Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

b20b/v turbo

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 08:33 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b20b/v turbo

hey guys, i just bought a b20b from a jdm inporter here in pa, ok so my question is, a stock jdm b20b yeilds about 8.8:1 comp, correct? ok i used the compression calculator and with a b16 head it yeilds about 9.1:1 with a oem 3 layer head gasket. i was thinking with an aftermarket slightly thicker gasket i might yeild about 9:1 or maybe less not sure..anyways so if it yields around 9:1 compression, about how much boost could this engine handle with blockguard and a tune and also how much hp? also what do u guys think about this setup, BTW am not looking for a crazy setup
Old 09-13-2007, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: b20b/v turbo (Slowass2dr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Slowass2dr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey guys, i just bought a b20b from a jdm inporter here in pa, ok so my question is, a stock jdm b20b yeilds about 8.8:1 comp, correct? ok i used the compression calculator and with a b16 head it yeilds about 9.1:1 with a oem 3 layer head gasket. i was thinking with an aftermarket slightly thicker gasket i might yeild about 9:1 or maybe less not sure..anyways so if it yields around 9:1 compression, about how much boost could this engine handle with blockguard and a tune and also how much hp? also what do u guys think about this setup, BTW am not looking for a crazy setup </TD></TR></TABLE>

Supposedly it can handle 300hp on a good tune.

I don't like that b/c the B20's seem to blow bottom ends out like holy ****. People "say" they're just an LS bored out to a 2.0 - but LS's don't break like that, you can trust an LS up to 300whp - as for a B20 - I'd be a bit afraid too, too many rods thrown on those engines.

You can probably hang it around 270 or so running it a bit on the rich side for safety.

PS:
I'm pretty sure that you'll need a ~800 dollar LS/VTEC conversion kit for VTEC to work.

So maybe 700 for a long block B20? + shipping? Let's say 1000 shipped. Maybe 800 for an LS/V conversion kit, 3 or 400 for a B16 head...then you're gonna need a trans for that..so slap another 700 on that for a good B series transmission, pop another 100 on it for the linkage & mounts, so assuming nothing goes wrong it's about 3k.

So then you wanna turbo that which'll cost like 2k for a junkyard turbo kit, 3-3500 if you're looking for something new.

So you got like 5k into this thing now, which isn't that bad, and you can only drop 280 or so at the wheels b/c of the block's limitations on stock internals.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Get rid of the VTEC idea, dump the LS/V kit, and dump the B16 head. Why? Pointless in this situation, for 2 reasons. A) Your block will never be able to hold the 8250 RPM redline at 280+whp. Won't happen, if it does, it won't be for long, B) It's 100% unnecessary.

Lemme iterate here for a second. You have a cap, due to the block's stock internals capacity, you can't go past say 300whp. You're NOT shooting for "the most" HP. You're shooting for "HP under X" - so with that said, why spend 1k for a VTEC head and conversion kit, when you can just turn the wastegate and boost 2psi more, to make up the power that the VTEC head w/ better flow would have given you?

Boost PSI doesn't matter in terms of the engine staying together, only HP caps due to internals do.

- VTEC head for a stock internals boost - 1k
- Turning the wastegate up 1-3 psi to make the same power - free

Since you're capped at ~300 and not really shooting for the most you can possibly pull outta it, it doesn't make sense to spend an extra grand on VTEC head, especially when the internals of the block can't support the redline of the VTEC head.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: b20b/v turbo (Syndacate)

the lsvtec kit is around 250, and look for the thread How to make an lsvtec reliable by bambam, itll show you everything you need to know
Old 09-13-2007, 09:42 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: b20b/v turbo (lluks_844)

detonation kills b20 sleeves. you need to keep that in check if you want your engine to last, boosted or NA.