Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

B&M Short Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B&M Short Shifter

Does anyone else have/use a B&M short shifter and it rattles at higher rpms? Just curious if all of their shifters are like this or if it is just mine.
Old 09-11-2004, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B&M Short Shifter (xkwzt21)

i dont know about you, but when i step on the gas, and hold my foot there, the engine makes this really loud sound. kinda like somthing inside it is moving faster and faster.

i dono.

Just curious if all of their engines are like this or if it is just mine.
Old 09-11-2004, 08:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B&M Short Shifter (SkRiBLaH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkRiBLaH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i dont know about you, but when i step on the gas, and hold my foot there, the engine makes this really loud sound. kinda like somthing inside it is moving faster and faster.

i dono.

Just curious if all of their engines are like this or if it is just mine.</TD></TR></TABLE>
wow man ive never heard of anything like that, you better take it to a shop thats serious, good luck
Old 09-11-2004, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B&M Short Shifter (Art In Motion)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Art In Motion &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
wow man ive never heard of anything like that, you better take it to a shop thats serious, good luck </TD></TR></TABLE>

dammit thats what i thought.

****!
Old 09-11-2004, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B&M Short Shifter (SkRiBLaH)

I heard if it sounds like you're going faster and faster, your engine may esplode at any second.... in a 5 kiloton blast! Think about the kids!
Old 09-11-2004, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, Mine does it too, from about 3500 rpm and up, havent taken the time to check it out yet, gets kinda annoying when taking trips, my frinds did that too, his was a DC sports and when he changed his shift **** it stopped, who knows, but if i get mine fixed i will let ou know what i did
Old 09-11-2004, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B&M Short Shifter (NiteJar)

Thanks for the serious answer NiteJar, i dont know whats up with the others. And I agree the rattle is really annoying. Let me know what happens.
Old 09-11-2004, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

who installed the shifter? did you replace the bushings?
Old 09-11-2004, 03:12 PM

Default Re: B&M Short Shifter (SirRevvs)

I've had mine for about 6 months with no problems. If it starts to rattle, get motor inserts. Then everylittle thing in the car rattles. HA HA!!!
Old 09-11-2004, 03:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

On a serious note, I have a B&M installed. Doesn't rattle or anything. Did you replace the bushings, re-grease anything? Make sure all the bolts are tight too, but not too tight. Hopefully you get it fixed.
Old 09-11-2004, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B&M Short Shifter (Echelon)

I didnt install it, the shop that did my swap did. So im guessing that new bushings came with it. I have never worked in that area of the car before, as far as changing shifters, so i wouldnt know what to do in order to look at everything and possibly, uninstall and reinstall the shifter. Anyone have some easy directions? Would it be in the helms manual, im getting one real soon?
Old 09-11-2004, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xkwzt21 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I didnt install it, the shop that did my swap did. So im guessing that new bushings came with it. I have never worked in that area of the car before, as far as changing shifters, so i wouldnt know what to do in order to look at everything and possibly, uninstall and reinstall the shifter. Anyone have some easy directions? Would it be in the helms manual, im getting one real soon?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just get under the car and look for the bottom of the shifter. Its a bolt through the bottom of the shifter and 2 bolts on a bracket to get the shifter to drop out I believe. Jacking the car up and getting it on jackstands should take longer than removing your shifter.
Old 09-11-2004, 08:15 PM
All Motor Mentor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya mine does the same thing...drives me nuts. It's like a resonance inside it or something cause I can move it around and it changes the sound a little but doesn't stop it. I have new poly bushings in mine too and everything seems tight and shifts well. I have a skunk2 shift **** and was actually thinking about switching to a skunk2 shifter to see if that would stop it.
Old 09-25-2004, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B&M Short Shifter (00Red_SiR)

mine does the same thing and I also put bushings in it drives me nuts I might take it apart to see if theres any thing broken or some thing
Old 09-25-2004, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B&M Short Shifter (rac53041)

Yeap mine did it too
Old 09-25-2004, 05:53 PM

Get the skunk2 shifter. Its a total different feel. ry to find someone who has one and see how you like it. Some people like em and some people dont. your call
Old 09-25-2004, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B&M Short Shifter (Dr.Skunk)

It might be the bottom of the shifter knocking against the the heat shield on the b pipe. I know in my 00 coupe my dc shifter would knock against the stock b pipe but then i got a greddy evo didnt knock anymore.
Old 09-26-2004, 03:19 AM
All Motor Mentor

Default Re: B&M Short Shifter (Dr.Skunk)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dr.Skunk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Get the skunk2 shifter. Its a total different feel. ry to find someone who has one and see how you like it. Some people like em and some people dont. your call</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've actually just purchased the Skunk2 dual bend shifter and should have it by the end of this week. Once I install it I'll let everyone know if that solved it or not. I have checked the exhaust for clearance to see if that was making it "buzz" but it was fine.
Old 09-26-2004, 03:39 AM

I doubt its the actual shifter since its one solid piece. Could posibly be the bolts holding in to the shift linkage. Or your shift **** itself possibly?
Old 09-26-2004, 09:06 AM
All Motor Mentor

Default Re: B&M Short Shifter (94_HATCH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94_HATCH &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I doubt its the actual shifter since its one solid piece. Could posibly be the bolts holding in to the shift linkage. Or your shift **** itself possibly?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I checked over the bolts etc holding the shifter and have used 2 different shift ***** (now using a skunk2) and nothing has changed the vibration at certain RPM's. I've moved the shifter around in my hand to try to get it to stop resonating just in case it was touching something like the exhaust and again it wouldn't stop. Like I say, it doesn't make much sense to me either, but a few other people with this same shifter have experienced this same problem. If I change the shifter and there's no difference, then it can't be the shifter. I'll let everyone know what happens though.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I do have the B&M short shifter in my car. It did knock. For instance when im in neutral and I push the stick over to say fifth or reverse then it would knock. And yeah it would make knocking sounds. I had to get a new exhaust rubber hanger thingy at Autobacs in Kyoto, Japan. Its kinda like what you use for your muffler but with three more holes so you can adjust the height of the exhaust. I ended up pushing the exhaust pipe down to get it away from my shifter.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my b&m shifter rattles like crazy whenever I accelerate or deccelerate. even after I got the bushings and regreased everthing, still it has the same problem. the problem comes from b&m being cheap asses. instead of giving you a new sealed bearing for the shifter, they make you reuse your stock piece which doesn't fit tightly against the b&m shifter hence the rattling sound you get from their shifter.

I'm glad I replace my POS b&m shifter for the skunk2 shifter, at least the skunk2 shifter comes with it's own sealed bearing for the shifter. no issues with the skunk2 shifter nor any annoying rattles.

b&m:

skunk2:
Old 09-26-2004, 09:50 AM
Electrician

On another note, how does the B&M feel? I'm looking for a short shifter and was thinking to go with the B&M. ProStreetOnline has them for $60 shipped. How is the throw on these?
Old 09-26-2004, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (Dimi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dimi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">On another note, how does the B&M feel? I'm looking for a short shifter and was thinking to go with the B&M. ProStreetOnline has them for $60 shipped. How is the throw on these?</TD></TR></TABLE>

throws are good. only thing that's bad is the rattling noise you get. I also hate the fact the shifter doesn't have the natural bend like the stock piece or skunk2 shifter has. causing you to reach for the shifter a little bit. I know I'm being picky BUT when you are driving you want to be in the most comfortable position possible and not constantlly over reaching for the shifter ****.