Notices

OK so still having oil consumption. Please read and help diagnose wtf is going on :)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 08:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK so still having oil consumption. Please read and help diagnose wtf is going on :)

Ok well i think im getting blow by, either that or a bad valve seal.

Reason:

My breather filter on the valve cover is slowely turning greyish black, and im losing oil when i get on it. So here is my question.

So what are the chances the my rings are gone being that the motor was stock? I have never heard of a stock motor (d16y8 btw) having the rings go.

Also some more info that might help you all diagnose this prob is that I only lose oil in the HIGH rpms while getting on it. I drove all week with no boost and lost little to no oil. Got on it once to see if im losing oil and I am. So what do you all think is going on? Seems liek I fix one problem just to go to another.

Also one more question about the PCV valve. I have heard it can cuase my above probs if it is clogged. So here are my questions. I plan on just venting the line to the atmospehere. I heard it helps relieve pressure and reduce the chances for the ringlands to take a hike. So if I do the dump to the atm. do i need a new valve, or (if the valve is the prob) would i still burn oil whether i was dumping back to the IM or the atm.

I hope that made sense. TIA

Modified by Civicman86 at 9:44 PM 4/20/2005
Old 04-20-2005, 08:58 PM

Default Re: OK so still having oil consumption. Please read and help diagnose wtf is going on :) (Civicman8

The PCV setup is almost always overlooked and forgotten however not venting the crancase is the reason so many honda ringlands get fucked up!! there are several ways to rout the pcv, what i did is take the valve pcv out COMPLETELY and replace with a regular 90* elbo. I connected a hose to that and routed it to a oil catch can then came off the can with another hose that conected to a pre turbo intake source, between the turbo filter and the inlet. The breather u can fit with a lil filter like u always see. This way when the turbo spools it creates a slight vaccume and will pull air out of the crankcase...more as the turbo spools more, the oil vapor will be separated from the air by the catch can. http://www.beesandgoats.com/bo...ifold <Scroll down till you see about the PCV its a ways down and has diagrams and ****.

*oh and by the way the filter as long as its not spraying oil erywhere and smoking its aight its going to have some oil on it as the vapor builds up over time dont worry bout it i have to clean mine all the time*
Old 04-21-2005, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OK so still having oil consumption. Please read and help diagnose wtf is going on :) (Civicman8

Anyone else have any ideas. Im going to try to PCV valve this weekend and see if that fixes her. Are their any other sympotoms if it where the rings? Would I lose oil all the time if it where the rings?
Old 04-21-2005, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i think your car hates you. my 10 cent guess is either PCV system or a valve seal.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:11 AM

the rings is tough to tell unless its obvious...compression test may or may not tell u but its the best bet. If your not smoking liek crazy then ur aight, have you switched to synthetic after putting the turbo on? i burn oil along with alot of other turbo hondas no big deal. Hows power? does it feel or act strange..or is it just the consuming some oil?
Old 04-21-2005, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

on a cold start if it smokes its the valve seals, if its warmed up and it smokes its either the rings or the turbo.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:42 AM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Civicman86 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So what are the chances the my rings are gone being that the motor was stock? I have never heard of a stock motor (d16y8 btw) having the rings go.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Uhh yeah because stock D series are so strong right? Where have you been - under a rock? Ring lands are very easy to crack on stock cast pistons. They can crack from slight detonation, too much pressure or heat. When they crack you will get lots of blow-by and oil consumption. And the ringer is, cracked ring lands may not show up in a compression/leakdown test. Honda ring lands are probably the weakest link in a boosted stock motor. Enjoy
Old 04-21-2005, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

once you start burning oil its too late no way to fix it unless you pull the pistons out, you can run up to 15 psi on a stock pcv system but wouldnt recomend it, if there is oil getting into the engine thats another way to crack ringlands.
Old 04-21-2005, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

he's been boosted for 1 week and had this oil consumption issue before he put the turbo kit on last week.

his compression tests have always been perfect with it sitting around 210 on all 4.
Old 04-21-2005, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Muckman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Uhh yeah because stock D series are so strong right? Where have you been - under a rock? </TD></TR></TABLE>

You show me any stock NA car that has fuked up ringlands and I might beleive you. Im sure with honda R&D a stock motor with NO boost will not blow ring lands. I have only had a turbo on my car for one week and only boosted once. Either way like seen4ever said this has been going on beofore I was even turbocharged.

There is no smoke on start ups only when i really get on it in the high rpms. even just going to a high rpm in vac doesnt blow smoke (well enough to see). Only when full load high rpms.
Im thinking its the PCV valve so I guess I will try that first, seeing as it is cheap also.