Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Can u bypass FITV? how?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 11:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can u bypass FITV? how?

Hey fellas....i been having some really bad idle....is there a way i can block off the FITV (valve under throttle body) i made some research and a B16a2 is not suppose to have one, isnt that correct? is there a gasket i can get to seal all woles on the FITV? what would happen?
Old 09-18-2009, 03:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Can u bypass FITV? how?

you can have your local shop make a fitv block off valve
Old 09-18-2009, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

or u can take it off the throttle body, unscrew the 2 screws holding the plate onto the end, an screw the plunger all the way in making a constant flow of coolant pass through and not allowing it a chance to screw up ur idle. Or you could do the ghetto-rigged way that I've seen work for numerous folks, take the hose off the front side of it and plug it up with a bolt/clamp or put a cap on the nipple going to the FITV on the head w/ a clamp. Just make sure to get a higher temp rated cap, sometimes people have had issues with it popping off I guess "although I never have".
Old 09-18-2009, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would either get a block off plate or buy a type r throttle body as they do not have the FITV on them. You will also need a longer coolant line to run from the IACV to the intake manifold where the fitv used to go. If you go with the type r TB you can just reuse the coolant lines you have as it just has a little bypass on the bottom.

If you want to fix your issue without changing anything, take the fitv off, screw in the white thing inside till it's snug. Put it back together and back on. Then take the IACV on the back of the manifold off, fill the two holes that have the gasket around them with carb cleaner and let it sit for a while. Spray it out and let it dry. Then put that back on. If you're still having issues after that I'd check your wiring.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thank you guys alot....i will take my fitv off and screw the white plastic all the way in. when screwing it in....that will cut the air (when cold & ofcourse when hot) correct? i will try looking for something i can use to block off that coolant line coming from the IACV to the FITV. Ill post up resulst later on today.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i took off the FITV....cleaned it up, and left the valve fully closed....put it back on...and my horrible idle surging problem is now gone....i still feel suction from the lower whole in the throttle body....is that normal? it hardly changes idle when i put my finger over it....u cant really tell that the idle drops....prob. by like 50 rpm.....is this normal to still feel some suction from the lower port in the throttle body even when i fully closed the valve?

Now that i can get my idle at about 650-750....i can set my timing to specs...
anyone know how many degrees does the timing have to set on a b16a2? forgot if its 12 or 16.

Thank you all for the help on fixing most of my horrible idle surging problem. now i have to buy a multimeter to set my tps to where it is suppose to be
Old 09-20-2009, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that to make the FITV work "right" you're supposed to screw it in all the way and back it out like a turn or two or something. It seems like there'd be a way to do something in tuning to accomplish the same thing. If not that, a thermocouple and a temperature controller along with an electronically actuated valve...

A repair manual should say what the timing should be.