Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Can an intake manifold leak can cause a TPS malfunction?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 Can an intake manifold leak can cause a TPS malfunction?

HI,

Here is the story... I bought a 1999 Honda Civic ex a few weeks ago, the car had the check engine light on and it was the O2 sensor I went to this shop to change it and they told me the car had a oil leak in the oil pan because it had 4 bolt broken in the same area and it was not sealing correctly. I came next day to repair the leak and to put a thermostat on the car I left the car in the shop and went to work and after the repair was done I took the car the car started jumping like a horse and the check engine light lit up again . I returned to the shop and they told me they had found a leak in the intake manifold and the diagnostic of the check engine light was the idle or TPS, no code number was given to me so tomorrow I have to go to advanced auto to see what code number is the one.
This is the part that I'm a little skeptical I told the mechanic that the car didn't had that problem before taking the car for repair, he told me because they sealed the car in the oil pan and the car is running at the correct temperature if the car had another malfunction it will show at this time. The oil pan was leaking "compression or pressure" and that is why it didn't fail before, now that is sealed is failing. The guy did the test and indeed it has a leak in the manifold but that is just sucking air and not pressure like he said.

Can someone help me on this since this is my first Honda civic I don't know much about them.
Old 06-09-2013, 02:46 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Re: Can an intake manifold leak can cause a TPS malfunction?

To answer your thread question no it won't cause a TPS malfunction. Pull the code as there's no way to guess what the issue is until that is known. There's no pressure in the oil pan so not sure what they're talking about on that one.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Can an intake manifold leak can cause a TPS malfunction?

here is the update,

I took the car to my friend and he told me that the car has the idle air control valve code. what he first suggested is to put the fan to work correctly(for some reason didn't had the relay and was direct I assume the first mechanic put the thermostat and saw that was going to overheat and put it direct), the temperature in the iacv was wrong so we put the relay and change the temperature fan switch. the car was running perfect after a few hour of use the check engine light lit and car start doing the same thing rev up and down at 1.5 rev and then accelerate. When we put the scanner now it has two codes, iacv p0505 and the tps p0120 (if I don't mistake this one)low input on TPS. The car still have the manifold leak. That is my next step before dumping more money on sensor. but I still don't understand why this happen after putting a thermostat on the car.