Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

CEL Flashing on the way to Massachusettes

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEL Flashing on the way to Massachusettes

I am currently at a hotel for the night after my fiancee and I had to stop on our way to Mass. from Savannah, Ga, about a 17 hour drive, because her car just started misfiring. The CEL began flashing and was losing power upon acceleration. I am in Milford Connecticut and still have 2 hours and 45 mins to go and don't think it will be good to drive. The car has never given us ANY trouble and is a 1997 Honda Civic Cx with only 90k. I am going to head over to an Autozone tomorrow morning and try and pinpoint it. Any known suggestions. I know its late, but alot of you guys are probably on. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-13-2010, 09:46 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: CEL Flashing on the way to Massachusettes

you are in the ball park, knowing it is a missfire. take it to the zone and scan it. find the cylinder and start with the simple stuff. look at plug wires and plugs. cap and rotor.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah man just sucks real bad. I left all my tools in Savannah. After a debate over whether to bring any tools or not. Of course I figure nothing will happen and here we go...
Old 03-13-2010, 09:59 PM
Mr. Badwrench

did it just start missing? there are other mechanical issues that could cause it, a burned valve being a classic, but if it just all of the sudden cropped up, do the water test on the plug wires and see if you can see the spark jump.

good luck with it man.
Old 03-13-2010, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boostedcivicsir
did it just start missing? there are other mechanical issues that could cause it, a burned valve being a classic, but if it just all of the sudden cropped up, do the water test on the plug wires and see if you can see the spark jump.

good luck with it man.
We hit this extremely horrible weather up here and than next thing ya know I'm going through D.C. and the thing starts missing. The CEL came on and road solid for awhile than flashed. Than it stopped. Just stayed solid. I drove on it about 100 miles after it flashed that time. Than the weather got too bad and I got paranoid about it and we pulled off. And yeah this is the first lick of trouble this car has ever given us. She drives it every day to work. Just never this far of a distance at once. Ugh. Thanks again for the reply!
Old 03-13-2010, 10:14 PM
Mr. Badwrench

if you are driving through the monsoon that we had in the north east this weekend, i would venture to say it is water intrusion, somewhere in the ign system. and wetness usually exploits plug wires. id start there.

no problem.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boostedcivicsir
if you are driving through the monsoon that we had in the north east this weekend, i would venture to say it is water intrusion, somewhere in the ign system. and wetness usually exploits plug wires. id start there.

no problem.
UPDATE! I was in fact driving through that monsoon. Went to the Zone this morning it was pouring so they didn't check the CEL. I bought plugs and wires. Went to a abandoned mechanic shop and pulled in one of the bays that was open. Reset light put plugs and wires in...VIOLA! Getting back on the road to BOSTON! Thanks man!
Old 03-14-2010, 06:18 AM
S_F
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're still having trouble when you get to MA give me a PM and you can use my tools to do the work you need.
Old 03-15-2010, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by S_F
If you're still having trouble when you get to MA give me a PM and you can use my tools to do the work you need.
That is awesome of you to offer man! We made it here yesterday and had no trouble other than this horrible weather! I think I might go ahead and grab a distributor cap and rotor just to be on the safe side. We should be covered as far as tools go, but if I need something I'll give ya a holler! Thanks man!