Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car still not running well

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car still not running well

I have had many problem with my car. Mostly misfire problems, i have all new ignition, new fuel filter and O2 sensor, and it continues to miss very irradically, and inconsistantly. Itll run for for a while then fall on its face and misfire and backfire. any ideas?
Old 08-09-2007, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Car still not running well (bkmc24)

By ignition I'm guessing you mean distributor/wires/sparkplugs right? I know my car had HORRIBLE misfires due to bad 2 month old spark plug wires. When I'd accelerate, I'd sputter so badly that it sounded like someone firing a pistol. Most of my sound came from the intake. Nobody could figure out what my problem was and had me change a crap load of different things. Everyone ignored the wires because I told them I had just changed them. I even bought another ECU because many suggested that my ECU could be failing. I now have two 5 speed P06 ECUs. One just sitting in my closet.

The cause for my bad wires? The damn dio-electric grease stuff they URGE you buy at your local autoparts store.

The first time I had sputtering/misfires was due to a rusted/worn distributor cap/rotor.

Do your misfires occur during heavy acceleration or light acceleration? Are you able to rev up the engine (while in neutral) lightly with no problems?
Old 08-09-2007, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car still not running well (sageuvagony)

Wires plugs cap rotor coil ignition module all new. It misses at idle, light accel, heavy. just always. Sometimes itll idle for a sec, miss once or twice and die out. The noise is tons of popping up by the engine, possibly like in the dp. IDK, i was thinking either injectors, fuel pump, ECM or VSS. but would the vss mess that up? i know my tach has been actin CRAZY and like works sporatically, but not according to how the engine RPMS are going. Could that be a problem?
Old 08-09-2007, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I could drive my car without my VSS being connected and it wouldn't cause that issue. It's not the VSS. Misfires could also happen because of some components shorting out. Your fuel pressure regulator or fuel pump could cause problems but I don't know that they would cause misfires/popping. With my wires, the popping was horrible. No check engine lights or anything? If possible, try another ECU if you can, but I wouldn't recommend just buying one like I did. See if any friends with hondas can help.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So im going to go with injectors as first guess, fuel pump 2nd and ecm last i suppose. I also have a new coolant temp sensor.

ONe question is that if the ECM died, would the car just not run at all? Since like it could send right commands and everything itd turn over but nothin? And also if my fuel pump was bad, wouldnt it lso make the car not start?
Old 08-09-2007, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well the ECM is the brain of the car. If a human brain has problems, we don't all just die, we just act differently. Sometimes not in a way that we like. ECM's have a way of slowly dying. It'd be nice if the ECM would just DIE if ANYTHING became wrong with it, but it's possible for it to run even with problems.

The ECM won't always tell you what's wrong. I could have a brain disease and not know it.

Injectors usually die individually. I don't think one bad injector could cause the car to stall or die out. If I idle my car and unplug any single injector, the car still idles. It's just very shaky.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Makes sense, now how easy is it going to be to find a VX ECM?
Old 08-09-2007, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Injectors usually die individually. I don't think one bad injector could cause the car to stall or die out. If I idle my car and unplug any single injector, the car still idles. It's just very shaky.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bkmc24 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Makes sense, now how easy is it going to be to find a VX ECM?</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's all dependent on how much effort you put into the search And you just had to have a VX didn't you?
Old 08-09-2007, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol well i didnt HAVE to have it, well the car i did, but i had no clue on what a VX involved till i read after i got it.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bkmc24 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol well i didnt HAVE to have it, well the car i did, but i had no clue on what a VX involved till i read after i got it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm just messin wit ya Only makes things a lil harder thats all lol. I'd ask but I'm sure you'll say no. Know any friends with a VX? Or you could always check the Honda-tech marketplace or even ebay. If problem is still there, sell the ECM

http://cgi.ebay.com/Honda-Civi...wItem

There's one. Although mine only costs around 50 bucks (P06), you have a car not everyone has.. I'm not even sure if VX's have a completely different ECM. I'm searching right now to see what type you have.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Vx's have different EVERYthing almost lol. Thanks for all of the help tho. and no im the only one i know with a VX, everyone i know has the CX model
Old 08-09-2007, 11:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This may help but very little. Many times (but not always) if the ECM fails you'll notice a blown transistor or blown/burt anything. If you could, open up the ECM and see if it smells like burnt anything. If it doesn't smell it doesn't mean it's not bad, but if it DOES smell, you might know what the problem is. Have to eliminate one thing at a time without spending tons (or if any) money. Here's a post I found about what a bad ecu could do.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slowcivic2k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A faulty PCM will do all kinds of random crazy stuff, just about any problem a car could have would happen because of this, but very randomly. Expect random multiple CEL's for no reason, poor fuel mileage/misfire/knock (if the car runs at all). You could also have a fire in there. But most of today's PCM's have no reason to fail, that was a long time ago and electronics are much better but not perfect. When you mess with them is when you risk trouble.

If you burned up some transistors in there it would smell aweful, like burned electronics do.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 08-10-2007, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the help!
Old 08-10-2007, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

did you get a whole new disty or did you just rebiuld yours? if you just put new parts in your old one it might be the crank posioton sensor. there are 2 sensor in the botom of the disty that you cant get to and it could be when it gets hot one fails.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car still not running well (Solster)

Okay well today took apart some stuff, ECU is fine, smells so fresh and so clean clean. Did notice that my car will start right up but once it gets warm is when all the fun happens. Any ideas?