Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

I hit wood.

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I hit wood.

Today I was driving to the beach and a piece of wood was bouncing on the freeway and amazingly it decided it was going to bounce right under my car... Of course it made a loud bang, I didn't think to much of it until about a minute or so later I get a CEL. So i hop off the freeway to get a look under my car to see if i can see anything and I see two wires dangling from the bottom... a female & male connector. the side with that clips was obliterated.. atleast the casing.. But I managed to get them together again.. However CEL is still there.. I assume there could be more damage but I won't be able to check until morning now. I'm wondering what do the wires belong to? and if I do replace it will that make the CEL go away? The car was riding fine for a while, but on the way home it started feeling sluggish, as well when I was idle at a light, the rpm would dip down to almost 0 and feel like it was going to die... and finally when I did get to my city it started to stall. I read the CEL thread and plan on doing that, but I wanted to see what kind of information I could gather before hand, possibly fix it before resulting to that. Thanks in advance.

Picture of said wires:

edit: Car would stall when RPM would drop to stop or make a turn, not always but randomly. car is a 92 si w/ d16z6.

Modified by mogge at 7:59 PM 7/9/2008
Old 07-09-2008, 06:56 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those are O2 sensor wires. If you got them back together and they're making contact ... then they should be OK. You just need to clear the code by unhooking your battery or your ECU, or pulling the ECU fuse.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:02 PM
HT White Ops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Eran)

Beat me to it...

Probably busted up the connector (internally) too - getting whacked by lumber like that...

EDIT

Wait a minute!!!

About 3/4 of that connector shell is missing, no?

Modified by BlackDeuceCoupe at 8:08 PM 7/9/2008
Old 07-09-2008, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Eran)

i removed the terminal from the battery but that did not resolve it.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BlackDeuceCoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlackDeuceCoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Beat me to it...

Probably busted up the connector (internally) too - getting whacked by lumber like that...

EDIT

Wait a minute!

That connector is missing about 3/4 of the shell, no?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah it's missing 3/4 of the shell... Would replacing both sides be best or would one side be sufficient?
Old 07-09-2008, 07:11 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (mogge)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mogge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah it's missing 3/4 of the shell... Would replacing both sides be best or would one side be sufficient?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, if you can find them...

You're probably gonna have to visit a local import salvage yard and cut the connectors out of a wreck!

One side comes with the O2 sensor - so you could easily replace that - one way or another. However...

I *think* the other side is part of the wiring harness, sooo...
Old 07-09-2008, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlackDeuceCoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You're probably gonna have to visit a local import salvage yard and cut the connectors out of a wreck!</TD></TR></TABLE>
x2
Honda-Tech Member

i'll possibly try to just replace the o2... then if still no good, i'll hunt for the harness part.. think it'd be worth it to just have a honda dealer do it?
Honda-Tech Member

make sure u solder and shrink wrap those wires cause water can effect the way your ecu reads the o2 senser
Old 07-09-2008, 07:27 PM
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mogge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...think it'd be worth it to just have a honda dealer do it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, here's the way I look at it...

Time is money, and it would definitely be easier and quicker to take it to the dealer!

I guess it depends on how valuable your time is, you know?
Old 07-09-2008, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlackDeuceCoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah, if you can find them...

You're probably gonna have to visit a local import salvage yard and cut the connectors out of a wreck!

One side comes with the O2 sensor - so you could easily replace that - one way or another. However...

I *think* the other side is part of the wiring harness, sooo...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I don't believe there's any connectors for quite a bit - he'll need just a new end rather than trace it back to the nearest connector.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mogge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'll possibly try to just replace the o2... then if still no good, i'll hunt for the harness part.. think it'd be worth it to just have a honda dealer do it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's your best bet - except for having Honda do it.

It's a 10 minute job for both your O2 sensors - and I'm a retard when it comes to cars .

Just get a crescent - it screws into the catalytic converter and loosens with a wrench, you'll need a wrench to loosen it, then unscrew it with your fingers and unplug it - then plug the new one in, tuck the wiring back into the floor, and screw it back in, give it a snug tug with the wrench, reset the ECU, and you're good to go.

About the wires, the Honda OEM one has a rubber grommet on the wires (the grommet keeps water from getting into your car from the bottom, but allows the wires to pass through the center), an aftermarket OEM replacement O2 (like Denso) won't have that. A sure fix is to use cutters and just make a radius cut in the rubber grommet this way you can slide the wires of your new O2 into the center of the grommet and plug it back into the underside of the car - don't try feeding them out the side because vibration will cause them to they'll rub up against the sheet metal and cut open - then they'll ground out blowing your fuse which will kill your alternator charge, vehicle speed sensor, both O2 temp sensors, and a few other caveats.

PS: That will all make sense once you look under there.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'll take a look under in the morning, and decided what i want to do from there. thanks for the responses
Old 07-09-2008, 08:17 PM

thats not a rush job, you can do it whenever you get free time. car stalling and rpm fluctuations are definitely due to something else.

ps. make sure when you finish the job you secure the wires with zip ties to somewhere so this doesn't happen again.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MrXclusivE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MrXclusivE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thats not a rush job, you can do it whenever you get free time. car stalling and rpm fluctuations are definitely due to something else.

ps. make sure when you finish the job you secure the wires with zip ties to somewhere so this doesn't happen again.</TD></TR></TABLE>

could it be related to me hitting the wood? any idea what it could be? didn't start till today
Old 07-09-2008, 09:13 PM

check wires to your primary o2 sensor, check the plug and everything. the impact might have messed up that one too.

also check for any leaks or ruptures, check coolant and oil also. thats all i can think of
Old 07-10-2008, 05:53 AM

Default Re: (MrXclusivE)

Not sure if I missed something or not, but didn't the OP say this was a d16z6 in a 92 si? If that was the case, wouldn't he be running ODB1 and NOT have an O2 sensor in his cat? The wiring does look to be running that way though...

Also, OP, why haven't you pulled a code yet? It takes maybe 15 seconds to pulll out the plug, 5 seconds to bend a paperclip, and another 30 seconds to read the code... that's a whole lotta info in less than a minute

Any chance of an engine bay shot from where those wires run up too?

And final suggestion: It might sound strange but on my 92 CX, the TPS plug didnt' have the back-clip on it any more, so it was easy to pull off by hand. By a fluke accident or what, the TPS sensor came unplugged and the car started acting like a retard: sluggish, insanely low and sporadic idle and cutting out. Possibly check to see if that's still plugged in (right behind and to the left of the throttle-cable on the intake manifold)?
Old 07-10-2008, 06:18 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: (VTDr0p0ut)

The o2 sensor should be in the lower portion of the header itself, not the convertor.

Factory location is actually in the side of the exhuast manifold, but most aftermarket headers place it in the lower portion of the downpipe just before the convertor.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:36 AM

Default Re: I hit wood. (mogge)

Ahh.... then that makes sense.

OP: I think the lesson you should pull from this is you need to lower your car... a lip would have just brushed that lumber to the side
Old 07-10-2008, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTDr0p0ut &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ahh.... then that makes sense.

OP: I think the lesson you should pull from this is you need to lower your car... a lip would have just brushed that lumber to the side </TD></TR></TABLE>

convert my front end to a bulldozer

Edit: Alright, it does infact go to my o2... the cable the is obliterated is actually an o2 extender that came with the dc headers.. apparently the wood busted the connector as well as it smashed it against my header causing it to burn through... so if anything I need to find a new extension and possibly buy a new o2 sensor.

pictures for fun:

Modified by mogge at 11:42 AM 7/10/2008
Old 07-16-2008, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i got another extension wire but it's only 10.5 inches, basically it was to short, but i managed to get it connected, however it's basically hugging my transmission & it's real tight, no slack, I was wondering if my tranny will heat up to the point where it'll melt the wire, or will it cause any problems with it hugging it? I'm going to wait for a reply before i start my car and destroy the wire if the CEL remains i'll check what code it's throwing.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:06 PM

Default Re: (fatty6042)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fatty6042 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">make sure u solder and shrink wrap those wires cause water can effect the way your ecu reads the o2 senser</TD></TR></TABLE>

Definitely do this.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i have a replacement extension wire, so the wires aren't exposed anymore.. but i'm wondering if the wires aren't safe resting against the tranny, didn't want this wire to get melted away.

EDIT: started my car anyways CEL is gone :]~

Modified by mogge at 9:30 PM 7/16/2008