuel filter is OEM.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rSol93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

sorry i meant oil filter.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mohater &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks - had to make sure I wasn't crazy.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Huh????? Seemed like you both are the same person

Modified by sageuvagony at 8:17 PM 8/21/2008
Old 08-21-2008, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sageuvagony)

I was trying to understand what the fuel filter had to do with any of this (since he mentioned it).

It feels like rough grit, not metal.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cliff Notes:

I told him not to use fram fuel filter.

He says he uses OEM fuel filter and fram oil.

I say that I meant not to use Fram oil filter.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mohater &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was trying to understand what the fuel filter had to do with any of this (since he mentioned it).

It feels like rough grit, not metal.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I didn't say it felt like metal but that the inside of the filter, the inside at the end is made of metal on the better filters vs Fram which uses cardboard at the end inside the filter.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sageuvagony &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Fram uses cardboard and GLUES their anti-drain valves whereas other companies stamp them in there and use metal instead of cardboard. Fram =
</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is why i use WIX filters

Old 08-21-2008, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't overly worry about it, just drive your car and enjoy it.

Do you have close up pics of these 'particles'? Oh and changing your oil every 2.5K if it is only highway driven might be overkill.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:28 PM

Default Re: (old man neri)

it could be some hard carbon deposits that were somewhere in your motor. before your next oil chage put a half a quart of tranny fluid in your motor and let it run for a few mins then change normally. that should get rid of any sludge or carbon in your motor
Old 08-21-2008, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (old man neri)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by old man neri &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I wouldn't overly worry about it, just drive your car and enjoy it.

Do you have close up pics of these 'particles'? Oh and changing your oil every 2.5K if it is only highway driven might be overkill.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Talk about overkill lol. My damn neighbor changes his oil every 1,000 miles which is about every 2 weeks. I asked him how come he changes his oil too much and all he told me was that every 1,000 miles on the dot he changes it. He changes the oil on both his Altima and his Dodge ram. ALL the time I see him out there changing the oil. 1,000 miles?!?! WTF? I'm tempted to ask him if I could have his old oil after every oil change since it still comes out gold lol.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Where do you guys buy your filters from?
Old 08-22-2008, 04:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Advance Auto Parts is where I get mine. I'd buy them at walmart but they only carry Fram, so screw that.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks - I normally go to Autozone (closest), but I'll check advanced for the next change.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Frickr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I wouldn't overly worry about it, just drive your car and enjoy it.

Do you have close up pics of these 'particles'? Oh and changing your oil every 2.5K if it is only highway driven might be overkill. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry - no pics from yesterday. I'll check to see if there's any residue in the pan I used and take a pic later today.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:45 AM

The Advance auto filter with the grit looks nice but the grit that its cover with becomes loose and gets in the filter because ive see it and didnt want to use it after i saw that, but its been proven that purolator flows better then moble 1 and fram.

I personally use Fram for my Jeep and OEM filters for my b18c1, since it has a better drain back and pressure system (Honda filters)
Old 08-22-2008, 06:56 AM

Default Re: (EkFG)

I use the WIX oil filter that i get from O'reilly
Old 08-22-2008, 07:30 AM
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sageuvagony &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Talk about overkill lol. My damn neighbor changes his oil every 1,000 miles which is about every 2 weeks. I asked him how come he changes his oil too much and all he told me was that every 1,000 miles on the dot he changes it...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I got you beat on that one!

When I worked at a Phillips 66 service station (started working there @ 13 on weekends and after school) we used to have a customer that changed his oil every 1000 miles too - always came in on Saturday mornings.

Now get this...

He used to come to OUR station for two reasons:[*]We sold kerosene - which was kinda rare.[*]We let him come into the lube bay and 'help'.

What he had us do is drain the oil - always came out like brand new - no clouding, no nothing...

Then, we would lower the car and put 4 qts of kerosene in the engine and let it idle for 5 minutes...

Then, raise it back up again, pull the oil filter, and drain the kerosene.

While the kerosene was draining, the customer would take a shop rag and shine the undercarriage of his car from bumper to bumper - oil pan, suspension, muffler - everything. Always looked like brand spanking new underneath - like it just came from the factory!

Anyway, that's the gawd's truth!!!

I've always wanted to do that to one of my new cars - just for the fun of it - but can't bring myself to be that ****...
Old 08-22-2008, 07:38 AM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (vega4049)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vega4049 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I use the WIX oil filter that i get from O'reilly </TD></TR></TABLE>

WIX invented the pleated paper filter - and they're very good - especially if you're looking for some oddball size - like for the hydraulics on a forklift - the brake booster on a motorhome or whatever...

You can't go wrong with a WIX filter, but I still prefer the Purolator PureONE - matter of fact Purolator filters in general!
Old 08-22-2008, 09:51 AM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Re: (TylerB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TylerB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This is why i use WIX filters </TD></TR></TABLE>
If anyone is looking for Wix filters, Napa sells them as their house brand.

I have customers looking for Wix filters all the time, so I figured I'd mention.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlackDeuceCoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">While the kerosene was draining, the customer would take a shop rag and shine the undercarriage of his car from bumper to bumper - oil pan, suspension, muffler - everything. Always looked like brand spanking new underneath - like it just came from the factory!</TD></TR></TABLE>
That makes me jealous. It's just a pain to get under there and clean. A lift would make it easier.