Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

messed up cvt tranny

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 01:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default messed up cvt tranny

My civic hx cvt tranny is messed up and I can't find anyone selling a use cvt tranny. Will the automatic tranny from the civic ex work? thanks

Modified by hiya vtec at 12:13 AM 9/27/2007
Old 09-26-2007, 11:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: messed up cvt tranny (hiya vtec)

anyone? need to fix my car asap. thanks
Old 09-27-2007, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the only automatic HX's came with the CVT tranny. Yes any 92-00 D series automatic tranny will bolt up to the D16y5 (hx) motor. However, the D16y5 head is a vtec-e head (lean burn mode). The only 2 ECU's (P2N) that are avail for the HX motor are for the manual and the CVT. The auto ecu for the CVT will not know how to jive with a normal automatic tranny. An ecu from an automatic dx/lx/ex will not be able to control the lean burn mode operation of the HX head.
So your options are: replace or repair the tranny, or convert to 5 speed manual.
I bought my 96 CVT HX and it is doing the same thing. I've collected almost everything needed to convert it to manual. I considered replacing the tranny with another CVT, but after reading so many posts about them slipping and start clutches going bad, it isn't worth the chance.

The only way to use a regular auto tranny would be to use a head other than the hx head. (not worth it IMO)
Old 09-27-2007, 06:30 AM

there is a cvt tranny on ebay right now, saw it just yesterday.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i am in the same bot, prob just gonna throw on a ex tranny, never would i try another cvt tranny
Old 10-14-2007, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Messed up a CVT? How did you do that. Might want to explain the problem....

Mind explaining why you hate the CVT's so much?
Old 10-14-2007, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the cvt tranny in my hx coupe was gone when i brought the car. at that point, i knew nothing about cvt trannys. the car does move but jurks real hard when i try to pull fowrard or go in revers. the lady i brought the car from said it totally dies on her. i havent really driven the car yet, but from all the responses i read i wouldent put another one on here. my boy had a 96 dx hatch rthat was auto so he offerent me his trannt since he was converting to 5 spd. i got the tranny but he lost the tourqu converter. i compared the two trannys a learned that they where different. i SEARCHED h-t and found out that the hx came with the cvt. just search the archived threads abvout cvt trannys and you will see all the threads with people plagues with problems. i decided to just grab an ex tranny and convert to 5spd.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SQ is the SQUAD)

I happen to rebuild them, and they are just as reliable as any other. It's when chimps neglect to maintain them they fall apart.

Probably jerks because the fluid is shot or she had the wrong type in it. A slight jerk is normal, that is the start clutch engaging. Because reverse has the same problem, if the tranny is at fault, I'm sure it will be because of poor fluid/wrong type.

Worn out axles can cause some jerking as well.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so what would you suggest i do to try to fix it before i pull the tranny
Old 10-14-2007, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SQ is the SQUAD)

Describe the problem as best you can, when is it the worst. Was the engine hot or cold. (this has a huge impact on hydraulic performance) Driving uphill or down. Is the CEL lit?

Check the condition of the oil, and note when it was last changed/flushed. Transmissions in failsafe mode will max out line pressures to prevent internal damage and warp clutch components. This results in harsh shifting to avoid slipping a clutch or belt. Take note of damaged items on the transmission itself, and any fluid leaks.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (slowcivic2k)

wow someone on H-T who knows something about the CVT

Mine was also shuddering when I bought the car w/ 104k miles. I had at the dealership for some emissions warranty work, and they noted that my "start clutch" needed to be replaced. They wanted $300 for the start clutch and $500 for labor

It was at that point that I decided to start collecting all the parts to convert to manual.
I've put about 10k more miles on it, it is still driveable but now I have to ease into the gas more or else it will just shudder and jerk from a stop. also now sometimes If I'm rolling slow and I give it too much gas it will shudder.

In your opinion, was the dealer correct in saying the start clutch needed replaced, or does it sound like a tranny flush was all I needed?

is the CVT fluid red like regular auto tranny fluid?
Old 10-17-2007, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (teal_dx)

I've seen a red variant in a green labeled bottle, and purple fluid (newer) with a purple label.

Oil is the first thing to change. A poor oil will cause hesitation or stiff grabbing. If you've ever owned a bike, putting the wrong type of oil can cause the clutches to slip or grab prematurely.

Smelling and inspecting the fluid for particles and dirt is the first thing that should be done. If the fluid smells bad, it probably is. A rotten smell can indicate fried clutches too, so beware. But the last thing to check for is particles. If when you place the oil on a white napkin you can see slight "speckles", your transmission is wearing properly. If you see larger chunks of debris/clutch material, you have clutch failing/failed.

Just keep this in mind, transmissions that don't see periodic fluid changes usually do not go over too well with just a drain and fill. This ends up cleaning the transmission too well, and can actually cause more problems. I suggest you have the fluid flushed out, or drain it out at least 3 times to get the cooler and valve body clean of the old fluid.

I see cars all the time where they drain and fill, and the next thing you know they are in the shop wondering why its shifting crazy. Another drain or flush later things are back to normal.

If your feeling adventurous about it, you can get steels and clutches from transtar for dirt cheap. ML4A 88-91 (single solenoid TCC control) trannies can be rebuilt with a new converter for around 260 bucks.

Modified by slowcivic2k at 7:41 PM 10/24/2007
Old 10-24-2007, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I wish I had talked to you before I listened to my local honda dealer... I've already pulled the CVT tranny out and I'm 75% complete converting it to manual.

O well, hopefully your info will save someone else time & $$$
Old 10-24-2007, 12:55 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

replace the start clutch...super easy to do.

Old 10-24-2007, 01:13 PM
im hench irl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh man, you know so much about these transmissions. Ima go for the transmission flush.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:15 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Default Re: (esco562)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by esco562 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Oh man, you know so much about these transmissions. Ima go for the transmission flush. </TD></TR></TABLE>

don't just flush it, burnish in the start clutch also. The start clutch is just a clutch pack like that in a Honda auto trans. There is no torque converter, so it needs something to be able to idle without moving while in a moving gear-like the torque converter.

After all the miles of starting from a stop, the start clutch can start to chatter- like that in a manual clutch. Fluid gets contaminated, etc....so, flush the fluid with the new CVT fluid, power brake the engine(this will "bed" in the start clutch again) a few times with a few minutes rest in between. Flush fluid again and test it out.

Again, this is only if you get a bad chatter or judder on starts
Old 10-24-2007, 06:48 PM
im hench irl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Evs-One)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Evs-One &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">don't just flush it, burnish in the start clutch also. The start clutch is just a clutch pack like that in a Honda auto trans. There is no torque converter, so it needs something to be able to idle without moving while in a moving gear-like the torque converter.

After all the miles of starting from a stop, the start clutch can start to chatter- like that in a manual clutch. Fluid gets contaminated, etc....so, flush the fluid with the new CVT fluid, power brake the engine(this will "bed" in the start clutch again) a few times with a few minutes rest in between. Flush fluid again and test it out.

Again, this is only if you get a bad chatter or judder on starts </TD></TR></TABLE>

Will do.. And those symptoms you described is exactly what's happening to my car. Just in the begining from a stop I get that "chatter," but then after its all smooth. Don't you need a special kind of "Honda CVT" fluid though? I doubt they will have it if I take it to my local Firestone shop. I know if I take it to my Honda dealer they're gona rape me with the price and labor.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:17 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Default Re: (esco562)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by esco562 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Will do.. And those symptoms you described is exactly what's happening to my car. Just in the begining from a stop I get that "chatter," but then after its all smooth. Don't you need a special kind of "Honda CVT" fluid though? I doubt they will have it if I take it to my local Firestone shop. I know if I take it to my Honda dealer they're gona rape me with the price and labor. </TD></TR></TABLE>

they may "rape" you, but they will do it right. Don't trust Firestone.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Evs-One)

I have my CVT tranny sitting in my garage. The tranny fluid from it looked normal (dark red)
Is there anything I can check on the tranny to see if it is OK after all??
I really wish I had talked to you before I started converting it to manual such a PITA swapping those damn pedals
your custom title needs to be CVT Guru
Old 04-22-2008, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

back from the dead...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by teal_dx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have my CVT tranny sitting in my garage. The tranny fluid from it looked normal (dark red)
I really wish I had talked to you before I started converting it to manual such a PITA swapping those damn pedals
your custom title needs to be CVT Guru </TD></TR></TABLE>

Can someone answer this man?
Old 04-22-2008, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: messed up cvt tranny (teal_dx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by teal_dx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> The auto ecu for the CVT will not know how to jive with a normal automatic tranny.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Im totaly clueless but can that just be something that is chipped into the ECU? Like just chip in the regular AUTO map?
Old 04-22-2008, 02:59 PM
Solbros Owns Me

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by teal_dx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have my CVT tranny sitting in my garage. The tranny fluid from it looked normal (dark red)
your custom title needs to be CVT Guru </TD></TR></TABLE>

wow...old post

Nothing you can really check while it's out of the car. Inspection of the start clutch is near impossible too, even when torn apart(unless you actually disassemble the unit, which would be a waste of time.

The fluid for CVT's is designed specifically for them...Honda CVT fluid . Some people/shops run Honda ATF-Z1 and are fine with it, but I would say go with the CVT fluid

Can ship you some for cheap!