Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

A/C not working please read.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C not working please read.

Ok so I took my girls car (95 ex) to a shop and they charged me 150 bucks to get the thing working. Before this my buddy fixed the relays to where the compressor would cut on. 2 weeks after I got it out of the shop it ****** out. I noticed green stuff all over the condensor fan shrouding looked like it was coming out of one of those two valves. My girl took it back and they said they normally charged 60$ to change the valve but they would help me out this time. So again 2 weeks later it crapped out again so she took it back up there and they said the evaperator gasket was bad and they would charge us 150 to fix it. Both times before it crapped out it would make a whistle noise and water was (looked to be condensing) from the evaperator.

Please some AC guru help me out.
Would the evaperator cause it to stop blowing cold.(someone told me it should still blow cold)?
Would a overcharged system keep it from working? I plug up a gauge to it and it reads close to 100psi?

THanks in advance
Old 08-28-2008, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So would it be the expansion valve or dryer? Shouldnt the shop fixed this when they hooked it up to the machine. Doesnt the machine flush the whole system including debris from the lines and then fill it.
Old 08-28-2008, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Sr420Det)

if you have a leak in the system, then obviously it will eventually stop blowing cold. and yes, an overcharge can keep the system from working correctly
Old 08-28-2008, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its still charged I said it was at 100psi on the hot side while the compressor is on. Is that too much what about the evaperator?
Old 08-29-2008, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Any helpful info would be appreciated.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Tell the mechanics you want them to fix your car and DO IT RIGHT! no more paying.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:15 AM

Default Re: A/C not working please read. (Sr420Det)

I'll take a whack at this (others can nail me if i'm wrong). . .

TAKE YOUR GIRL'S CAR TO ANOTHER SHOP. sounds like your current tech is not doing a thorough job (BUT I understand that ish happens).

if anything is bad on your A/C, chances are you're not going to get cold air. immediately after recharging the system, you'll get cold air. after a few days it'll die out. sounds like you've got leaks.

if the evap is bad, it's usually because it has a leak. if it has a leak then eventually your freon will leave your system and go into the atmosphere- some oily residues will also accumulate in the evap box (or where ever you have a leak for that matter). if you had the system charged, and your evap was BAD (leaky), you would still get cold air for a little while until it ran out of freon.

did you check the pressure right after you tried running the A/C? even with a leak in the system, you can still build pressure in the system by running the A/C- your A/C compressor is still pumping pressure into the system because it's a pump, but eventually (after you stop running the A/C) the pressure would drop because you have a leak. point is that just because you have pressure, does not mean you still have freon left in there.

disfunctional expansion valve will not yield cold air. this malfunction can be detected upon charging of the system.

A/C techs do an evacuation of the system (prior to charging it) which is an attempt to remove moisture from the system. it does not flush out debris, dirt, etc. if you have debris, dirt, etc in your system, you're sort of SOL. you would need to disassemble the A/C system and flush everything independently (the expansion valve and drier should not be flushed- the drier (accumulator,etc) should be replaced every time the A/C system is cracked open.

chances are your evap is fine.

again, take it to another shop if you're not prepped to handle this yourself. Good Luck!

Old 08-30-2008, 04:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok will do. Im pretty much sol then. Im not taking it to another shop. I know the guy who work on it (we used to race togather) but he is kind of a dick so [freak] him. I could do a better job myself. Im going to follow the ac writeup we have here on h-t. Thanks anyways.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

100 psi on the high side is to low, and you don't have to replace the drier every time the system is open. That's what vacuuming is for. sounds like this guy is not thoroughly checking for leaks.