Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Break Light coming on while driving..

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 01:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Break Light coming on while driving..

Happens when I take off from a stop or have moderate acceleration when moving.. Then it goes off after 10 or so seconds. Any one know what this means? If it means my breaks are shot, yeah i know that heh i got replacement parts in the closet for it. But any how what does this mean? THe car is a 99 Si
Old 10-22-2005, 01:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Break Light coming on while driving.. (SiKid86)

It means your brake pads are too worn out
Old 10-22-2005, 03:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Break Light coming on while driving.. (SiKid86)

Check your fluid level. If your brake fluid is getting low the light will come on.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:12 AM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: Break Light coming on while driving.. (AJR EJ8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AJR EJ8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It means your brake pads are too worn out</TD></TR></TABLE>

Show me where the brake pad sensor is on ANY car, especially a civic, is. You're full of ****. Please be quiet.

Most of the time it means your brake fluid is getting low. Either that or your e-brake switch has a short in it. Or there's the remote chance that the brake fluid level sensor is going bad too.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:39 AM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: Break Light coming on while driving.. (IslandSi)

Low brake fluid level
Old 10-22-2005, 05:46 AM

Default Re: Break Light coming on while driving.. (BauleyCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Low brake fluid level </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 10-22-2005, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Break Light coming on while driving.. (IslandSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IslandSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Show me where the brake pad sensor is on ANY car, especially a civic, is. You're full of ****. Please be quiet.

Most of the time it means your brake fluid is getting low. Either that or your e-brake switch has a short in it. Or there's the remote chance that the brake fluid level sensor is going bad too. </TD></TR></TABLE>

The exact thing happened to me twice. Usually during the first few minutes of driving, i would accelerate from a stop and my brake light would go on, I let go of the gas it goes off. I checked my brake fluid it was fine, and finally I checked my brake pads and they were all worn out. I changed the pads and only the pads, didn't change the fluid, top it up or anything the problem went away. Second time it happened I asked the guy who I bought my pads and rotors from a certified mechanic why the light goes on he said something about the pads being too thin and its causing you to use more brake fluid or something like that.
Old 10-22-2005, 06:21 AM

Definitely check the fluid. Leaking brake master cylinder can also cause the light to come on.
Old 10-22-2005, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Break Light coming on while driving.. (AJR EJ8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AJR EJ8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The exact thing happened to me twice. Usually during the first few minutes of driving, i would accelerate from a stop and my brake light would go on, I let go of the gas it goes off. I checked my brake fluid it was fine, and finally I checked my brake pads and they were all worn out. I changed the pads and only the pads, didn't change the fluid, top it up or anything the problem went away. Second time it happened I asked the guy who I bought my pads and rotors from a certified mechanic why the light goes on he said something about the pads being too thin and its causing you to use more brake fluid or something like that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Partially true. When your break pads run thin your using more break fluid to have a the pad travel more. While there are no sensors on the break pad or rotor the break light could be a product of pads running thin.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:41 PM

Default Re: Break Light coming on while driving.. (Orangedragone)

Ah got ya.. I know the breaks are about shot.. I have some brembos and axxis pads sitting in the closet.. Maybe its time to put em on.. I'll check the fluid levels out too.. THanks ya'lls