Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Best place to get a pass. side axle for my D16Y8?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Destroying turbo ITR motors in Minneapolis, MN, U.S.A.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best place to get a pass. side axle for my D16Y8?

My passenger side CV boot is ripped I believe, because there's grease all over the underside of my car on the tranny side. But I'm not going to **** with replacing the boot, I'm just going to replace the axle since it's been this way for two months.

Where should I get one?

Checker?

Napa?

Autozone?

Used off of a H-T member?

HELP! I'd like to get it done this week or next.
Old 09-08-2004, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best place to get a pass. side axle for my D16Y8? (boostincoupe)

autozone all the way bro. lifetime warranty if you keep your receipt and they're only 59.99 with core axle.
Old 09-08-2004, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best place to get a pass. side axle for my D16Y8? (SirRevvs)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SirRevvs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">autozone all the way bro. lifetime warranty if you keep your receipt and they're only 59.99 with core axle. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Sweet! I'll go check them out tomorrow!

Any other tips or anything else I need to know? Do I have to replace my tranny fluid? That's fine if I do, I have some GM Synchromesh Friction Modified left over (2 qts.).
Old 09-08-2004, 04:04 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SirRevvs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">autozone all the way bro. lifetime warranty if you keep your receipt and they're only 59.99 with core axle. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well I have bought three passenger side axles from them for my D16Y7 and have gotten nothing but junk from them. This is before I even put in the new axle I looked it all over the first time and the cv boot had little deep cuts in them all over and a few were all the way through, then after I took it back and they gave me the second one it was the same way so I wouldn't take it, and the third one I thought was good, turned out to have a jammed or bound up cv joint so then I said give me my money back and I went to Napa, but they handled the same brand at that time and the guy told me to go to another place where I got a good one, but that local place is no longer there. So just this past weekend I had to get a new axle for the drivers side and I got it from O'rileys auto parts and it cost $63.49 with tax (after core) and has a lifetime warranty also, so I bought it and it works just fine. This is just my personal experience with autozone axles so I just decided I would let you know look it over very well before you even leave the store.
Old 09-08-2004, 04:06 PM

Default Re: Best place to get a pass. side axle for my D16Y8? (boostincoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostincoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Sweet! I'll go check them out tomorrow!

Any other tips or anything else I need to know? Do I have to replace my tranny fluid? That's fine if I do, I have some GM Synchromesh Friction Modified left over (2 qts.). </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah you have to drain the tranny fluid when you replace that side axle so I would use new, but it looks like you knew that.
Old 09-08-2004, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Best place to get a pass. side axle for my D16Y8? (haccord2.2)

well everyone has different experiences. mine has been good. maybe we get better reman. axles in texas but yeah I've heard stories about autozone axles breaking but it all depends. and even if you have to take them back 3 times it's still got a lifetime warranty and autozone's are all over the place many of them are 24 hrs too for when you break one night racing plus i took them 90 ls integra beat up *** axles and got 95 gsr axles back (dumbasses). but to answer the guy about what other stuff to replace when doing axles, i highly reccomend replacing the axle seals if they haven't been done in a while.
Old 09-08-2004, 04:20 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SirRevvs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well everyone has different experiences. mine has been good. maybe we get better reman. axles in texas but yeah I've heard stories about autozone axles breaking but it all depends. and even if you have to take them back 3 times it's still got a lifetime warranty and autozone's are all over the place many of them are 24 hrs too for when you break one night racing plus i took them 90 ls integra beat up *** axles and got 95 gsr axles back (dumbasses). but to answer the guy about what other stuff to replace when doing axles, i highly reccomend replacing the axle seals if they haven't been done in a while.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well you most likely do get better parts than Des Moines, IA. We don't have any 24hr autozones out here, and I wouldn't know I don't "night race."
Old 09-08-2004, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by haccord2.2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Well you most likely do get better parts than Des Moines, IA. We don't have any 24hr autozones out here, and I wouldn't know I don't "night race."</TD></TR></TABLE>

that's probably because you live in iowa and you go to bed really early so you can get up and go to church in the morning and praise jesus
Old 09-08-2004, 04:25 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SirRevvs &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

that's probably because you live in iowa and you go to bed really early so you can get up and go to church in the morning and praise jesus </TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh damn you have me figured out. Well off to bed!
Old 09-08-2004, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by haccord2.2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Oh damn you have me figured out. Well off to bed!</TD></TR></TABLE>

I apologize, didn't mean to hurt your feelings. Well I'm off to go night racing now
Old 09-08-2004, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is the thing, guys: I'm not looking to swap axles every few months. I want something reliable. I'm not a hardcore racer, my car's a daily driver and will probably see the track maybe 1-2 more times and that's it (for a little while ).