Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Brake line broken, now what ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 05:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake line broken, now what ?

So I was swapping the rear trailing arms with two cars (wanted to put rear disk on my car, and put my drums on the other one).

All went well except for on one of the corners, when I was undoing the nut to the brake line, it was seized to the actual line itself, so it turned the whole line when I turned that nut, so it twisted and broke.

So, what are my options here? I have decent experience with working on cars (but I'm no pro for sure) but I just don't know what to do. I want to try to fix it at home if possible to save $, but if towing it to a mechanic is my best option then I don't mind doing that.

Like the line is too short now, and it needs that end piece. I *really* hope I don't have to replace the whole line, that's a huge pain in the *** (and probably $$ right?)..

Thanks so much for any help.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brake line broken, now what ?

Buy a new brake line and put it on
Old 06-30-2009, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ej6.sean
Buy a new brake line and put it on
Is there no other way? The brake line goes straight from there to the engine bay right, so it would be a huge pain?

Can I get one pre-bend for a Civic at an auto parts store or how does it work ?
Old 06-30-2009, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

go to napa and get a little like 6in piece of brake line( or whatever length you need) bend it up, and you should be good to go.

never done one on a honda so i dont know sizes off the top of my head, but should be 3/16's line i think with 3/16 line nuts.

hope this helps
Old 06-30-2009, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is there any way you could cut and reflare it? or is it way short?
Old 06-30-2009, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

u can buy a pressure fitting and a new brake line and fix it that way done it b4 it sux
Old 06-30-2009, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BlitzSix
Is there no other way? The brake line goes straight from there to the engine bay right, so it would be a huge pain?

Can I get one pre-bend for a Civic at an auto parts store or how does it work ?
You could try to add an extension of hard line if you wanted to. You would need to reflare a fitting on what you have left then use a coupler to adapt that to your extension. Working with hard lines can be a pain at times.

Or the other option is to replace the whole line... Like numbers 9 and 11 pictured here.

From a dealer these will set you back about $100 maybe a little more. And it will likely be somewhat of a pain in the *** to replace. But itd be better to do it yourself because I'm sure a shop would rape you on cost of labor for something like this.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by g230sport
go to napa and get a little like 6in piece of brake line( or whatever length you need) bend it up, and you should be good to go.

never done one on a honda so i dont know sizes off the top of my head, but should be 3/16's line i think with 3/16 line nuts.

hope this helps
Sorry for being a newb but can you fill in teh blanks for me here, once I buy the line, how exactly would I attach it to the other brake line (the one I broke off)?

Originally Posted by jtmartin96civic
is there any way you could cut and reflare it? or is it way short?
Well at this point it's about an inch short, I just broke off the end. If there is an easy way to attach a line to whatever is broken off that would be perfect, but I don't know how to "cut and reflare it"?

Originally Posted by twiztid_989
u can buy a pressure fitting and a new brake line and fix it that way done it b4 it sux
Again, more info please with pics maybe? I have no idea what to look for when I get to the store..

But thanks for the replies everyone, including the ones I didnt' quote. I guess I will have to go to dealer for the line as a last resort, but I really don't want to spend much money on this car as I don't carea bout it.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BlitzSix
Sorry for being a newb but can you fill in teh blanks for me here, once I buy the line, how exactly would I attach it to the other brake line (the one I broke off)?

Well at this point it's about an inch short, I just broke off the end. If there is an easy way to attach a line to whatever is broken off that would be perfect, but I don't know how to "cut and reflare it"?

Again, more info please with pics maybe? I have no idea what to look for when I get to the store..

But thanks for the replies everyone, including the ones I didnt' quote. I guess I will have to go to dealer for the line as a last resort, but I really don't want to spend much money on this car as I don't carea bout it.

Another option is to go to a junk yard... Preferably a yard where you bring the tools and pull **** off yourself.

Hard lines like these use compression fittings so if you do try to reflare the line make sure to just take your time.

This is what you need. They can be purchased for $10-$20. But you can see how it works right? The block holds the hard line in place as the pointed section flares the end of the line which holds the 10mm fitting that goes to your soft brake line on the hard line.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=Jackal6042;39104593]Another option is to go to a junk yard... Preferably a yard where you bring the tools and pull **** off yourself.
This is what I would do...best bang for the buck!
Old 07-01-2009, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks so much guys, this forum is a lifesaver.

I just got an idea though, if I get that tool for $20, then can't I just reflare the line, and then buy just a tiny soft line that I can connect to that, and then to the other soft line, just to replace the other broken part. Would that even work ?
Old 07-01-2009, 08:31 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Can't really contribute to a solution for this problem, but I can sympathize. Hah. No doubt you're working on an Ontario car and that brake fitting seized up from all our Ontario salt and crap on our roads.

I was wondering about this question myself, since I massacred the brake lines on the Civic at the junkyard that I was pulling the trailing arms off. And I thought: Uh-oh, what do I do to avoid doing this on my own vehicle when it comes time to swap the brakes??

Thanks x2 for all the tips/suggestions.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i tourched my rears before i attempted to take them off, my fronts broke, those were only $25 a piece from Honda, the rears are a bit more, and a lot more of a pain in the *** to replace, the front sub frame has to come off to get the line out, and they snake around your gas tank and the bolts are a **** to get at.