Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

HELP!! AC PROBLEM - high side ok, low side has no pressure

Old 09-13-2011, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! AC PROBLEM - high side ok, low side has no pressure

Hi guys,

I recently serviced my 93 civic hatch and replaced my compressor, dryer can, evaporator and expansion valve since the ac compressor crapped out on me. I replace the evaporator and valve since they looked completely neglected from the previous owner. The condenser I didn't change and is the original one. I took the car to get it recharged with freon and the tech told me that the high side would hold pressure just fine, but the low side didn't have any pressure at all. The AC used to work just fine 2 months ago.

Would changing out my condenser with a new one do anything? could the new expansion valve not be opening up? or Could there be a leak in one of my lines? or could something be clogged? I'm trying to get the ac working again but i'm puzzled as to where to look to solve the problem, I figure buying new parts would help me narrow down the cause of the problem.

I'm not too sure which line is the high side and which is the low side as the car didn't come with the labeled valve caps.

Any help or suggestions would be great! This Texas heat is killing me lol

Thanks!
Old 09-13-2011, 10:23 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: HELP!! AC PROBLEM - high side ok, low side has no pressure

ive had this issue before. my shop guy fixed it. i hope you find your problem bud..
Old 09-14-2011, 06:19 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

The low side pressure should drop once the compressor kicks on. Depending on the ambient temp & humidity, it could go as low as 28psi (on a properly functioning system).

If the low side is going much below that or into vacuum, that usually indicates there is a blockage somewhere in the system (usually the expansion valve). If you said you replaced the valve, then you may have to look elsewhere.

Unfortunately the EG condensor is built with end tubes and individual tubes connecting them like a radiator. Instead of one long continuous tube bending back & forth like the CRX. That means it cannot be flushed out. Instead it must be replaced if blockage is detected. How do you detect a blockage you ask? I have no idea...
Old 09-14-2011, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94eg!
The low side pressure should drop once the compressor kicks on. Depending on the ambient temp & humidity, it could go as low as 28psi (on a properly functioning system).

If the low side is going much below that or into vacuum, that usually indicates there is a blockage somewhere in the system (usually the expansion valve). If you said you replaced the valve, then you may have to look elsewhere.

Unfortunately the EG condensor is built with end tubes and individual tubes connecting them like a radiator. Instead of one long continuous tube bending back & forth like the CRX. That means it cannot be flushed out. Instead it must be replaced if blockage is detected. How do you detect a blockage you ask? I have no idea...

Your shadow valve is stuck! It's against your firewall inside the car behind the glove box! It's between the blower and firewall! Had the same problem!
Old 09-14-2011, 07:55 AM
#1 Super Guy

What's a shadow valve?
Old 09-15-2011, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Shadow valve? Do you mean the expansion valve?

I went ahead and ordered a new condenser today along with another expansion valve. I'm thinking the expansion valve is stuck/clogged in the closed position causing it to go into vacuum or show no pressure. I'm also gonna flush the lines again, hopefully the new evaporator I have isn't clogged also.

I will update once parts are in and recharge attempt is done again.

Even though its a high of 83 degrees and cold for today, I would still like to get this fixed hahaha.

This stupid Texas weather is unpredictable at times lol
Old 09-15-2011, 03:55 PM
#1 Super Guy

Don't forget to replace the receiver/dryer again. That has to be swapped out every time the system is opened. They are only like $10-$15.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Name:  picture_6310.jpg
Views: 12901
Size:  48.6 KB