Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

A/C Troubles, oriface tube?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Troubles, oriface tube?

I've been battling A/C problems for months now, i wanted it blowing ice cold before it got hot, but that didn't happen . anyway, i replaced the compressor, didn't get any better, i just had it vacuumed and charged today, and it helped a bit, but the shop said the low pressure side is high, and the high pressure side is low. meaning a restriction. this is an orifice tube right? I looked in my illegal online honda manual and it shows the orifice tube in the evaporator, is that hard to replace? it looks like parts stores have em for around 30. who's done this? thanks
Old 06-19-2006, 08:42 PM

usually when you take it to a shop to get the AC service done, you can tell right away if the expansion valve is failing..the needle on the gauge would be flipping out.. but the expansion valve is in the evaporator, i havent done one on an EG or EK yet but i know when i had my EF i had to drop the glove box, blower motor housing and then youd get access to the evaporator..dont forget to undo the lines at the firewall.. remember if your planning on doing this to get the recover, and vacuum done at the shop first.. or say goodbye to your skin
Old 06-19-2006, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jdeemseerx)

Expansion valve is definitely a possibility. Did you replace the compressor because it internally broke down? If this is the case, the condenser and lines need to be flushed. I, myself always replace the expansion valve when the compressor stops functioning properly. If the compressor is replaced because of it leaking, it is not always recommended to replace the expansion valve. It only freezes up when liquid state freon is trapped in the evaporator.

If I were you, I would flush the system, replace the dryer and put it on a 1 hour vacuum. Technically dryers are considered filters and are recommended to be replaced in maintenance intervals. We just don't recommend this because it is very hard to sell.

Cliffs: I swear to god I hate A/C. But it is so easy to me.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A/C Troubles, oriface tube? (littlegreenb18)

the orifice tube and expansion valve are two totally diff things. i wouldnt listen to the other posts. if you have an orifice tube then you dont have an TXv thermo expansion valve. its one or the other. A/c problems should be taken to a shop if your not familiar, but typically the orifice tube is in line of the hose right before the evap. look where the last connection is before the evap. its probably right there. no gurantees but on 90% of cars it is.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A/C Troubles, oriface tube? (postman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by postman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the orifice tube and expansion valve are two totally diff things. i wouldnt listen to the other posts. if you have an orifice tube then you dont have an TXv thermo expansion valve. its one or the other. A/c problems should be taken to a shop if your not familiar, but typically the orifice tube is in line of the hose right before the evap. look where the last connection is before the evap. its probably right there. no gurantees but on 90% of cars it is.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't listen to the other posts? Tell me, how long have you been servicing A/C systems? How many classes have you taken? How many certifications do you have? How many times have you been recognized by a major company for your age, knowledge, and mechanical skills. Do you do this for a living?

You should know that Hondas DO NOT use orifice tubes. Shut up *** hat.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:04 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (B20 EJ6)

if you can get a manifold set on it, look at the high and low sides while the compressor is cycling. usually if there is a restriction in the exp valve, it will cool for a little while then the low side will dip into vacuum even though the system has a proper charge.

atleast thats what happens with the lex's when the exp valve fails.

yeah to agree with above, older domestics use orifice tubes. imports use exp valves.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boostedcivicsir)

Finally someone else knows what they are talking about. I laughed my *** off when I saw you mention lexus's and expansion valves. The older LS's and ES's are a monthly occurance in my shop.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:15 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (B20 EJ6)

did one today on an es. dont forget the s tubes. yeah i have the privelage of working on them full time.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A/C Troubles, oriface tube? (B20 EJ6)

first of all i am hvac certified and could easily diagnose his problem without using damn manifold gauges. just by holding the hose. and i didnt say that hondas use an orifice tube i was telling him the correct way to diagnose a system if it had an orifice tube. hondas do use txv like you said. the statement was meant for the gentelmen that said a car uses a txv and an orifice tube at once. maybe if your dumb *** could understand the content of an sentence. you would understand the point i was trying to make. Its ok though, i dont alwasy expect people to understand- its part of life, but when someone wants to come in here and start talking smack. well it down right makes me want to do all this typing.

dont ever come in here and try to diss me. Biaaaaatch

peace
postman