Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

catch can question

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 02:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default catch can question

ive been searching for a few hours and cant seem to find anything on this i have a 96 civic with a b18b1 ls vtec turbo pushing 13 lbs at the moment. it has a mishmoto catch can with one line on the vent on the valve cover and the other one is not hooked up. ive put about 5k miles on it and there is no oil in the can my mechanic friend says thats a good thing but im worried hes wrong because alot of stuff ive read people that install these fill up quite quick and since my tune isnt spot on since i get alot of fuel in the oil id figure is should have some in it. i daily drive it in a small town so it dosent see alot of high rpms under 4k and 0 and neg boost on the gauge and i only run it hard when i race someone. ive poured alot of money in this since i got it and i just want to make it last as long as it can. thanks for any help
Old 09-02-2017, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: catch can question

Pictures please?

The stock pcv is made to work under specific conditions. The top valve being under positive pressure pushing down the rings (this can change at full throttle but that is a story for another day). The bottom valve being under vacuum and drawing out the blowby. Now that your turbo w/ a breather you have changed everything and have no vaccume / intake pressure to pull these vapors and rely solely on the blow by pushing those gases out. Which contaminates the oil and requires more frequent oil changes to prevent wear.

One option is you can simulate vacuum by plugging your pcv line into a slashcut in the exhaust to draw out vapors. Or add ports to valve cover to help increase airflow and run all lines to your catch can
Old 09-02-2017, 04:28 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Or just delete the pcv and reroute the line to your other catchcan port instead of going to the intake.

If its still going to the intake then the blow by could be going that route instead and getting burnt. Under boost the pcv will be forced closed and you would have very high crankcase pressure. The one line to the catchcan may not be venting enough.

Once off boost the pcv would open and the crankcase pressure would vent back into the intake and burn the oil vapor out the exhaust.

Does your catchcan have a filter venting to atmosphere?

At 13psi I get a couple ounces of oil out of my catchcan every 100 miles or so when I drain it. This is with the pcv port blocked off and two vent lines from the valve cover to the can.
Old 09-02-2017, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

From what i understand he has the valve cover port to his catch can, and the other port bare. There is no PCV valve anymore.

If this is the case his can is doing next to nothing.
Old 09-02-2017, 06:38 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

OP, Head to the forced induction FAQs.. There are 4 threads regarding several prior ways to hook up the catch can to run well.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok thanks for the imput everyone. i have read alot of the FAQs on forced induction TheShodan and thats why i posted this because i figured it wasent working since its empty and not hooked up like most people do
Old 09-04-2017, 06:18 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by donaldb128
ok thanks for the imput everyone. i have read alot of the FAQs on forced induction TheShodan and thats why i posted this because i figured it wasent working since its empty and not hooked up like most people do
not all do that.. Some also drain back, and are not completely collected in the can, or showing any blow by.

I personally never liked the exhaust scavenger approach . I find it risky and unnecessary. Save with the valve cover -10AN approach either.that's for drag racers that have to follow certain rules inn their class . But there are other ways. It all depends upon the equipment used/selected.