Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

CEL code P0133

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CEL code P0133

Hey guys,

I'm in a bit of a dilemma here. This code wouldn't go away. Car is 1999 civic sir(em1) and my setup is CAI, aftermarket cat-back, stock header and cat.

I've been looking at similar threads but there wasn't really any conclusions on previous threads.

Anyways, I first encountered this CEL when I had my edelbrock del sol header a month ago. I had an exhaust leak because down pipe doesn't match stock cat inlet.

Got fed up with it and went back stock header and bought a new denso o2 sensor as my emissions testing was coming up. Reseted the ecu, drove around, got to the testing center and surprisingly I passed with very good readings. I thought everything is fine but the CEL showed up again at night while I was driving.

I still think I have an exhaust leak because there's a gap between the stock header outlet and cat inlet. I don't know if there's suppose to be a gap there with the stock setup. Is there suppose to be a gasket in between? Or just having an O-ring there is fine.

One more thing to mention is this code seems to always show up at night!

Sorry for the long write-up, but if you guys have any suggestions that would be great.

Thanks! =D
Old 08-14-2007, 02:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the same code in my em1, after I put in the whale ***** intake, it showed up. I put the stock intake back on, and it still shows up with new o2 sensor. This code is the gayess code on the obd2. If there's a gap where you say it is, probably the wrong amount of air is going thru it. My setup is stock and its bolted all the way thru
Old 08-14-2007, 10:19 PM

Default Re: (vancoland)

Well I'll post up some pics of the connection between the header and cat asap.

Do you drive it while u have the code? Is it bad to drive it while u have the CEL?

Anyone help!
Old 08-14-2007, 10:52 PM

Default Re: (Jawlz)

pics
http://i32.photobucket.com/alb...5.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/alb...4.jpg
Old 08-15-2007, 02:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it looks to me like you're missing a gasket. Do you know if the cat was ever taken off? I don't know if that's the problem but getting a new gasket from honda couldn't hurt. If the o2 sensor is really messed up, it could create a wrong air to fuel mixture and cause your engine to run too lean or too rich. Since you got a new o2 sensor and it still pops up the code, then I don't see anything wrong with it. This p0133 is really a bullshit code in my opinion, and many people with obd2 ecu's have had problems with it.

If you don't find a solution to this problem, just roll with it. A slow response to the o2 isn't really a big deal, but if you want to be safe, take it to the shop to diagnose. If you're worried but don't consider this thing a big deal, then about a month later, pull your spark plugs and check if they are running too lean or rich. Mine were perfect to give you perspective...and this is 2 years after my last change of spark plugs
Old 08-15-2007, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: CEL code P0133 (Jawlz)

Don't waste time trying to get that code to disappear. For the last two years (before I decided to go boost) I've dealt with the very same issue!! Get a step down computer and harness and call it a day!!

I've been through 3 different o2 sensors (from cheap to oem), 2 cat. converters, and dozens of ecu resets all because I hate to see a check engine light on my dash!!

Get the step down harness and a obd1 computer chipped and your car will run better and also have no codes!!
Old 08-15-2007, 01:58 PM

Default Re: CEL code P0133 (hondamonkey)

damn this sucks.

hey vancoland, looking at the stock exhaust system( http://www.slhondaparts.com/br...=true ), it only has an o ring(#20) and no other gasket.

I went back to short ram and reseted my ecu, hopefully this fixes it. If not, I'll get it diagnose.

Does Honda cover a faulty ecu? There's a service bulletin for this code.

Thanks!
Old 08-15-2007, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes, that's the gasket you need. On my complete service manual, thats what it says. I don't think the short ram will help you much with the code, password jdm intake was also a short ram, then bam, it popped up the code, i switched back to stock and it still ran that code.

If I were you, I'd do what hondamonkey did, get a chipped obd1 and that ghost harness or whatever its called (theres plenty of how to's on this site to do it). Most likely, taking the car to honda will prompt them to charge you for a new cat ($700+). It would be way cheaper to get a chipped obd1 ecu and put it in your car and never have that code pop up again.

For me, I never mind that code, because I checked my whole car out when it ran that code and read many posts about people having this same problem. My car is still running perfect. But I'm definately considering the route hondamonkey took after I finish school and want to sell the car.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:33 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: CEL code P0133 (Jawlz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jawlz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I still think I have an exhaust leak because there's a gap between the stock header outlet and cat inlet. I don't know if there's suppose to be a gap there with the stock setup. Is there suppose to be a gasket in between? Or just having an O-ring there is fine.</TD></TR></TABLE>
There is supposed to be a donut gasket in between the A-pipe and the cat - part number 18229-S01-X11.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:28 AM

Default Re: CEL code P0133 (Targa250R)

Yea that gasket, that's the only one I have. The connection seems to be fine, before the stock header I could totally hear an exhaust leak, but when I got my stock header put on, I couldn't hear anymore leaks.

Well it's been 2 days since I went back to short ram and code still hasn't pop up, hopefully it won't, but well c.

Anymore suggestions welcome!

Thanks!