Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

b18c1 air/fuel/throttle lag inquiry for a newbie

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b18c1 air/fuel/throttle lag inquiry for a newbie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hello all....please forgive my ignorance in formatting questions. i am a new vtec owner as well as a new member of this site. i recently swapped a b18c1 into my ek and my cel light is on. after running computer it states something to effect of manufacturer's air/fuel management sensor...? can i replace that sensor or do i have to replace whole intake? The swap was done at sea level and now im in higher altitude if that makes any difference.
#2...im having a throttle lag...the throttle cable is tight and there is no slack. while holding engine at a constant rpm i will have a slight "lag" where the throttle turns off for a split second and then engage again. i dunno. any knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Old 07-15-2004, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: b18c1 air/fuel/throttle lag inquiry for a newbie (ekfighter)

Wow for someone thats new to VTEC motors you took on a pretty big motor. Have fun

Did you always have this problem since the swap was done? If so i would take it back down to whoever swapped it and have it fixed.

Im not really sure what the a/f management sensor is, it might be only a OBD2 thing or there talking about the 02 sensor. But if you put a computer to it then it would say 02 sensor. But thats the only thing (other then the ecu) that really controls a/f to be rich or lean. I dont think your MAP sensor would be making that code pop up because your at a higher attitude but thats a thought as well.

For the throttle cable, i would have a friend press the throttle while in nutreal and check to see where the lag might be. Could be anywhere.

Old 07-15-2004, 02:10 PM

Default Re: b18c1 air/fuel/throttle lag inquiry for a newbie (ekfighter)

My wife has a 99 Cougar and the air flow senor on it went bad. With that being said, when you would step on the gas from an idle, it would lag really bad and almost stall the car. once that sensor was replaced, it worked fine again. So, I would replace the sensor and see if that fixes it or not.
Hope this helps.
elevtro
Old 07-15-2004, 02:18 PM

Default Re: b18c1 air/fuel/throttle lag inquiry for a newbie (Luserkid)

Thanks for the knowledge! The OBD2 computer stated my O2 sensors were the problem and after new ones were installed i got the air/fuel sensor problem. I will try to find a new sensor but Im not sure Honda will sell them alone without whole intake. Off to the salvage yard!! Thanks again.
Old 07-15-2004, 02:20 PM

Default Re: b18c1 air/fuel/throttle lag inquiry for a newbie (elevtro)

MY car revs fine from idle its just when say im cruising on highway or something that the lag kicks in. If i stay on the gas then it runs smooth through whole rev range. Ill have one of my boys look at it. Thanks for the tip!