Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

CEL while driving, solid CEL, tried different ecu's, car drives fine but solid CEL stays

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 08:46 PM
* B A N N E D *

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEL while driving, solid CEL, tried different ecu's, car drives fine but solid CEL stays

it all started today when i was driving my car

94 civic with JDM ITR motor, using ITR engine harness and Rywire OBD1->OBD2A conversion harness into stock JDM ITR ecu.

The CEL would come on EVERYTIME i drive, not instantly, but give it about 1-2 minutes, and it'll come on, when it comes on, car drives fine still, no hesitation, no bogging, no stalling, idle is fine, vtec crosses over fine, it's like the car doesn't have anything wrong

when i go to pull the code, the car throws a solid CEL, from which i read, usually means bad ECU, so i take out the jumper harness and JDM ITR ecu, and i throw in my stock JDM P30 ecu meant for my B16A

i also reset the ecu by removing the ECU fuse under the hood and leaving it out for 10 minutes, before putting it back in

i drive around the block, keeping the revs under 3000 rpm, and sure enough, the light comes back on, i pull over, turn the car off, check the code, and solid CEL once again.

now here's the trip
-it can't be a bad ecu, since both ecu's are GOOD and car drives perfectly
-i doubt it's wiring, the only thing i've done was tap A4 to D6 for the vtec pressure switch trick
-engine harness is stock, untouched
-chassis harness is stock, untouched

does anyone know what the culprit could be? i dont notice any power loss at all, it's just driving me nuts

and no i'm not going to mask the problem by pulling the light bulb or putting electrical tape on the car, i want to FIX the problem
Old 09-07-2007, 11:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: CEL while driving, solid CEL, tried different ecu's, car drives fine but solid CEL stays (n1_egs

u can perform the CEL while the car is running.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:22 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: CEL while driving, solid CEL, tried different ecu's, car drives fine but solid CEL stays (n1_egs

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crazyguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">u can perform the CEL while the car is running.</TD></TR></TABLE>

what do you mean?
Old 09-08-2007, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by n1_egsex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

what do you mean?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The trick in which to check what code its throwing, by watching its series of long and short blinks to determine it.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.jdmlyfestyle.com/ec...i.htm
see whats wrong and fix it?
Old 09-08-2007, 07:36 PM
* B A N N E D *

i know how to check codes, i know how to read for codes, the thing is, when i plug the service connector, the CEL is supposed to blink, but in this case, it stays solid and doesn't blink at all
Old 09-08-2007, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by n1_egsex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i know how to check codes, i know how to read for codes, the thing is, when i plug the service connector, the CEL is supposed to blink, but in this case, it stays solid and doesn't blink at all</TD></TR></TABLE>

strange, have you tried bringing it to a place that can plug into it and get a reading?