Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

carb can... EK question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default carb can... EK question.

hey guys i have a b20 in my EG right now...and i'm gonna drop it into my EK hatch...96 DX...i think it's a DX.
well the EG has a nipple on the carb can and the EK doesn't, the nipple on the EG connects to the sensor that is mounted on the intake manifold... and from the sensor it goes to the intake manifold...now when i drop it into the EK where will i plug in the hose that wen to the cab can??

if my question is not making sense let me know and I'll try to get pictures.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: carb can... EK question. (Dead CIVIC)

I don't know what a "carb can" is unless you're referring to the charcoal canister. It's the black plastic cylinder down near the battery.

You have your information a little mixed up I think. On an EG and just about every OBD1 Honda I've looked at, the canister has 3 vacuum lines on top. OBD2 cars have two. They share two lines, one says "PCV" meaning "purge control valve" and the other says "tank" meaning the hard line to the fuel tank. On the OBD1, the 3rd vacuum lines goes to the top of the throttle body. OBD2 throttle bodies lack this vacuum port.

On OBD1 cars, the PCV line goes inline to the little PCV behind the intake manifold which has another vacuum line connected to a vacuum port on the intake manifold (which the JDM motors lack). OBD2 SOHC's have a larger PCV between the fuel injectors.

Do not confuse "PCV" in this case to the postive crankcase valve which is the little plastic tube with a ball in it.

So if you're using an OBD2 throttle body in an OBD1 chassis, you'll want to get an OBD2 charcoal canister. Either EK or DC civic will fit perfectly, but the DC is a little bigger capacity.

Incidentally, CA smog law just changed so now they are testing the charcoal canister. If your canister is bad and you replace it, your gas mileage will go up significantly, and the amount of pollution you create will also go way down. Luckily, brand new canisters are less than $30 from the dealership.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: carb can... EK question. (baller status)

yeah you refered to everything i asked thanks...
but now that i'm putting the b20 ito the ek where will the line go to if not to charcoal cnister?
Old 01-25-2008, 04:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why do you care, a B20 wont pass BAR/Smog, so just take the charcoal canaster out and block up the vac ports.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: carb can... EK question. (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why do you care, a B20 wont pass BAR/Smog, so just take the charcoal canaster out and block up the vac ports. </TD></TR></TABLE>

X20, its considered a light truck motor by CA standards, and you will fail Smog test's.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:42 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: carb can... EK question. (97Ej6mike)

yep you can put a new motor in a old car
but you cant put a old motor in a new car.
here in NC anything below a '95 you dont have to pass anything.
when i had the teg the exhaust was rusting out so i just cut off the exhaust about a foot behind catalytic converter it sounded like a loud wet fart but i was still able to get it inspected.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: carb can... EK question. (jdmisoverrated)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why do you care, a B20 wont pass BAR/Smog, so just take the charcoal canaster out and block up the vac ports. </TD></TR></TABLE>
yeah i know it's a light truck motor...but i had it just unpluged on my EG for a while i noticed that it would effect the performance of the motor... it i plug it up will it not.?
Old 01-25-2008, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You are the first person ever to say that the charcoal canaster gave you performance. Do you know what it does?
Old 01-25-2008, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: carb can... EK question. (baller status)

Hey Baller, Just to clear up this
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by baller status &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Incidentally, CA smog law just changed so now they are testing the charcoal canister. If your canister is bad and you replace it, your gas mileage will go up significantly, and the amount of pollution you create will also go way down. Luckily, brand new canisters are less than $30 from the dealership.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Only 95 and older cars are getting this test it is called lpfet for low pressure fuel evaporative test. We push 1/2 a lb of pressure into the tank and we pinch off the line from the tank to the carbon cannister.

Also this cannister will not change your performance at all. The ECU waits until you are at a cruising speed and then opens the purge control valve to purge the vapors that are in the cannister. You do get a slight increase from the vapors running through the motor, But not enough to tell at all.

And also to add in CA you can not put a truck motor in a car doesn't matter any year. You can not bar it so like was said...Pull the line from the IM and plug it, however leave the solenoid plugged in electrically so you don't get any CEL's
Old 01-25-2008, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You are the first person ever to say that the charcoal canaster gave you performance. Do you know what it does? </TD></TR></TABLE>
welli looked under today i saw that it led nowhere. that's funny.

well this is all interesting to me.
any info is cool let me know. do i just plug up the nipple
Old 01-25-2008, 10:31 PM

thats not what he is saying. if that canister being plugged into your engine via vacuum and EVAP LINES is causing a problem as far as strange performance problems then you have a leak in your evap system. normally this problem would occur at highway speeds because yourevap system is open to engine vacuum i believe at speeds over 30mph on most honda models. normally on a 98 and up if this were the case you would have an MIL. I say 98 because 96 and 97 OBDII did not comply with EVAP requirements as far as computerized self monitoring goes. just a little secret that nobody knows about