Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Any tips for getting the rear brake drums off.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any tips for getting the rear brake drums off.

I need to get the drums off because i need to replace the cylinders. But i cannot get them to budge, the wheels turn freely without any effort so it's not like the brakes are locked up or something. Does any one have any little tips to help me get the drums off.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Any tips for getting the rear brake drums off.

Some of the holes in the face of the drum are threaded. Obtain an appropriate sized bolt for the hole and screw it in until the drum pops loose. Be sure to release the parking brake.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:27 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Some of the holes in the face of the drum are threaded. Obtain an appropriate sized bolt for the hole and screw it in until the drum pops loose. Be sure to release the parking brake.
You can try that, although most of the time the threads those bolts go in are pretty rusty, i've also broken drums doing that when the drum did not want to come loose. Normally I just beat on the face of the drum with a hammer (exactly what honda tells you not to do, but most mechanics still use this method anyway.)
Old 03-09-2009, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure the parking brake is off, and then try using a big hammer to hit on the drum (always avoid hitting the bolts) and cause vibration so the drum would be easier to take off.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

okay yeah i just was looking at those and tryin to find a bolt that would fit. Looks like i am goin to the hardware store you don't know what size those are do you they seem like they are fine thread and maybe like m 6-8 i hopefully i will guess it right the first time.

BTW I just checked my reservoir and it was bone dry. I don't see any fluid anywhere but i know that stuff can be really hard to see. The stuff under the car seems like it was from something else although it is next to the brake lines so it could be from that i just don't see where it is leaking from.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea beat it like it owes u money
Old 03-09-2009, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 94EG8
You can try that, although most of the time the threads those bolts go in are pretty loose, i've also broken drums doing that when the drum did not want to come loose. Normally I just beat on the face of the drum with a hammer (exactly what honda tells you not to do, but most mechanics still use this method anyway.)
I am not a mechanic, so I can't argue with your experience. Nonetheless, the bolt method has always worked for me without a hitch. I found the bolt that I use in my miscellaneous bolt box and by chance it was a perfect fit. Maybe a combination bolt/hammer method would be a good idea?

Joel, start by checking for brake fluid around the master cylinder, calipers, wheel cylinders, and the bleed bolts.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:34 AM

once you successfully taken the drums out, and change the cylinder, you will need to bleed the brakes. Then you will know where the leak is at. Long time used brake fluid looks like used engine oil. When you put the new stuff in to bleed you will know for sure.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:36 AM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
^^^this always works like a champ for me.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i've always used a hammer (5lbs - 12 lbs) and hit in around the top edge. also i rotate the drum to crack on it all the way around.
the bolt trick sometimes work but i've cracked the drums before.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:15 PM

i replaced the drums on my car and i had success with the bolt method but my drums were pretty rusty so they still didnt want to come off, so i lightly hit em with a tiny sledge hammer and eventually they came off.... once they are off the first time, if u go to do something to them again in a short amount of time they should just slide off easily....
Old 03-09-2009, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i went to the hardware store and got the bolts somehow i guessed right on my first try it was m8 with a 1.25 pitch. But adjusted the rear drums and bled all the brakes and the pressure is really good now. I looked for a long time and couldn't find the leak. For know i will just make sure my fluid stays topped off and i have a feeling it will be one of those things ill find on accident when doing something else. I was just thinking for the purpose of trying to find the leak if i put a dye in the fluid to make it show up better could that do any damage. The thing is I checked so thoroughly and i didn't see a thing, but brake fluid is so hard to see because it is so thin and so clear.

Last edited by joelmatt89; 03-09-2009 at 06:04 PM.