Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Car Freeze ~~ Help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Car Freeze ~~ Help?

Yeah so I'm having this issue with my car.

It went down to about 6 degrees last night with windchill was like -5ºF

So like, yeah, it was cold 'n windy and ****.

So like, I go out to my car around midnight last night to go for a lil ride and there's the typical amount of snow on it, g2 punch the doors and **** because the piece of crap handle feels like it's going to snap off and they were frozen solid. Ya, so you get it. It's cold, ****'s frozen.

So I start it up, yada yada, let it warm up while I de-ice the outsides, then I get it and realize I still can't see **** - it took a bit to realize that the INSIDE of the car windows were frozen solid as well. As in I had to brush snow and ice off the inside.

I forgot about this, it only happened with my probe, the other 5 cars I've owned didn't have this issue. I thought it was in the probe because the windows didn't have a top frame on the door (the window sealed up against the chassis) but obviously that's not the case on the Civic. What can I defend against this crap?

I've only found this in crap paneled cars I've owned. I mean I'm not gonna lie, the civic isn't exactly a master of engineering in body style.

Out of the 7 cars I've owned, this and my Ford Probe were the only two cars that pulled this ****. I don't know how to protect against it as I've usually driven cars that were better built.

Now with that said, please don't try to give me advice if you live in Cali and the coldest weather you've ever been in is 40ºF and that's "Freezing."

I need like, real answers from people who have actually owned civics in the cold before.

From what I can tell there's nothing you can do because it's simply the quality of the build.

Anybody have any advice is welcome, regardless of where you're from.
Old 01-26-2007, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car Freeze ~~ Help? (Syndacate)

I get this from time to time with my Sol, but it's usually from two sources:

1) "Warm" (read: just above freezing) outside, I leave a window cracked by mistake, and the weather decides to deep freeze for the night.

2) "Warm" outside, but I've trailed a bunch of snow into the car the past few days. The heater melts all the snow, the wet carpet moistens the interior air, the weather keeps it liquid, and then the weather goes into the deep freeze overnight.

Basically the only time I've seen it, it's because a lot of moisture got trapped into the car, either from exterior or interior sources. I've lived up in the rust belt my whole life, I can't think of a single car I haven't seen this on from time to time in the winter, and I generally chalk it up to either of these two sources.

Basically the air inside the car has to be "warm" and humid, the windows always get cold first, cold windows attract condensation, which turns into frost/ice when the condensation freezes.

Generally I just try and air the hell out of the car when it's reasonably warm outside and try not to trail a bunch of snow into the car. But when I get lazy/in a hurry and trail in a bunch of snow, eventually this bites me and I start knocking the snow off my shoes before stepping into the car...
Old 01-26-2007, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car Freeze ~~ Help? (MonkeyBoy668)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MonkeyBoy668 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I get this from time to time with my Sol, but it's usually from two sources:

1) "Warm" (read: just above freezing) outside, I leave a window cracked by mistake, and the weather decides to deep freeze for the night.

2) "Warm" outside, but I've trailed a bunch of snow into the car the past few days. The heater melts all the snow, the wet carpet moistens the interior air, the weather keeps it liquid, and then the weather goes into the deep freeze overnight.

Basically the only time I've seen it, it's because a lot of moisture got trapped into the car, either from exterior or interior sources. I've lived up in the rust belt my whole life, I can't think of a single car I haven't seen this on from time to time in the winter, and I generally chalk it up to either of these two sources.

Basically the air inside the car has to be "warm" and humid, the windows always get cold first, cold windows attract condensation, which turns into frost/ice when the condensation freezes.

Generally I just try and air the hell out of the car when it's reasonably warm outside and try not to trail a bunch of snow into the car. But when I get lazy/in a hurry and trail in a bunch of snow, eventually this bites me and I start knocking the snow off my shoes before stepping into the car...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know why it happens.

This hasn't happened in 5 other cars I've owned - it only happens in this one and the probe.

I know the heater system is better in my GTI but I find it hard to believe that it ignores chemistry.

Same goes for my camaro, that was a '67, you know how old that system was?

The only thing I can think of is baking it with the window opened then trying not to get water in it as much as I can - though it's not like A) That's possible, or B) It's possible to keep the moisture out because the car isn't water tight.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Clean your windows REALLY well and use anti-fog.
I also suggest leaving a window open a tiny bit, during the next sunny day, so the moist air can exit.
Its because the car is tight that youre getting trapped moisture.

I know just what youre talking about and deal with it right when it starts to get cold... Then I do what I just mentioned and problem solved.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

Howcome this **** never happens to any of my German cars? Or my old Camaro?

Old 01-26-2007, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (Syndacate)

1 Make sure that you don't breath too hard, the condensation will lay on your windshield and it will freeze.

2 Make sure the HVAC is not on recycle (where it picks up air from the inside of the car)

3 The best thing you can do is to crack your window open until the car is warm

you think -6 is cold? Its going to be -40 here tomorrow night.....i dont even know if my car will start
Old 01-27-2007, 05:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Howcome this **** never happens to any of my German cars? Or my old Camaro?</TD></TR></TABLE>
They probably vented more. Did they fog up in the spring/fall? Probably not.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I always start my car, turn the defroster on hot, regardless of whether the car is warm or not (obviously in this circumstance it isn't) and make sure (as deadend said) that the hvac is on fresh, and then go brush snow and scrape windows.

Anyhow, purpose of my post is to let you know that I tried that rain-x anti-fog and had a HORRIBLE experience. Not something I can recommend.
Old 01-27-2007, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I use rain-x antifog during the winter and wet months, always with good results.
You have to have very clean windows and you have to buff it completely dry...
Old 01-27-2007, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What's this HVAC deal?

You mean the damn vent buttons next to where the AC button would be?

That supposed to be open or closed on cold weather - because open would allow moisture to escape but allow more to get in - closed will do the opposite.

Kind of a paradox.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dr92cx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I always start my car, turn the defroster on hot, regardless of whether the car is warm or not (obviously in this circumstance it isn't) and make sure (as deadend said) that the hvac is on fresh, and then go brush snow and scrape windows.

Anyhow, purpose of my post is to let you know that I tried that rain-x anti-fog and had a HORRIBLE experience. Not something I can recommend.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, I lived in upstate NY my whole life, I never really thought about this issue as I thought it was because the probe's windows didn't have a top bar (they sealed directly to the frame when you shut the door) and it simply wasn't tight enough. That's what I do too, turn the defrosters on, and wipe the snow off.

Though 2 days ago it was "turn the defrosters/heat on, wipe the snow off....why can't I see anything when the windows are perfectly clean?"

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DeadEnd9009 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1 Make sure that you don't breath too hard, the condensation will lay on your windshield and it will freeze.

2 Make sure the HVAC is not on recycle (where it picks up air from the inside of the car)

3 The best thing you can do is to crack your window open until the car is warm

you think -6 is cold? Its going to be -40 here tomorrow night.....i dont even know if my car will start</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well if it's going to be anything like my civic - it will ABSOLUTELY NOT start. My civic's having a hard time turning over - but the battery was weak before winter so it's kind of a nulled effect.

-6 is cold for me, yes. Not like californians where they're like "IT'S 58 DEGREES, I CAN'T TAKE THIS ****", but it's still a bit on the nipply side.

I still wear shorts and a t-shirt but never-the-less, cold is cold. Though generally where it's -40 degrees they have electric block warmers at all hosues/motels/hotels, you name it...and you don't?

I mean ****, where it's -40 degrees out truckers don't even shut off their trucks because they know they won't start again. They leave 'em running all night with the lil idle prop deal thing going on. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

As far as rain-x goes, people either love it, or they hate it. I've never heard a "decent" job about it. Either think it's the best **** since sliced bread, or a complete waste of time and money. My friend claims that it has to do with how hard you rub it in, if you spend like an 20 solid minutes doing it the first time, then it'll work good. He's also a stoner.

It's mad nice today, as in above freezing. Think I'ma drive around and try to bake it out with the windows open. Though when I park it, what should I do, leave it open a crack at the risk of snow getting in there, or close it and hope all the moisture is out.

'Cause I'm sure any of you who live in cold climates know that there's physically no way to get inside the car without tracking some snow in.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:01 AM

Alright i live in Canada in Saskatchewan, its the ****** prairies and it doesn't get much colder. I could even get into my car today. Now the issue you are having is that your lock mechanism and door seal have become wet or have taken in some moisture which could of even happened in a heated wash bay. Your best bet is to just pull it into a heated parkade or if your friend has a heated garage and let it thaw out evaporate otherwise your going to have to wait til it warms up because its not worth ripping the door handle or weather stripping right off. best of luck

btw it was minus 51C* today
Old 01-27-2007, 10:11 AM

up in MN my gas door froze shut, I effing dented it trying to get it open, no luck....I almost took a lighter to the door haha.

My civic does the same thing. How come it was so cold for you yesterday? here in MN it was almost 40's! today its back to like 3*f. And im scared to start my car.

Funny thing about this post is that im doing a project which involves sealing my car.

My windows dont seal up properly, drivers side fell off the track. Also i have holes in the chassis i wanna seal up. Im going to see if this makes a difference. If only i had a heated garage i could seal my car up, then drive it outside and see how bad it foggs up. Yes when its this cold out my windows freeze shut.

I almost want to seal my whole engine bay too, because the sound it makes when it 1st starts in this cold weather makes me scared. VERY scared! Almost like my oil has frozen over.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:14 AM

Default Re: (vtec4lyfe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtec4lyfe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
btw it was minus 51C* today</TD></TR></TABLE>

im not sure if you guys have different conversions, but -51*c, isnt that colder than space?
Old 01-27-2007, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (YoungKadafi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by YoungKadafi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

im not sure if you guys have different conversions, but -51*c, isnt that colder than space? </TD></TR></TABLE>

No, negative numbers don't progress in the same fashion as positive numbers.

As like 51 deg C is way over 100, -51 deg C, is about -51 deg F (give or take some).

EDIT:
Space doesn't have a temperature due to the vacuum as it's a lack of air, though if comparable with what we would actually call temperature it has around 5-10K when not in direct sunlight.

In case you don't know, K stands for Kelvin which is used for marking absolute zero (the temperature at which hell freezes over (particles stop moving))

That's about -265ºC, -273ºC is 0º Kelvin which is absolute zero which has never been reached though believed when it has can keep an atom's particles from moving .

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speaking of frozen particles, my car is one big 1.5 ton frozen particle .
Old 01-27-2007, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (vtec4lyfe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtec4lyfe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Alright i live in Canada in Saskatchewan, its the ****** prairies and it doesn't get much colder. I could even get into my car today. Now the issue you are having is that your lock mechanism and door seal have become wet or have taken in some moisture which could of even happened in a heated wash bay. Your best bet is to just pull it into a heated parkade or if your friend has a heated garage and let it thaw out evaporate otherwise your going to have to wait til it warms up because its not worth ripping the door handle or weather stripping right off. best of luck

btw it was minus 51C* today</TD></TR></TABLE>

If I had a heated garage this wouldn't be a problem.

It's like a 10 minute walk to my car (college).

Old 01-27-2007, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No, negative numbers don't progress in the same fashion as positive numbers.

As like 51 deg C is way over 100, -51 deg C, is about -51 deg F (give or take some).

EDIT:
Space doesn't have a temperature due to the vacuum as it's a lack of air, though if comparable with what we would actually call temperature it has around 5-10K when not in direct sunlight.

In case you don't know, K stands for Kelvin which is used for marking absolute zero (the temperature at which hell freezes over (particles stop moving))

That's about -265ºC, -273ºC is 0º Kelvin which is absolute zero which has never been reached though believed when it has can keep an atom's particles from moving .

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Speaking of frozen particles, my car is one big 1.5 ton frozen particle .</TD></TR></TABLE>

-51*c = -59*f
Lack of 0 kelvin, due to background radiation ftw
Old 01-27-2007, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pdiggitydogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I use rain-x antifog during the winter and wet months, always with good results.
You have to have very clean windows and you have to buff it completely dry...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Therein may lie my mistake.

I've used regular rain-x on the outside, and it's the ****. Don't even need wipers unless monsoon season sets in on Wisconsin.

But the anti-fog, the stuff you put inside, I tried that, and the fog beaded up a little bit, but mostly what I got was bigger drops all over the inside of my windshield. Keep in mind, though, that this was on my first car, an 85 civic hatch, and I was in college at the time I used it, and didn't take much time for anything but drinking.

Incidentally, I was deliberately trying to kill that car. It had 190k on it. I didn't change the oil for the last 24,000 miles I had it. The bitch started first time, every day.

Hondas FTW
Old 01-27-2007, 01:38 PM

true about the kelvin, i was mixing those up.

Old 01-27-2007, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (YoungKadafi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pdiggitydogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

-51*c = -59*f
Lack of 0 kelvin, due to background radiation ftw </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah....I said "about"....as in "approximately".....as in "not exactly."

Anybody else have any suggestions? I'm sure somebody from montana or something knows you can't NOT get snow in the car.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:32 PM

i take my window scrapers, and brush the bottom of my feet off with them. also i have the heat blasting hot towards the floor.l

Also next time you remove the carpet, you will be suprised, i found a few holes, in high spots even....i coverd those up since i know water wont excape there.

actually i might put some of that aluminum insulation under my carpet, and then seal up any holes in the chassis, im not sure if the pressure will differ much, but id like to retain the highest efficiency possible.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:03 PM

same here !#@
Old 01-27-2007, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car Freeze ~~ Help? (red-si)

Ya, I have to buy a bigger brush anyways, the ice scraper broke in half on my main one :-\

Yeah, cleaning ur feat is a good idea, ******* **** I was driving with last week didn't wipe her feet (even though I told her to knock the snow off).

I'ma kill that bitch. It was the next day when everything hit like -3 and then the inside froze over.

******* stupid *****, last time she sucks my dick...

For now anyways.

I'll have to try baking it, a lot of the snow cleared up today.

I'm still not sure if I should leave the windows a crack for condensation to escape and not build up or if that would be bad due to incoming rain or snow.

Old 01-27-2007, 09:04 PM

The only real times i have issues is when i go inside a heated garage, and then come back out, my car does wierd things for a few days.

Oh and please cut that bitches hair, real short. vidal sassoon that ****. My girl, or shall we say the metros girl, puked in my car, not even wall mart had the selection to remove the ***** stain she has embedded into my freshly installed carpet on my Ejay8.

I had the pleasure of dropping her of 150 miles away, naked, no phone or purse, just her ******* to get her home, which i have thought about popping lots of times. Actually i think that puke stain is part of my condensation problem, im gonna go beat her *** real quick

oh and a little off topic, well since were on the subject of scandals and *****, and freezing, Doesmt everybody hate that when a bitch JUST fuckn slams the **** outta your car door? this barbie hooker would just slam it like its hot out, but really my door would just swing back open again. I dont know whether i should just slam her face into my steering wheel? or stick her leg in the door jam next time.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Car Freeze ~~ Help? (YoungKadafi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by YoungKadafi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The only real times i have issues is when i go inside a heated garage, and then come back out, my car does wierd things for a few days.

Oh and please cut that bitches hair, real short. vidal sassoon that ****. My girl, or shall we say the metros girl, puked in my car, not even wall mart had the selection to remove the ***** stain she has embedded into my freshly installed carpet on my Ejay8.

I had the pleasure of dropping her of 150 miles away, naked, no phone or purse, just her ******* to get her home, which i have thought about popping lots of times. Actually i think that puke stain is part of my condensation problem, im gonna go beat her *** real quick

oh and a little off topic, well since were on the subject of scandals and *****, and freezing, Doesmt everybody hate that when a bitch JUST fuckn slams the **** outta your car door? this barbie hooker would just slam it like its hot out, but really my door would just swing back open again. I dont know whether i should just slam her face into my steering wheel? or stick her leg in the door jam next time.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Eh, she's a good girl, 'cept for when she does stupid ****, like that.

She slammed my car door once but that was on my GTI and I cared for it a lot more because it's worth a lot more, and I told her if she did it again I'd kill her.

Though with that threat not being 100% serious she got the message and never did it again.

Though seriously, I think she got snow in it, her or her g/f, doesn't really matter.

In any event, it's there, I'ma try baking it out tomorrow...no way to really tell until it gets sub 0 again.