Notices

re routing return line ... need some help

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re routing return line ... need some help

whats up everyone .. havent posted on here in a while.

anyway, i have a problem, i have a turbo d16, been turbod for a little more than a year. right now i have my oil return line touching my downpipe .. this held up until now. the heat has put a litte hole into the return line .. i'm not surprised. anyway .. i have a steel braided line thats held on by two hose clamps at each end. i dont have a pic, but to describe the routing would be almost like an S shape. my turbo is closer to the front of the car than the radiator, and my return valve is on the bigger end of the oil pan at the top. so the line goes from the turbo on the inside of the downpipe and then into the pan. The S portion is cause because the line is resting against the downpipe.

I did it this way because it was the only way the line would reach the turbo to the pan.

obvioulsly now i have to reroute it, so i had a few questions. First off the main thing i'm worried about is having the return line sloping upwards. i know that there is not much pressure behind the return so i dont know if it would be ok to route it so that there is an upwards slope.

second, does anyone have any advice on how to route it, or what type of line i should purchase to do so.

thx in advance
Old 01-12-2010, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: re routing return line ... need some help

what turbo manifold and downpipe do you have?

unfortunately pics would be a great help. you may need to move your return bung on the pan for best fitment.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dpetro1
what turbo manifold and downpipe do you have?

unfortunately pics would be a great help. you may need to move your return bung on the pan for best fitment.
i have an autoworks log mani and 2.5" autoworks ac compatible downpipe ... its real tight in there

this is a mock up .. but this is how its routed .. the part thats touching the pipe is the part thats startin to leak
Old 01-12-2010, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you just made it longer wouldn't that solve the problem? I would assume the extra length on the return line would push it out further away from the down pipe.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cheapest way i think is use thermotec wrap for manifolds on the downpipe, if you are unwilling to reroute the oil dump tube.

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en...ed=0CC8QrQQwAg
Old 01-12-2010, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i had a "S" type of dump and ran fine but from what i was told it wasn't "good" for the turbo either. you would want to make it so it would have a path of least resistance for the oil dump. it looks fine though, there isn't any real hard kinks from what i can see.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'd make it longer ... but what if the line is at an upwards angle when going back into the oil pan?
Old 01-14-2010, 05:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how severe is the angle? can you take a pic? is there any way to put a 45* fitting into the pan?
Old 01-14-2010, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would avoid an up angle as much as possible because the turbo drains mostly from gravity. I am using a 90 from turbo and a 45 from pan. Cant remeber exactly what size line I am using but it is pretty big.Bigger the better. Being at work i cant see your pic as it is blocked so I wish I could be of more help.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wrap that section of the DP with fiberglass wrap, and put the SS line in that thermo crap above. Hoepfully you used braided line with a teflon inside instead of rubber, teflon takes 500F vs 250F of rubber.

I've had a setup where the line was almost horizontal, and it worked fine. Just don't let it dip then come back up - puddling inside it will be like submerging the outlet.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thx .. i'm gunna look into the wrap .. and a teflon coated line ... i think mine is rubber ... whatever i got from stealthmode
Old 01-14-2010, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

stealthmode sells hundreds on oil line kits, im sure your line is fine. even though braided line isnt meant to be used with hose clamps.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:48 PM
rota92

Change to AN style fittings, run a 45* out of the turbo and a 45* off the pan, should solve it so long as it doesn't rub on the top of the DP. Can't tell from that pic.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry to jump on thread w/o an answer, but i too have an oil return question, i have some hose i bought
from the local harware store, it's high pressure, looks like radiator hose but i believe it's for plumming
my question is does the return have to be as high pressure as feed, or no seein it's moreless gravity
fed?
also is 3/4"id big ebough?
Old 01-14-2010, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mikej94civex
sorry to jump on thread w/o an answer, but i too have an oil return question, i have some hose i bought
from the local harware store, it's high pressure, looks like radiator hose but i believe it's for plumming
my question is does the return have to be as high pressure as feed, or no seein it's moreless gravity
fed?

Dont use that crap. Use this or something similiar. Scroll down a little bit and you will see the return.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-49/build-your-own-turbo-oil-line-kit-starting-%24-39-shipped-1902396/
Old 01-14-2010, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mikej94civex
fed?
the return is not a pressurized line as you suspected. 3/4" is plenty big, most use -10AN or 5/8" but as mentioned above that hose probably isnt rated for oil and shouldnt be used. i just read a thread where a cheap return line broke and toasted an engine