Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Bulletproofing my D15B turbo setup

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Bulletproofing my D15B turbo setup

ok fellas- I recently had my D16Z6 motor go on me because the place that I had do my return line setup from my turbo to pan put a cheap return line hose on and it ripped while I was driving and I lost all my oil and it killed the motor. I have recently went and got a JDM D15B motor (130 hp) and I went to my local speed shop and got some 4 ply rubber hose with stainless steel sheath over it to use for my new return line. What else could I possibly do to my setup to avoid any kind of problems like I have previously had? I have an LM2 wideband datalogger which I use with crome to tune my ecu for the proper air/fuel mix so thats not really an issue. It just seems like I take care of one thing and within a week or so, I have a new problem at hand and I can never get everything to run strong reliably for longer than a week or so. Any suggestions? Thanks
Old 02-07-2010, 09:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bulletproofing my D15B turbo setup

Build the bottom end and chip + tune the ecu. I'm guessing your using a P28?
Old 02-07-2010, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well, yes i am using a p28 with a jdm p30 basemap. I didnt plan on doing the bottom end, because of a few reasons. 1, I dont plan on running high boost because i have an automatic trans and 2, the cause of the failure in my old motor wasnt from too much power it was from lack of oil when the return line ripped and all the oil drained out. So I am basically just looking for ways to prevent stupid little things like that happening again.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One thing you should do is to get the car tuned, instead of running a map for the completely wrong engine. You probably won't have issues for a while, but it's definitely going to cause premature wear on the engine.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ah, your running an automatic tranny? How is it handling? I heard when boosting with a auto tran especially D series is going to need alot of rebuilding.

Well CivicSpoon just said it all. Just have it tuned for your motor and not a basemap of a p30
Old 02-08-2010, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well, i use the p30 basemap because it has alot more options that I can use in crome that the p28 doesnt have. I just import the stock fuel tables from the p28 basemap to the p30 then use all the options the p30 has to offer and it works great. The guy at the local tuning shop told me to do it and it works great. Tuning is not really an issue. As for the trans- with the low boost levels I was running before the motor went (approx 6.5-7 psi) it held great. The ecu would shut down the spark/fuel right before the trans would shift so it would rev up and shift perfectly smooth and not be hard on the trans at all. I have to drive it with the auto because I crashed my 97 civic really bad a few years ago and it broke my neck/back leaving me paralized from the waist down so I have no feeling/movement in my legs. Needless to say, I cant drive a stick car anymore because of it and I use installed hand controls for the gas/brake under my wheel to drive.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ah, I see. Sorry for your lost man. Sad to see that something like that happened.

If I ever got into a crash like that, I think I would drive some SUV or Truck haha.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well, makes sense, i would like to as well but the thing is, you (i) cant transfer myself into something that is up high like that using only my hands. I have to be able to lift and aim my *** up into a seat and if its much higher than a foot above where my *** is in my wheelchair its almost impossible without help. Then once I am in, I have to be able to lean out of the car and take my chair apart and put it piece by piece into the back seat of the car. This is why people with power wheelchairs have to drive those large vans- because those chairs are so heavy and they dont come apart, the van has a lift installed in it to lift them and the chair up to the vans floor height then they can drive the chair right up to the steering wheel and the chair actually locks into the floor tracks where the drivers seat would be and they drive right from their chair. I am fortunate enough to have full use of my arms and upper body so I dont need a power chair and I only use a manual chair so I can take it apart and still drive a regular car. A little more than u prob needed to know but I just felt like i would explain it because people just dont know. lol
Old 02-09-2010, 02:37 PM
ZMX
Honda-Tech Member

Make sure all your plumbing and wiring secure. You should be able to beat on your components without worrying.

Aside from that, a good tune.