Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

changing z6 head to y8 head and compression also 9.2 to 9.8 hp difference?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing z6 head to y8 head and compression also 9.2 to 9.8 hp difference?

as u read , i have a y8 block with a z6 head but i didnt know i would lose compression. so know in putting my y8 back with a 2 layer head gasket, with my z6 head i had 9.286 compression and with my future y8 head i would have a 9.868 compression. will the diference be felt in power and would my vtec sound louder. now i hear my vtec but its not loud ,if i put a cold air intake would it sound louder when it kicks in,my ecu is set for 5000 rpm thanks.
Old 11-26-2004, 02:24 PM

n/a or turbo?

im not sure but i think the z6 head flows better
Old 11-26-2004, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Sanitary6Gen)

na will drive as daily driver.
Old 11-26-2004, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: changing z6 head to y8 head and compression also 9.2 to 9.8 hp difference? (roycivic92)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by roycivic92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">as u read , i have a y8 block with a z6 head but i didnt know i would lose compression. so know in putting my y8 back with a 2 layer head gasket, with my z6 head i had 9.286 compression and with my future y8 head i would have a 9.868 compression. will the diference be felt in power and would my vtec sound louder. now i hear my vtec but its not loud ,if i put a cold air intake would it sound louder when it kicks in,my ecu is set for 5000 rpm thanks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Keep the z6 head on! It flows alot better. Theres an article on http://www.sohchonda.com. Are you going turbo or N/A. If you are going boost, I would suggest that you keep your current setup. Its perfect for boost.

To answer your question, I did feel a drop in power when I put a z6 head on my y8, due to the lower compression, but its not that much of a loss. I would say its a gain, in the long end, because the better flow will help out with future mods.

Also, My vtec didn't get quieter than before.
Old 11-26-2004, 11:22 PM

Default Re: changing z6 head to y8 head and compression also 9.2 to 9.8 hp difference? (xtremeazian)

i doubt by any means the *** dyno will tell you much.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:46 AM

Default Re: changing z6 head to y8 head and compression also 9.2 to 9.8 hp difference? (Forward Motion)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Forward Motion &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i doubt by any means the *** dyno will tell you much. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ya, it hasn't had all its 'bugs' worked out yet.

Man, put the y8 head back on for now if your na. If and when you go boost...switch them yourself...just to **** around ....try and work your bugs out on the *** dyno yourself. <TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xtremeazian &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Keep the z6 head on! It flows alot better. Theres an article on http://www.sohchonda.com. Are you going turbo or N/A. If you are going boost, I would suggest that you keep your current setup. Its perfect for boost.

To answer your question, I did feel a drop in power when I put a z6 head on my y8, due to the lower compression, but its not that much of a loss. I would say its a gain, in the long end, because the better flow will help out with future mods.

Also, My vtec didn't get quieter than before. </TD></TR></TABLE>

It flows a lot better, but its a SOHC....so if you take a z6 and a y8, put a FI kit on...you will not see any huge diff between the two. they are basically the same hp, one has better flow,z6, other higher compression,y8,...........actually id probably want a y8 more because it would more than likely have less miles on it than a z6 would. (and and all)
Old 12-12-2004, 05:43 AM
Electrician

Default Re: changing z6 head to y8 head and compression also 9.2 to 9.8 hp difference? (roycivic92)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by roycivic92 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">as u read , i have a y8 block with a z6 head but i didnt know i would lose compression. so know in putting my y8 back with a 2 layer head gasket, with my z6 head i had 9.286 compression and with my future y8 head i would have a 9.868 compression. will the diference be felt in power and would my vtec sound louder. now i hear my vtec but its not loud ,if i put a cold air intake would it sound louder when it kicks in,my ecu is set for 5000 rpm thanks.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What the hell is it with people today "wanting to hear VTEC"? What's so special about it that you just HAVE TO hear?

Just tell VTEC to speak up.